+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Should weed be sold in stores

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Should weed be sold in stores

I have to agree with Atomik on this one...

All these accusations & assumptions about marijuana causing way harm, if legalized is blasphemous... I am pretty sure everybody who his saying keep it illegal never had it affects nor don't know mary jane's most "dangerous attributes", which is killing of the brain cells that can cause short memory lost... Same thing with alcohol which is worse off plus it attacks many other major organs...

I highly believe that legalizing marijuana will be a dangerous epidemic like alcohol, crack & any other deadly drug or addictive like cigarettes/tobacco... I had quit smoking marijauna, but couldn't put down a Newport that says something....

If you leagalize marijuana you're not going to have a massive rampage of people going out to try & smoke the stuff... You are just going to have the people who do & the ones who don't... (Nothing more than the usual)

When I was smoking marijuana I never cause harm to myself nor anyone else... Wasn't in any accidents... Didn't force my ways on others... The worse case scenario was eating up everything in the kitchen & falling alseep...

Now mixing your different types of drug may cause a highly more affect then just smoking marijuana, but just marijuana I've never heard of someone going out robbing, stealing, killing cause they were high... Most people who smoke marijuana just want to chill & mellow out other than the ones who use it for medical reasons...

As for being impaired where you can't function is another over-rated statement/suggestion... Like that commercial where those dudes was at that fast food drive thru & ran over that lil' girl... First of all they would of saw that lil' girl cause people who smoke marijuana is normally paranoid so they would of been on alert...

Second they probably would of start trippin' cause they would of been like out of all these places to ride a bike this lil girl want to ride & play in a drive thru...

Third of all they probably would of been at the window for a long time making sure their order is right & they didn't forget anything &/or trying to eat cause they have the munchies'...

I know from experience, so like Atomik said until you produce hard core facts that weed is a deadly threat to life, so to speak I am going to keep putting up an argument...

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that selling or legalizing any drug such as weed or marijuana is insane. The problem will not be solved by selling drugs in stores it will only make it worse.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I know all that, Hammer. But my point is this: Where are the alleged deaths? I'm no slave to weed, so my judgement is A-OK! My driving skills are impeccable and I've never had issues with them before, sober or high. My reaction time has always been the same. My reflexes are increasing, rather than decreasing, I deal with people the same way I do sober, when I smoke. Nothing about me changes... AT ALL! The only difference is that I'm... High... LOL. I will admit that I am getting a bit deaf though. I won't blame ADD on that one.

I know what all the scientists think/know. But that doesn't make marijuana any worse than tobacco or alchohol.
    True but you have never heard me say that tobacco or alcohol should be legal either. The fact anything that impairs you or is potentially hazardous to you as a person in the form of something you put into your body should not be used. There are lots of deaths by weed every year but they are low due to the substance being illegal. The number of people that get sick or are harmed by the substance is much higher. Those numbers would only grow if the drug was legalized.

Here are some of those figures you asked for, though it only covers the major metropolitan areas in the US...not the total US or world thus the number could be much higher.
    Of an estimated 106 million emergency department (ED) visits in the U.S. during 2004, the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) estimates that 1,997,993 were drug-related. DAWN data indicate that marijuana was involved in 215,665 ED visits.

DAWN also collects information on deaths involving drug abuse that were identified and submitted by 128 death investigation jurisdictions in 42 metropolitan areas across the United States. Cannabis ranked among the 10 most common drugs in 16 cities, including Detroit (74 deaths), Dallas (65), and Kansas City (63). Marijuana is very often reported in combination with other substances; in metropolitan areas that reported any marijuana in drug abuse deaths, an average of 79 percent of those deaths involved marijuana and at least one other substance.
    Source: Facts& Figures: Marijuana - Drug Facts, ONDCP

Slippery When Wet~ Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion, Togy Ball Champion highteckdudu is off to a good start highteckdudu's Avatar
    The wonderfull world of Minnesota! And I mean that!
    Thanks

Well that was a bit odd, see it shoudnt be sold in stores,but thats not going to stop them from selling it on the streets. Also If it should be sold at all it should be sold at pharmacys, with a doctors perskription order, for people who have cancer or maybe even an eating disorder. If memoery serves me right, if some one smoke pot they end up gettin the munchies, and in that case, if an anorexic person ate it then they could eat a little better.

but back to the main point. No only under the curcumstances that i have given should they sell weed, and not the street weed but the stuff that, is reprossed for their safty reasons.

Well i hope i was to and of assistance to you? but then again this is my opinion and you dont have to like it.
    I tryed to see things from your point of view but i cant seem to get my head that far up my ass!
    Visit www.highteckdudu.deviantart.com!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone calling this question foolish needs to remind themselves that not so very long ago, ALCOHOL was an illegal drug... and that the resulting wave of crime and popular defiance of the law surrounding it's use and trade is what brought Prohibition crashing down around the government's ears.

There is no doubt in my mind that legalizing drugs would lead to a drop in drug-related crime, gang activity, and would allow "homegrown" drugs to replace those Americans are buying in bulk from nations that funnel our money directly to terrorism.

The question is that if the new legal status of drugs would increase usage and therefore damage the people of this nation to a point that the trade-off wouldn't be worth it.

I really have no opinion one way or another, as I'm not a drug user and am not directly affected by drug-related crime... but I suspect legalizing light marijuana is not far off: it seems to have become the new alcohol.

I do think, however, that people should be given a bit more credit and take more responsibility for their own actions. Legal or not, no one forces you to eat, drink, or smoke anything that's rotten for you. We all know full well the consequences of our actions. If we choose to do it anyway: that's on us. It's not the government's responsibility to make people moral or healthy. It's their responsibility to protect their freedoms and safety.

If someone wants to screw themselves up: be it with a gun to the head, a big mac, a cigarette or Crack cocaine... that's ultimately their own decision to make.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Anyone calling this question foolish needs to remind themselves that not so very long ago, ALCOHOL was an illegal drug... and that the resulting wave of crime and popular defiance of the law surrounding it's use and trade is what brought Prohibition crashing down around the government's ears.

There is no doubt in my mind that legalizing drugs would lead to a drop in drug-related crime, gang activity, and would allow "homegrown" drugs to replace those Americans are buying in bulk from nations that funnel our money directly to terrorism.

The question is that if the new legal status of drugs would increase usage and therefore damage the people of this nation to a point that the trade-off wouldn't be worth it.

I really have no opinion one way or another, as I'm not a drug user and am not directly affected by drug-related crime... but I suspect legalizing light marijuana is not far off: it seems to have become the new alcohol.

I do think, however, that people should be given a bit more credit and take more responsibility for their own actions. Legal or not, no one forces you to eat, drink, or smoke anything that's rotten for you. We all know full well the consequences of our actions. If we choose to do it anyway: that's on us. It's not the government's responsibility to make people moral or healthy. It's their responsibility to protect their freedoms and safety.

If someone wants to screw themselves up: be it with a gun to the head, a big mac, a cigarette or Crack cocaine... that's ultimately their own decision to make.
    The reason Alcohol became legal is because people of influence came into power or influenced those with power for the drug to become legal. It had nothing to do with crime but really MONEY. Politicians have always been dirty and money in their pockets goes a long ways. You don't think the Kennedy's would consider that Alcohol is a major contributor to crime and thus seek to ban it do you (especially when said family is a was and some what is a major force in politics yet has deep roots to Alcohol)? Didn't think so.

Drug money these days is much less popular due to the ease of accessibility to information (National broadcasts) and being caught taking the stuff before you could influence it to a legal state would be bad for you...but like you said I am sure it is coming since money runs the country, not morality.

The government is suppose to be interested in protecting ALL its people, not only the ones that would take drugs and thus harm themselves by that act but also (and more importantly) those who would be harmed by others who take the drugs. Which is why we have laws against most drugs.

Do you think the victim of a impaired driver agrees it isn't the government's "business" to decide if some one takes the said inhibiting substance? Especially when there is SO MUCH potential for them to operate a vehicle and hurt others since the act of drug taking hinders their ability to operate the vehicle significantly? Ask anyone of the thousands of family's affected by alcohol or other drug related deaths and I am sure they would tell you the government should be doing MORE to prohibit the use of said items.

I wouldn't care if you smoked weed, drank yourself to death etc... as long as you kept to yourself but that just doesn't happen so THUS none of it should be legal and there is no premise for it to be. Cuts down on crime? Really is that what happened when alcohol became legal? Statistics easily state otherwise.

A little old but I think this sums up what I am saying about the crime rate:

On an average day in 1996, an estimated 5.3 million convicted offenders were under the supervision of criminal justice authorities. Nearly 40% of these offenders, about 2 million, had been using alcohol at the time of the offense for which they were convicted.

Source: Greenfield, Lawrence A., US Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Alcohol and Crime: An Analysis of National Data on the Prevalence of Alcohol Involvement in Crime (Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, April, 1998), p. 20.

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

well i went to Amensterdam 2 year ago and they are very open mind about it and no one ever really died to be into the weed, and for a lot ppl its very medicinal and is better than cigs...
    Last edited by Arukih; Nov 11, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    Do you think the victim of a impaired driver agrees it isn't the government's "business" to decide if some one takes the said inhibiting substance? Especially when there is SO MUCH potential for them to operate a vehicle and hurt others since the act of drug taking hinders their ability to operate the vehicle significantly? Ask anyone of the thousands of family's affected by alcohol or other drug related deaths and I am sure they would tell you the government should be doing MORE to prohibit the use of said items.
    I'm afraid that there is far more violent crime in communities currently due to the TRADE of drugs than the use of them. Drug use is actually FORBIDDEN to most drug runners. Crack dealers never use crack themselves (drug lords know that having their runners and agents using the product is a great way to screw up business).

Crack has almost singlehandedly created the crime wave in the black community. Most gang activity and gun crime is DIRECTLY related to the drug trade.

SOME drugs are related to aggression, nearly all to impaired judgement... but the reality is: very few people are going on crime binges using weed or extacy... they're euphoric drugs that people use at parties or in their own homes. Just because it is illegal to sell alcohol doesn't mean public inebriation, driving while intoxicated and carrying open cans on the street or in your car is.

It's possible to regulate the use of a substance while making it legal to sell or purchase.

And prohibition DID increase crime.
    Prohibition in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Many social problems have been attributed to the Prohibition era. A profitable, often violent, black market for alcohol flourished. Racketeering happened when powerful gangs corrupted law enforcement agencies. Stronger liquor surged in popularity because its potency made it more profitable to smuggle. The cost of enforcing prohibition was high, and the lack of tax revenues on alcohol (some $500 million annually nationwide) affected government coffers. When repeal of prohibition occurred in 1933, organized crime lost nearly all of its black market alcohol profits in most states (states still had the right to enforce their own laws concerning alcohol consumption), because of competition with low-priced alcohol sales at legal liquor stores."

Sounds a lot like the current situation with drugs... doesn't it?

I'm not saying it's MORAL, or even necesarily a good idea to make drugs (or even ALL DRUGS legal)... there are other things to consider, cheif among them the idea that drugs will most likely become a major coorporate interest and begin to use everything in their power to actually MARKET them to the American people. It's not as though anyone is going to be content with merely selling a product quietly to it's existing product base: it will be in their interest to find new customers.

But it WOULD lower (or in the case of all drugs being legalized - nearly eliminate) gang warfare, cut funding to hostile and terrorist nations, and allow law enforcement to focus on violent crime rather than raiding dorm rooms looking for "homegrown" goodies. Drugs could also be taxed... meaning an increase in government revenue (rather than an increase in the size of drug-lords' pocket money and gangs' weapons' budgets).

There are good reasons and bad reasons on both sides of the debate.
    I'm just saying you shouldn't devalue the debate just because you haven't thought of the potential positives in doing something that we have been drilled to believe is unthinkable.

Recommended for those interested in the economic aspects of the drug trade:
    Amazon.com: Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything: Books: Steven D. Levitt,Stephen J. Dubner
    Last edited by tsurara; Nov 11, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast