Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: should they ban violent and sexual realted games?

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: should they ban violent and sexual realted games?

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    n it isnt. this generation is the worst. young girls as young as 11 are having kids
    Uh, according to FBI records, teen violence is down. According to other official records (can't remember off the top of my head) teen pregnancy is down.

Obviously, you can't remember the 80's and early 90's. Ohoho, but I do. This is not the worst generation of youth, not even close. The highest spike of teen pregnancy and violence was over 30 years ago, when there was no 'violent/sexual music' music, at least not by today's standards, and there were no video games, period.

There are games that small children should not play. However, the average gamer is 27 years old, and all of these 'horrible, inappropriate' games have ratings and a listing on the back of why they're rated that way. I'll be damned if I let someone else's parents tell me what I can and can't enjoy.

Oh, and it's fahrenheit 451, not 181. It's the temperature at which paper burns. It's a wonderful book written by Ray Bradburry. If you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and go pick it up.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

Violent Video Games Produce Violent Behavior
    From Apply Now,
    Your Guide to Mental Health Resources.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Read a summary of 2005 research that found more mixed results.

Research published in 2000 demonstrates that playing violent video games can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Two studies by psychologists Craig Anderson and Karen Dill published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology looked at the effects of violent video games in the lab and in real life. This powerful combination of two studies presents persuasive evidence that violent video games do indeed increase aggression in some players.

Study 1: Video Game Violence in the Real World

In the first study the authors surveyed college students concerning their use of video games and their reported aggressive delinquent behaviors in the past. They also measured the personality trait of aggressiveness to see how that related to the other variables. Students who had played more aggressive video games had also engaged in more aggressive delinquent behavior. Trait aggressiveness made this relationship even stronger. The students who spent the most total time playing video games had the lowest academic grades in college.

Study 2: Video Game Violence in the Lab

The second study by the authors looked at the effects of actual video game violence. Subjects were college students who played either a violent video game (Wolfenstein 3D) or a non-violent game (Myst). These games had been chosen in a pilot study because they differed only in the degree of violence in the game and not on the amount of physiological arousal that they produced. Following video game play the students took some tests and participated in a "Competitive reaction time task" where they were told that they were playing against another student. They were told that they could blast the other student with a noise if they won, and that they could vary the intensity and duration of the blast.

Students in both groups blasted their opponent longer and louder following trials when they had lost and their opponent had just blasted them. Students who had played Wolfenstein 3D blasted their opponent longer and louder on such trials than students who had played Myst. Female students blasted their opponents longer and louder on all trials than male students.

The authors final conclusions are best stated by quoting the article. They state:

The present research demonstrated that in both a correlational investigation using self-reports of real-world aggressive behaviors and an experimental investigation using a standard, objective laboratory measure of aggression, violent video game play was positively related to increases in aggressive behavior. In the laboratory, college students who played a violent video game behaved more aggressively toward an opponent than did students who had played a nonviolent video game. Outside the laboratory, students who reported playing more violent video games over a period of years also engaged in more aggressive behavior in their own lives. Both types of studies–correlational—real delinquent behaviors and experimental—laboratory aggressive behaviors have their strengths and weaknesses. The convergence of findings across such disparate methods lends considerable strength to the main hypothesis that exposure to violent video games can increase aggressive behavior. (Anderson & Dill, 2000)

The authors note that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold enjoyed playing violent video games, and they speculate that these games played a role in their violent acts at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado in April of 1999. Eric Harris had actually modified a version of the game Doom and placed it on his Website. In his version there were two shooters, extra weapons, and the other people in the game couldn't shoot back. He and Klebold essentially acted-out their version of Doom on innocent classmates.

These studies should be of particular concern to parents of teenagers. Playing violent video games may not be the innocent activity that many parents think it is. Based on this new evidence I recommend that parents closely monitor their teenagers' video game play. Violent video game play should be limited. Maybe the next school shooting can be prevented.

HERE IS PROOF!!!!!!
    Have you ever heard of replication?

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

they shouldnt ban them...
    I mean ppl buy games to have fun, to leave all their stress and to do what in real life u wouldnt be able to do.... now with all the games I think ppl would be more likely to tho those kind of stuff in reall life....
    now the thing is how lil kids get the games.... if ppl dont want their kids to play those games..... simply dont give them the game..... is that too hard?
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, parents do need to pay more attention,society needs to pay attention as well. It feels like everybody has a "personal responsibility" problem these days. I think ppl "give a fxck less" more than ever. You know it. Cynicism is at an all-time high. I think it is because ignorance is too dangerous nowadays.Ppl are getting more paranoid all the time.........It's spirit killing.

Anyways on the whole video game ban subject, it's simple..........Hell Naw!! Freedom of Speech, Baby!! And if ppl feel strong enough about it, no one can stop it! They can regulate and pass laws......But they can't truly stop it!! As long as someone wants to play a violent, sexual video game, they are gonna fxckin do it!!
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

S.E.L - sexy etna lover Baal may be famous one day Baal may be famous one day Baal's Avatar
    Thanks

heck no! without does violent games what will 15-up old gamers will play the adventures of winnie- tha poo?

besides in this days most of the people like violent game stake example RE, splintercell halo and even race games have sexuality so me opinion is no.

perdoname michelle!

Otaku lovejam may be famous one day lovejam may be famous one day lovejam's Avatar
    Thanks

No. No banning. The games have ratings for a reason and if a parent feels that video games will affect their kids, then they shouldnt let games with a certain rating in the house.

The news is ten times worse anyway.

We traded blows in violent prose
    And made arrangements heaven knows..

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Ppl gotta take "personal responsibility" and quit blaming the products......Especially fat ppl who eat too much and get medical problems, then sue Mc. Donald's or something. I want my Super Sizes BAAACCCCK!!!
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

My parents didnt even know he played it until 3 weeks ago so my parents arent terrible at their job so yea you need to cool it.
    Um, but didnt they kick you out of your House? Dont sound like good parenting to me.

I dont think playing violent video games makes you any more violent then watching the news, a movie or shows like the teenage mutant turtles. Videogames are just todays scapegoat.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast