Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Should teachers get paid more money?

Newbie Crash Override may be famous one day Crash Override may be famous one day Crash Override's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should teachers get paid more money?

yes i think teachers should get more money because they are the ones who teach us how to suceed and be successful in life.
    Im the one who walks and lives in the shadows.

Newbie michiru726 may be famous one day michiru726 may be famous one day michiru726's Avatar
    Thanks

yes... i do believe teachers ought to gain more salary than they are receiving... i totally admire those teachers who teaches in public schools, like here in the Philippines, education is a necessity especially in the growing population of the youth. they are given very little salary, yet they are given the most stressful jobs. imagine yourself handling 80 kids (yeah, 80 here in the Phil... u.u) in one section, and manage to teach them all. what if there's a fight or something, ha! i would probably cry blood in front of them.

and still, there are those voluntary teachers, who don't receive any salary just for the sake of educating little ones from the tribes up here in the mountains, or in a secluded area wherein technology is in several miles radius.

so teachers are to be given high respect, (and higher salary of course ) as they are one of the foundations of our knowledge. they are the ones also responsible into molding us into reaching our aspirations etc... etc... i just hope that the government would look back in their lessons as to how to manage the people's money.

"Deviously Revamped."

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

I do believe that teachers should be paid more. They are the ones who educate the poor to become the rich. Or the rich to become richer. Either way that should help earn them their pay along with their students.

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Otaku Arnys Battle 2 Champion sora the king of dreams may be famous one day sora the king of dreams may be famous one day sora the king of dreams's Avatar
    Thanks

ya I think they should get paid more.

but I have plenty of money for them jkjk

I live in the shadows and I am as fast as the speed of light, but I use my ability's to help people even though they fear me for who I am.

A Brand new Theme song for all my friends who use to come to Ao and the People that still come's to Ao.
    http://video.freevideoblog.com/hotte...7631ca1c2a.htm

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Pay actually varies from school distric to school district, and from each region of the country. Down south, teachers don't get paid as much, but in the north, they are paid fairly well.

Also, a teacher is paid more, depending on their seniority in the school. New teachers may have have a 20-40k yearly salary, while the old timers would have about a 50-60k yearly salary (assuming we're in the north).

So, I say they should stop complaining. It's a cushy job. I mean, teachers got the summers off, too. They don't 'hang around' the school when classes let out in june. They have vacation, during which they can rake in a bundle with a bit of tutoring.

It's a GOOD job. Anyone in the north with a teacher's certificate is on easy street compared to many.

PLus, there are usually an anus-load of benefits.

Stop complaining, you money-grubbing cash WHORES.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Also, elementary school student are damn easy to teach, and if your a College Professor, you'll make a few K more than most.

I say if they don't like the teachers salary, they just get a government job. Mmm-MMM, Can you say big, fat, juicy pension?
    Last edited by AniManga Hound; May 22, 2006 at 06:20 PM.

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Newbie dekester22 may be famous one day dekester22 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AniManga Hound
    Pay actually varies from school distric to school district, and from each region of the country. Down south, teachers don't get paid as much, but in the north, they are paid fairly well.
    That's true to a degree. Cost of living in the Gulf region (for example) is peanuts compared to the urban areas of the other regions. Likewise, teachers pay (as a rule of thumb, though not always the case) is lower in the Gulf region by comparison to other regions. However, within each school district within each state within each region, pay does vary.

Also, a teacher is paid more, depending on their seniority in the school. New teachers may have have a 20-40k yearly salary, while the old timers would have about a 50-60k yearly salary (assuming we're in the north).
    New teachers make about 20-25K and the sliding scale gives them approximately 1k per year raise. The sliding-scale as a whole usually goes up commensurate with the local cost-of-living, depending on how the union contracts were written. That is not a lot, considering that in my profession, I typically recieve a 4-5% raise each year. That is more than what a teacher will receive. Therefore, my salary in the private sector is going up at a faster rate than my salary would have if I were a teacher.

Teachers who have been around for typically 20+ years reach the max on the sliding scale (again, depending on the contract language) and make around 50-60k. This is certainly good pay, no question. But keep in mind that teachers are required to keep up their education, which they must pay for themselves. Teachers typically are required to purchase certain materials for classrooms with their own money. Some items certainly can be expensed through the district, but a lot of times the districts don't re-imburse the full amount because of pre-set limits. And, typically someone with an equivalent education as a teacher who works in the private sector, they can generally expect to be making in the 50-75k range (and aren't required to keep paying for continued education!)

So, I say they should stop complaining. It's a cushy job. I mean, teachers got the summers off, too. They don't 'hang around' the school when classes let out in june. They have vacation, during which they can rake in a bundle with a bit of tutoring.

Teachers mostly are quiet and don't complain publicly. At least not until contract negotiation time! lol And if its such a cushy job, how come teaching jobs are never amongst the highest in demand? And most teachers I know don't take summers off. They are eather teaching summer school (for the equivalent of around $10 per hour) and/or are taking classes themselves. A lot of teachers are involved with summer programs are doing "volunteer" work during the summer. Their schedule certainly is less rigorous than mine in the private sector (certainly the summers are easier than the rest of the school year for teachers and they get a lot of holidays off, too), but don't try to make it out like they just go on trips to Europe every summer or just lay around their house eating ice cream and watching Brady Bunch reruns. lol There are some that do, but they are the exception not the rule.

It's a GOOD job. Anyone in the north with a teacher's certificate is on easy street compared to many.
    Compared to many with similar educational backgrounds? How many people with Master's degrees do you know that get paid less than teachers do? The majority of people with Master's degrees outside of education make more money than do teachers with Master's degrees.

Yeah, but they aren't any better than what anybody else gets in the private sector. In fact, my insurance through my company is better than what my wife is getting through her school district.

So anyone who has spent nearly $20k on undergraduate education and another $10k on post-graduate education, plus usually another 3-5k in continued education expenses over the years just in order to earn an average wage is considered a "money-grubbing cash WHORE"? Jeez, maybe you should go decaf next time.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Also, elementary school student are damn easy to teach, and if your a College Professor, you'll make a few K more than most.
    Oh, please. Do you even realize how hard it is to keep 30 little kids on task for 8 hrs each day? It's by far harder to be an elementary teacher than it is a high-school teacher. Not even close, pal. Oh, and College Professors aren't "teachers" they are, well, professors. Public School teachers don't just automatically become College Professors. The job routes aren't connected. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it does only very rarely. Usually people who become College Professors do so straight out of their post-graduate work. Whereas teachers go to college in order to get a degree in Education, college professors usually get degrees in specific fields and attain a high-level of expertise in their field. THey continue to do Master's work and/or Doctoral work, and in doing so, take jobs as "assistant professors" or "lab instructors" etc, and then work their way to becoming tenured professors. They by-and-large do not get degrees in Education - except of course the ones who go on to teach the college students who want to become teachers.

I say if they don't like the teachers salary, they just get a government job. Mmm-MMM, Can you say big, fat, juicy pension?
    Uhhhhhhh, public school teachers are government jobs. Duh. That's why they are called "public" school teachers. They are paid by the "public" to teach. And most teachers are teachers because that's what they like to do. As opposed to becoming a Customs officer or Fireman or work in the County Auditor's office, etc. Those are all government jobs, too, but teacher become teachers (at least the overwhelming majority do) because they enjoy working with kids and want to make a difference.

After completing this post, I am now wondering if your post was completely sarcastic. If it was, then please accept my apology for this entire post. If it wasn't, well, it should've been.

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

dont know how much they get so i dont know but they would need to be payed a 10000 pounds for beening at my school

Otaku bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper's Avatar
    Thanks

Obviously you don't know much about what it takes to be a teacher. My mom is a teacher and so is my aunt. Elementary school students are a hassle to teach , kindergarden is worse . And then you get hosed down in High and Middle school. So no , it is not an easy job. And I am talking in general about teachers. North always make more , but if you look at people in New York or in bigger cities , schools are not that well off as smaller schools and teachers don't get paid as well. Oh yeah in the summer, either they are out going to workshops and learning new teaching methods or preparing for the next year. Sure they get summer off , but their job is not really over.
    Bloodymoonreaper

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast