Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should english become the official language of the U.S?

Newbie Ninea may be famous one day Ninea may be famous one day Ninea's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should english become the official language of the U.S?

She did not say that we should learn their language if we went to thier country. America has a language that the general populace knows, but their is no official language in america. If their was, it would not be america.

Otaku AnimeGeek may be famous one day AnimeGeek may be famous one day AnimeGeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel
    Well, it is true that most people in the US most likely speak English but there are also a lot of people that speak Spanish. I don't really agree with making English the official language because immigrants who move to the U.S. can't be expected to immediately know every single word in the English language. I think they should be considerate to these people and have things in there native language. I will say this though. I think that immigrants should learn how to speak English because that is the main language spoken in the U.S. after all. It just makes life easier if they can speak the language if only a little bit.
    I agree. The u.s is full of immigrants and we should be considerate of the languages they speak. But since the language of the u.s. is english it might be helpful to speak english. Not meaning they should forget there true language and not teach there children.
    -----------------------------Double Post Merge---------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninea
    She did not say that we should learn their language if we went to thier country. America has a language that the general populace knows, but their is no official language in america. If their was, it would not be america.
    I totally agree with you.
    Last edited by AnimeGeek; Jun 01, 2006 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ninea

I agree with what you’re saying. But the problem is if everyone in the nation doesn’t understand and speak at least one language in common then how anyone will talk to each other when a need arises like in disasters or accidents. Witch is why there should be a recognized language for the U.S. I’m not trying to kick other languages like Spanish but as a nation we should have things that unify us as a hole. This is one of them.

Otaku White_Mage88 may be famous one day White_Mage88 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel
    Well, it is true that most people in the US most likely speak English but there are also a lot of people that speak Spanish. I don't really agree with making English the official language because immigrants who move to the U.S. can't be expected to immediately know every single word in the English language. I think they should be considerate to these people and have things in there native language. I will say this though. I think that immigrants should learn how to speak English because that is the main language spoken in the U.S. after all. It just makes life easier if they can speak the language if only a little bit.
    I agree with you. You can't excpect someone to learn english just like that, and I do think that eventually they should learn english. I believe they will need to know english if they want to be able to make it in the U.S.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I don’t expect anyone to know the English language to the point where they should be posting digress on there wall but I would like people to at least have a level of competency where they can at least understand it on a general basic to mid level where they can understand what others are saying.

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

OK ok. Let's think this through. Besides the indians. And Spain. The English were the first to colonize here and make this place a country. And first foreigners say we can't practice our own religion openly because they dont believe it. And then people want our relgious monuments taken down so not to offend them and now you want to take our language away. I now support deportation of illigal immigrants. I'm sick and tired of having our country change so you feel more like home. If you want home, then go home! And stay there!

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Newbie AniFreak may be famous one day AniFreak may be famous one day AniFreak's Avatar
    Thanks

personaly i think english should be the official langauge of the U.S. because of 2 reasions. 1. most people ether know english or can basicly under
    stand it. 2. anyone who doesnt know english before they come here should learn because it is the most common langauge here.

I mean its not that hard to learn and there are other langauges that are alot harder to learn. all im really saying is you come here and you dont know or understand english learn it fast cause no one who matters (employers, elected officials, etc...) will be able to under stand you.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Up here in Canada we have two official languages, English and French.....all government workers MUST be competent in both languages. Same goes with the RCMP. If you get pulled over by the police, you can ask to be spoken to in French, and they are legally obliged to do so.

However, it's kind of stupid over here because in middle school we are forced to learn some french. There's no choice, you have to take a french course. But over in Quebec, students don't have to take an English course.....which I find is unfair. Honestly, I barely remember any French other than "hello.....my name is.....eggs.....the...." and maybe a few other words. I think that if Quebec is gonna force the rest of Canada to take some French courses, then they have to take some English.

As for the U.S. issue.....I think that English should be considered the official language because most people speak it there. I have no problems with immigrants, but if you're moving to a country then you should know at least some lingo, and not expect them to change rules just so you can understand them. That's YOUR responsibility, not the country's. Everything in the United States is geared towards the English language, so it only makes sense to have it as the official.

I don't care if people don't learn English if they move to Canada or the U.S, but if they don't, then they should be prepared to come up against some barriers when trying to communicate with those around them.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast