+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 19

Thread: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

  1. #1
    Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Right where you think I am
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    Hi guys! This is something I have never understood. I don’t understand why a president can’t serve more then two terms. I don’t understand what kind of negativity that would bring. In fact, the U.S. didn’t start doing this until after Franklin Roosevelt’s presidency. To me, if a president is doing a good job then I would like them to be in office as long as possible. Not to mention if the president is willing to run again shouldn't they be given the choice to run for the presidency a third term?

    So what do you guys think? Do you see the negativity I don’t see? Or do you agree with me?

  2. #2
    Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Under The Sea, Florida
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    They used to be able to serve more terms but when the 22nd amendment was created it stated that "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

    President Elect-Articles

    I agree with it. It's nice to have new ideas in the White House every two terms if the same president is elected twice. I don't think they should be able to serve more then 8 years.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™


    Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

  3. #3
    Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Right where you think I am
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-lyrra View Post
    They used to be able to serve more terms but when the 22nd amendment was created it stated that "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

    President Elect-Articles
    Yes, I know this but what I don't understand why this amendment was passed. To me there is no point to it. Amendments are there to prevent something bad. I don't see the bad in a president serving more than two terms.

  4. #4
    Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Under The Sea, Florida
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    Sorry misread your question then.

    I still stand by the fact that it's nice to move over and give someone a chance at running the country after 8 years of presidency. By that time it's due for new ideas that was not thought about by the previous president. Plus some people might think that they president is doing a good job but others might think the total opposite so it's more of a chance to let others move into play and give it their best shot at pleasing both the people and the government.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™


    Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

  5. #5
    ~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the gallery
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    I agree with Ky-lyrra. It's good to get fresh and new ideas into a leadership for a country.

    Australia's last Prime Minister was so for 10 years. He may have been great in leading and great when it came to economics (or some would say..), but he was backward in thinking when it came to social and environmental issues.

    What it resulted in is backward laws, that need to be changed to suit the changing society and values. Changing a President every two terms is a sure way to get things moving for a changing society.

  6. #6
    Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Right where you think I am
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-lyrra View Post
    Sorry misread your question then.

    I still stand by the fact that it's nice to move over and give someone a chance at running the country after 8 years of presidency. By that time it's due for new ideas that was not thought about by the previous president. Plus some people might think that they president is doing a good job but others might think the total opposite so it's more of a chance to let others move into play and give it their best shot at pleasing both the people and the government.

    Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    I agree with Ky-lyrra. It's good to get fresh and new ideas into a leadership for a country.

    Australia's last Prime Minister was so for 10 years. He may have been great in leading and great when it came to economics (or some would say..), but he was backward in thinking when it came to social and environmental issues.

    What it resulted in is backward laws, that need to be changed to suit the changing society and values. Changing a President every two terms is a sure way to get things moving for a changing society.
    I hear you guys out about how it gives the chance for new ideas but elections give us this chance, too. Even if a president could serve for more than two terms there would still be elections deciding if they would serve more than that. So then you can decide if you want to stay with the same president whose ideas you still favor or go with the guy who is fresh with new ideas.

  7. #7
    ~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the gallery
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    I hear you guys out about how it gives the chance for new ideas but elections give us this chance, too. Even if a president could serve for more than two terms there would still be elections deciding if they would serve more than that. So then you can decide if you want to stay with the same president whose ideas you still favor or go with the guy who is fresh with new ideas.
    Of course even if there is more than two terms, the people would still get to decide. But even if the people decided to keep a president in for more than 2 terms, doesn't mean it's a good thing for a country. I think it's very rare for a person to change their way of thinking eg. if a president doesn't believe in climate change = him not supporting anything do with it for the 10 years he is in power. For some people no matter who you support in politics, it can be seen as a bad thing. Then again..because they were voted in again - does mean that the country has spoken and is obvious that the people like him.

  8. #8
    Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    2,172
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts

    Re: Should a President Serve For More Than Two Terms?

    It's primarily to prevent America from becoming what it fought against in the revolutionary war: monarchy, or worse, dictatorship. The only reason Roosevelt stayed in office as long as he did was because of the depression and World War II. George Washington foresaw this which is why he stepped down after his second term. It's simply maintaining the democratic integrity of our democracy. Without these kind of guidelines, it would be elected King Bush the second. Yeah, scared me too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Western adapted japanese anime/manga terms.
    By AniManga Hound in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 08, 2006, 12:24 PM
  2. Privacy Statement/Terms of Service
    By Sinistra in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 21, 2005, 05:08 PM
  3. Prison Terms for those that download licensed products
    By Miroku4444 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 22, 2005, 04:33 PM
  4. We have come to terms
    By Fallen Hero in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2005, 04:03 PM
  5. If you were President
    By kryptonic in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Dec 17, 2004, 01:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts