+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should Music Define Culture

Otaku kimchi24 may be famous one day kimchi24 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Should Music Define Culture

Quote Originally Posted by Raimann View Post
    and music is for the ears to judge not the people to judge. if people want to wear something wierd, let them. if they wanna listen to music, let them. if you dont like my music, i can find a million people that do, so my choice cant be wrong if others can relate to my style of music

Thats what i've been trying to say but still there are ignorant people who think that and well they shoudl stop cuz even if they wanted to they can stop us from likeing one type of music or not. I think that people who do think that music define culture should stay in thier own palce then. sperate us. ifthats how they want to live. watch how much less of a muticultural connection there will be and see how much war they ca be if we dont settle oru diff4rences. im probably egtting off topic so i'll stop

I praise the one who is able to win it all and still live for it...[/CENTER

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it matter if you listen to music that is of other culture?Of course no.In fact if you actually listen to anything that was created by others rather than you own culture,you can gain some insight to how they express themselves emotionally and spiritually and hence gain some knowledge.At least that's what i think.

Newbie Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface may be famous one day Nothingface's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe this explains my situation;

I'm a mix of Russian/Italian & Spanish. I listen to hiphop [Jedi Mind Tricks, Jurassic 5, Nas, The Game, Blackstar, etc] I also listen to heavy/death/melodic metal [In Flames, Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype, Caliban, Mnemic, etc].

So no I don't think music portrays different cultures, for example; White rappers. Metal bands with black/or mixed singers.
    He speaks to me through sounds and bells.

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

and music is for the ears to judge not the people to judge. if people want to wear something wierd, let them. if they wanna listen to music, let them. if you dont like my music, i can find a million people that do, so my choice cant be wrong if others can relate to my style of music
    The interesting thing about music is that it is so much more accessible. Everyone has been saying, "Well, I'm not black but I love rap...", which is, and isn't, a new sort of phenominon.

Within music, this is just a new trend. Back in the day, people similarly had to defend their appreciations for jazz music, which, at its creation, was typically, "black music".

In saying this, one must realize that there is nothing particularly charged about music in itself. Drums beats or saxophones are no more typically "black" than whiny guitars are "white". It is all music, and it is the human's appreciation for music that allows us all to collect and enjoy a wide collection of music, despite whether the artists are big freaking black guys or a collection of scrawny white suburbans.

However, in our culture, this sort of diversity and integration is not always so clean. Before Dave Chappelle came onto the scene, white people couldn't laugh at black comedians other than Sinbad. If it were a bunch of white people sitting in one of their mothers' basement, then sure, maybe they could watch the Chris Rock special on comedy central and laugh, but if there was a black guy in the room, hooooooooo no. It would just get quiet. Maybe that's just my experience, but I think that Chapelle really sort of made racial humor a little less taboo. Some people say that he just perpetuates stereotypes, but I really don't think that is the case.

Like Raimann said, it is the gangstas who try and rap about their cash moneyz that perpetuate stereotypes.

But regardless, our culture isn't going to vastly change because of 50 Cent or Tupac (who I believe is still alive and writing music). Hiphop isn't just a trend, but the superfluous writing of the contemporary artists is. Music evolves and builds off the past. Hopefully we'll see artists like Sage Francis sit in the limelight a little more, artists who actually put thought and consideration into their music.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Saddly this is the time where its what the music that dictates the persons personality. I mean you look at most of the social groups around and you can be sure they are linked to different types of music.

Emo - Shouting and depressive
    Goth - Dark and aggressive
    Chav - Pop and sexual inclined
    Skater - Rock and loud

Yes they even associate colour of skin with types of music. I suppose its the time where its not about status that defines a person but the taste in music. Its the same where if you go around the world. Music has become the symbol of status i suppose in a way.

I for one don't like how people can categorize you in something shouldn't even matter. Yes i like listening to Rock music and Alternative on occasion. But that doesn't mean that I am one depressive person or loud?
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface View Post
    I believe this explains my situation;

I'm a mix of Russian/Italian & Spanish. I listen to hiphop [Jedi Mind Tricks, Jurassic 5, Nas, The Game, Blackstar, etc] I also listen to heavy/death/melodic metal [In Flames, Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype, Caliban, Mnemic, etc].

So no I don't think music portrays different cultures, for example; White rappers. Metal bands with black/or mixed singers.
    so i see by the posts that yo fellow ao members agree with me, but the thing i dont get is this. some music, like the stylings of Nothingface, contradict eachother, like i have the exact same taste in music, but rap has dissed fellow metal bands, and metal bands make fun of rap. so technically, do the musicians that post the music support the steriotype that some people should not be involved in certain types of music. for example, black people make fun of white rappers, even when we have eminem, and many more (ok not that much) and metal death bands discourage black people from joining, even tho its just music. so in total, i think that since people tend to follow other famous people, and some famous musicians tend to re-enforce the steriotype, is that why some people who, lets say ' tend to not be involved with social correct music' are excluded? your thought please.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Re: Should Music Define Culture

No, but I like rap and r&b! Some black people like country and other music,but I would never get into that mess! I like rap and r&b!

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

so technically, do the musicians that post the music support the steriotype that some people should not be involved in certain types of music. for example, black people make fun of white rappers, even when we have eminem, and many more (ok not that much) and metal death bands discourage black people from joining, even tho its just music. so in total, i think that since people tend to follow other famous people, and some famous musicians tend to re-enforce the steriotype, is that why some people who, lets say ' tend to not be involved with social correct music' are excluded? your thought please.

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking for thoughts on whether artists themselves create the illusion that their style of music is only for those who share their cultural background?

Well, look at it this way: The majority of popular musicians are only in it for the money, and they don't generally make money quickly by trying new and innovative things. So they continue to reinforce the stereotypes presented in and by their music, because that's what gets picked up by major recording labels. Would those of you who like rap take seriously the music of a black rapper who grew up in the suburbs and made songs about having a comfortable life? Probably not. The real problem is us, the consumers, who refuse to accept anything other than what we're used to and have come to expect from artists and their music. If we'd just let go of our notion that we are betraying our respective cultures and openly enjoy music in any form that suits us, we'd stop getting all this stereotyped, rehashed, cookie-cutter BS that the record companies keep feeding us. We also wouldn't have to deal with people saying we aren't the right color to listen to the music we like.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast