+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Should Music Define Culture

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should Music Define Culture

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    If I understand your question correctly, you're asking for thoughts on whether artists themselves create the illusion that their style of music is only for those who share their cultural background?

Well, look at it this way: The majority of popular musicians are only in it for the money, and they don't generally make money quickly by trying new and innovative things. So they continue to reinforce the stereotypes presented in and by their music, because that's what gets picked up by major recording labels. Would those of you who like rap take seriously the music of a black rapper who grew up in the suburbs and made songs about having a comfortable life? Probably not. The real problem is us, the consumers, who refuse to accept anything other than what we're used to and have come to expect from artists and their music. If we'd just let go of our notion that we are betraying our respective cultures and openly enjoy music in any form that suits us, we'd stop getting all this stereotyped, rehashed, cookie-cutter BS that the record companies keep feeding us. We also wouldn't have to deal with people saying we aren't the right color to listen to the music we like.
    yes you got my question right gren, and your answer gave me a couple of minuets to think. since money is the root of all hapiness and evil, the artists dont care, and the people that are the fools are the listeners that decide that they (the artists) live like this, and they should too. i would be a complete idiot for 100 bux of tv, but am i rele like that, no. rap artists barely tell the truth when they say that they sold drugs and still do. if your rich, then whats the point? there are people that sell dugs cuz they're like 'wow now ima 50 cent, or mike jones' well no, they sold drugs (ppl in general) not cuz famous ppl said they did, it was to make ends meet for the family. if you have lights, and water at anytime you want, and you sell drugs, your a follower to money and the illision of 'coolness'. and for emo ppl, the emo bands do not sulk everyday, they are the people that hopped on the bandwagon wishing to make money on the 'emo mouvement'. they are emo when, 1. money is around. 2.fans are around 3. media is around. at home, they're happy as ever enjoying the money offa idiots that like em. but if you like the music, hey, w\e thats fine, just remember that what people say aint always true.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Newbie Cobra_Commander is just another face in the crowd Cobra_Commander's Avatar
    Thanks

I think PEOPLE should define culture. I think everyone should be influenced by themself and be comfortable with who they are. It's okay to have an influence but I personally think people should do what they do because THEY want to do it and they feel good doing it.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it defines our culture, it just gives us a reflection of it.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

I don't mind if it defines ones culture or singles out others as classified. It shows how America is diverse in many ways. If a culture and race is so proud of what they are and wants to make their creations a symbol and banner of who they are, so be it. More power to them. It only shows how the US is truly one big melting pot of many different cultures, beliefs, and opinions.

Wow that made me giggle a little when I wrote it.

In truth I really don't care about what others would think. I myself do hate fads though and it kinda makes me angry seeing others drop so low that they can't even really define themselves and have to hide behind another. Whatever though. Wiggers, rappers, emo, punks, ehh things like that. Whatever title you go by, thumbs up.

Bringin down the people and such, making fun, insulting, classifying others, hell its our right and its not like its going to change anytime soon. Cruel may it be, but eh, life goes round and just another little problem in the world it seems.

Newbie worldpeace2529 is off to a good start worldpeace2529's Avatar
    Thanks
    People shouldn't care about what kind of music others listen to if it's not the same as them, I mean listen to the music you like and don't listen to what people tell you to.
    Ya and I like punk, and i'm white, so? there are black people who like punk... well not any that i kno, but i'm sure there are some

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    I don't mind if it defines ones culture or singles out others as classified. It shows how America is diverse in many ways. If a culture and race is so proud of what they are and wants to make their creations a symbol and banner of who they are, so be it. More power to them. It only shows how the US is truly one big melting pot of many different cultures, beliefs, and opinions.

Wow that made me giggle a little when I wrote it.

In truth I really don't care about what others would think. I myself do hate fads though and it kinda makes me angry seeing others drop so low that they can't even really define themselves and have to hide behind another. Whatever though. Wiggers, rappers, emo, punks, ehh things like that. Whatever title you go by, thumbs up.

Bringin down the people and such, making fun, insulting, classifying others, hell its our right and its not like its going to change anytime soon. Cruel may it be, but eh, life goes round and just another little problem in the world it seems.
    VERY WELL SAID!!! I was thinking the same thing for the last paragraph thingy!
    Last edited by Sazzy; Feb 03, 2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Try not to double post infuture

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4