Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: should they ban violent and sexual realted games?

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: should they ban violent and sexual realted games?

she's right, that is the worst yet.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    Exactly, i remember back when i was young that for every bad word that i said i was slapped on the face, now parents don't really care, heck sometimes parents are being slapped by their own kids.
    YES I AGREE!!!!!!!!
    on maury they had a show about wild teens and some kids are running the house hold rather than the kids

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

despite how fun that would be i think that chaos would ensue.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    n it isnt. this generation is the worst. young girls as young as 11 are having kids
    But are they beating the crap out of each other because of the video games? No, they are not. Violence from video games does not influence children. Violence in real life does. May it violence and abuse in the home or just real violence on the media or on the streets. Sex is in the norm, but violence is just a human thing.
    I love my girlfriend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innerhell View Post
    But are they beating the crap out of each other because of the video games? No, they are not. Violence from video games does not influence children. Violence in real life does. May it violence and abuse in the home or just real violence on the media or on the streets. Sex is in the norm, but violence is just a human thing.
    good point, my friends turned violent watchin TV. i showed them some of teh stuff i learned by copyin a VG (no i don't do that often), and kicked their @$$es so now they fight on games instead of reality.

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innerhell View Post
    sorry but you are soooo wrong. kidsget violent by the real life thats true but video games play a role. all tyhese wrestling games are having kids interpret the moves they see and grand theft auto isnt better. my brother is 8 and he is becoming like the thugs in grand theft because of the game. so im sorry but your post is soo wrong

Thanks

GTA is not for 8 yr olds either. pplz that young should be watchin blues clues. not to be mean, but your bro grew up too fast.

Thanks

Violent Video Games Produce Violent Behavior
    From Apply Now,
    Your Guide to Mental Health Resources.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Read a summary of 2005 research that found more mixed results.

Research published in 2000 demonstrates that playing violent video games can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Two studies by psychologists Craig Anderson and Karen Dill published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology looked at the effects of violent video games in the lab and in real life. This powerful combination of two studies presents persuasive evidence that violent video games do indeed increase aggression in some players.

Study 1: Video Game Violence in the Real World

In the first study the authors surveyed college students concerning their use of video games and their reported aggressive delinquent behaviors in the past. They also measured the personality trait of aggressiveness to see how that related to the other variables. Students who had played more aggressive video games had also engaged in more aggressive delinquent behavior. Trait aggressiveness made this relationship even stronger. The students who spent the most total time playing video games had the lowest academic grades in college.

Study 2: Video Game Violence in the Lab

The second study by the authors looked at the effects of actual video game violence. Subjects were college students who played either a violent video game (Wolfenstein 3D) or a non-violent game (Myst). These games had been chosen in a pilot study because they differed only in the degree of violence in the game and not on the amount of physiological arousal that they produced. Following video game play the students took some tests and participated in a "Competitive reaction time task" where they were told that they were playing against another student. They were told that they could blast the other student with a noise if they won, and that they could vary the intensity and duration of the blast.

Students in both groups blasted their opponent longer and louder following trials when they had lost and their opponent had just blasted them. Students who had played Wolfenstein 3D blasted their opponent longer and louder on such trials than students who had played Myst. Female students blasted their opponents longer and louder on all trials than male students.

The authors final conclusions are best stated by quoting the article. They state:

The present research demonstrated that in both a correlational investigation using self-reports of real-world aggressive behaviors and an experimental investigation using a standard, objective laboratory measure of aggression, violent video game play was positively related to increases in aggressive behavior. In the laboratory, college students who played a violent video game behaved more aggressively toward an opponent than did students who had played a nonviolent video game. Outside the laboratory, students who reported playing more violent video games over a period of years also engaged in more aggressive behavior in their own lives. Both types of studies–correlational—real delinquent behaviors and experimental—laboratory aggressive behaviors have their strengths and weaknesses. The convergence of findings across such disparate methods lends considerable strength to the main hypothesis that exposure to violent video games can increase aggressive behavior. (Anderson & Dill, 2000)

The authors note that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold enjoyed playing violent video games, and they speculate that these games played a role in their violent acts at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado in April of 1999. Eric Harris had actually modified a version of the game Doom and placed it on his Website. In his version there were two shooters, extra weapons, and the other people in the game couldn't shoot back. He and Klebold essentially acted-out their version of Doom on innocent classmates.

These studies should be of particular concern to parents of teenagers. Playing violent video games may not be the innocent activity that many parents think it is. Based on this new evidence I recommend that parents closely monitor their teenagers' video game play. Violent video game play should be limited. Maybe the next school shooting can be prevented.

HERE IS PROOF!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast