Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Should english become the official language of the U.S?

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should english become the official language of the U.S?

But the fundamentals of English remain the same for all English speaking countries. If you take someone from North America, and have them speak to someone from England without using colloquial terms, they will easily understand each other. Of course, there are examples such as "lorry" or "lavatory" vs "truck" and "bathroom", but the differences are not extreme when speaking proper English.

Ebonics is an extreme slang variation of English. It can only exist because of the English language, which means that it is a dialect. In schools, it is very rare to be taught a dialect in class. Whether it be English, Russian, Chinese, etc, whenever you are taught a language, you are taught the fundamentals, which is the proper form of the language.

Ebonics is not a proper form in itself. If you take someone from Russia, and someone from Spain and have them start a conversation, they won't know what the other one is saying because the two are speaking seperate languages. Take someone speaking English and someone speaking Ebonics, only one person will be able to understand the entire conversation, and that is the ebonics speaker. Why? Because the ebonics speaker knows English, but chooses to speak in Slang. The English speaker does not understand the slang words because it's a misused version of the language.

Anyhoo.....I've kind of last track at what I was going to get at, but I'll just some it up as ebonics isn't a true language, but a dialect, so it shouldn't be taught in schools.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

You just made my point about US English being a slang of England English. Since slang is in essence word with a particular meaning that are agreed on by a group of people OR minority to create there own language while still using most or all of another language. Just because its not in the extremes like ebonies doesn’t mean its not slang. For example if I went to England where English originates and asked for and elevator they most likely wouldn’t know what I’m referring to because they call it a lift.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

But the fact that ebonics IS such an extreme slang is what stops it from being a plausable language to be taught in school. Yes, you are fully correct that it is a language, because slang dialects are essentially a language, but it is warped in such a manner that it is not a proper language.

In my one post I brought up the cockney slang, which is another extreme variation of English. But it is recognized as a slang, and it is not taught in schools because of that reason.

What you're saying is correct, because it can be concieved as a language....it just isn't a 'proper' language, if that makes sense.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Ebonics is just prue gibberish, caused by the in-ability to speak the language correctly. I wouldnt even classify it as slang.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

In my post above I wasn’t referring to Ebonics as a language and frankly its not. I was just trying to say that US English could be considered to have many slang’s in comparison to England English where all English originates. Witch makes me wonder if we really are teaching true English in class since they teach US not England English?

Otaku Heartless_mage may be famous one day Heartless_mage may be famous one day Heartless_mage's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that the us should not adopt english as there mother language for one good reason

this country was built by foriegners* to get away from a monarchy that was forcing them to abide by certain guidelines to live in this country, so if we today did that we would be mocking the forefathers and there actions

*spelt wrong, to lazy to correct it

Click here to be Myspace groupies......lol
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is the Bunny Lord. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless_mage
    i think that the us should not adopt english as there mother language for one good reason

this country was built by foriegners* to get away from a monarchy that was forcing them to abide by certain guidelines to live in this country, so if we today did that we would be mocking the forefathers and there actions

*spelt wrong, to lazy to correct it
    Please dont revive thread older than 14 days.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6