View Poll Results: Should they go to hell?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 10.42%
  • No

51 53.13%
  • I don't really care

19 19.79%
  • I don't believe in the existence of hell

16 16.67%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Should gays go to hell?

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should gays go to hell?

Quote Originally Posted by KuwiRules145 View Post
    At my school we were having a debate if gays/bi's/lesibians should go to hell cause of the bible. It went on forever and it seems we haven't decided about it yet? As I ask our AO community do you think so? Should gays/bi's/lesbians go to hell cause of the bible says so?
    You don't go to Hell unless you fully reject God and don't WANT to go to Heaven. "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son . . ." (etc.) That's Scripture (John 3:16, one of the most quoted verses ever). Note that it says "For God so loved THE WORLD," not "For God so loved only heterosexual couples" or what have you. Being homosexual is not a sin (sodomy is!), so having tendencies toward the same gender is not enough for eternal damnation.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    You don't go to Hell unless you fully reject God and don't WANT to go to Heaven. "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son . . ." (etc.) That's Scripture (John 3:16, one of the most quoted verses ever). Note that it says "For God so loved THE WORLD," not "For God so loved only heterosexual couples" or what have you. Being homosexual is not a sin (sodomy is!), so having tendencies toward the same gender is not enough for eternal damnation.
    You should understand what a word means before saying something like that:

Main Entry: sod·omy
    Pronunciation: \sä-d-mē\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French sodomie, from Late Latin Sodoma Sodom; from the homosexual proclivities of the men of the city in Genesis 19:1–11
    Date: 13th century
    : anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal
    — sod·om·it·ic \sä-d-mi-tik\ or sod·om·it·i·cal \-ti-kl\ adjective

Definition taken from:Definition of sodomy - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Homosexuality is VERY MUCH A SIN per the Bible, but that isn't the question. The question is if they should go to hell and the Bible is quite clear that sin isn't what sends one to hell...only rejection of Jesus Christ as you lord and savior.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    You should understand what a word means before saying something like that:

Main Entry: sod·omy
    Pronunciation: \sä-d-m?\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French sodomie, from Late Latin Sodoma Sodom; from the homosexual proclivities of the men of the city in Genesis 19:1–11
    Date: 13th century
    : anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal
    — sod·om·it·ic \sä-d-mi-tik\ or sod·om·it·i·cal \-ti-kl\ adjective

Definition taken from:Definition of sodomy - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Homosexuality is VERY MUCH A SIN per the Bible, but that isn't the question. The question is if they should go to hell and the Bible is quite clear that sin isn't what sends one to hell...only rejection of Jesus Christ as you lord and savior.
    Thank you. I'm fully aware of what sodomy is, having read the dictionary myself. You're right, though; sin has nothing to do with Hell . . . it's all about rejection.

I know a young man - a flaming homosexual, no ifs, ands, or buts about it - who is a very pious individual. He clearly loves God and loves to serve God. I am convinced that he is going to go to Heaven when he dies, regardless of his sexual inclinations.

(P.S. The Oxford dictionary says:

1. An unnatural form of sexual intercourse, esp. that of one male with another.

1297 R. GLOUC. (Rolls) 9038 Mid e vile sunne of sodomye yproued hii were echon. 1387 TREVISA Higden (Rolls) III. 5 Mempricius..forsook his wyf at e laste, and vsede sodomye as a schrewe schulde. c1440 Jacob's Well 162 e xiiij. fote depth is sodomye, at is, synne aens kynde. 1536-40 Pilgr. Tale 407 The prophet..which knew before of there sodomi. 1577 tr. Bullinger's Decades (1592) 236 The abhominable sinne of Sodomie..is plainly forbidden. 1650 BULWER Anthropomet. 198 Wicked Sodomy, a sin so hateful to Nature it self that she abhors it. 1727 SWIFT Poisoning E. Curll Wks. 1755 III. I. 151 Heaven pardon me for publishing the Trials of sodomy. 1782 J. BROWN Nat. & Revealed Relig. I. i. 23 Polygamy must occasion..sodomy, bestiality, or the like. 1864 tr. Caspar's Forensic Med. III. 336 It is no secret that the unnatural connection of men with animals, sodomy in the restricted sense of the word, still sneaks about.
    fig. 1395 PURVEY Remonstr. (1851) 7 Symonie is gostli sodomie and eresie.
    2. An act or instance of this.

1593 G. HARVEY Pierce's Super. Wks. (Grosart) II. 271 Agrippa detesteth his monstrous veneries, and execrable Sodomies. 1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. I. iii. II. iv. (1651) 205 Those rapes,..Sodomies, buggeries of Monkes and Friers.

It is how the word is most frequently used. Homosexual intercourse was common in the ancient city of Sodom, for which it is named.)

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not think that gay people should go to hell....not at all
    I have no problem with them........and never did
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Seeing as the same segment of the bible (Leviticus) that calls homosexuality an abomination also details the proper procedure for animal sacrifice, disallows the eating of any land animals that aren't cloven-hooved and tells men that women are virtual untouchables during their period and should be locked away during those times lest the "pollute" the community...I'm thinking perhaps certain fundimentalist groups are being a little choosy when they decide to emphasize the all-important single line in the bible that tells us homosexuals are evil. It is a collection of dark-ages-level superstitions outlining what makes one ritually clean and foul. We disreguard nearly all of Leviticus as ridiculous, misogynistic or impractical today... except that ONE DAMN LINE.

There is far more in the New Testament about loving thy neighbor and the folly inherent in passing judgement on others.

Reguardless of whether homosexuality "creeps you out", looking for a way to literally dehumanize or demonize an entire segment of the population based on lines in a book (ANY book) is quite indicative of the hatred and judgement in your own soul. And I think THAT'S more likely to send you to hell in ANY religion than desire for someone of the same sex.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Please do more research on the subject before stating something is only listed once in the bible or that since it is old testament Judaic law it can be ignored given most of the Leviticus based scripture is no long in use (mainly since it is Judaic law and not applicable to gentiles). I say this as there are numerous sections of the bible which deal with this as being an unacceptable course of action, most are "loose" in their terminology so here is a section of New Testament which explicitly address this, I will point out this is a partial statement about a larger subject and you should read the whole chapter for complete context.

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." KJV
    I hate no one, nor do I judge them, I am not God. If the teachings of my religion state that something is wrong and I believe them to be the views of God, then I really don't see how that makes me a judge or harbor of hatred towards anyone. They are my beliefs and I force them on no one nor do I persecute them for their difference of opinion. Yet I have the RIGHT to voice my views the same way they can voice theirs, it is a choice we all have to heed or dismiss other’s views.

To make the statement that because people state something is wrong based on the teachings of their religion (which are contained in "books") makes them out to “literally dehumanize or demonize an entire segment of the population” or that it causes them to harbor “hatred and judgment” towards others isn’t right by your own definition.

Could I not say your opinion of other’s beliefs just shows to me your demonizing of them and your own hatred and judgment towards them for their beliefs and it really isn’t those with religious beliefs who have the problem?

I am not saying that to fling mud at you …BUT to say… who am I or you to judge anothers’ inner feelings? No one can say what you really think or feel but you.

I live my life to the standards of the Bible yet have never cast stones at others, I realize I am not perfect with loads of my own “sins” and thus I only seek to find my way to the standard of life I have chosen.

If it is something that helps me why shouldn’t I be able to share it with others?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The entire segment on Sodom and Gammorah contains, in itself, no specific condemnation of homosexuality. The act may be called "unnatural" but no punishment or prohibition is set for those actions. The tale itself functions just as well as a caution against being a poor hosts in general as it does a caution against same-sex coupling.

God is well aware of the cities' sate BEFORE he sends messengers there, he punishes them only after they treat those messengers poorly (saving the one man who treated them well... by, incidentally, throwing his own virgin daughters to the horde to be raped. Another bit of the story that gets "thrown out" when we're condemnning homosexuals to eternal hellfire).

I've read the bible... but no, I don't pour over it looking for reasons to be a bastard to people or bring judgement down on them. Maybe I missed a few stipulations about how certain decisions who make you a terrible person in the eyes of all.

But according to the bible, don't ALL who don't believe in God go to hell? All who lie, cheat, steal, adulter, and have premarital sex? All who believe in the "wrong" religions. I guess that means us homosexuals, transexuals and bisexuals will be in great company when God leaves us all in eternal fire.

Heaven is sounding more like the Nazi vision of a New World Order every day...

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NevesElocin View Post
    Everyone is entitled to do what makes them happy. Unless it harms another persons life, they should be allowed to do what they please without being critisized.
    Thanks for beating me to the punch! ^_^

I totally agree with NevesElocin. WTF does it matter if they're gay or not. They're happy aren't they? They're not forcing thier gayness upon anyone, they're no more or less sinners than anyone else on the planet.

Screw what the bible says! Homosexuality has been around since before the birth of Christ! Since before the Roman Empire!! Homosexuality is probably just as old as heterosexuality. I'm not gay, nor will I ever be, but you can't use being gay as a valid reason to condemn them to hell. That's like saying I'm going to hell for liking women. I don't hear anyone telling me that being straight is a sin, why should being gay?

I know homosexuals that are really good people and no homosexual should deserve criticizm, bashing, stereotyping or condemnation of any sort. It's unfair. I swear man, gays are like the new black people or something! I remember learning in history that we were treated like sinners just for being black, now it's the gay people's turn? Who's next?
    Are we gonna start condemning Mexicans next?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast