+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skanky Parents

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Skanky Parents

Alright... so this isn't a new thing. It's something that's bothered me for awhile. But now that I'm a teacher in a very small town in an incredibly impractical, image-obsessed nation: it's driving me 100% nutters.

Today I went to the grocery store. There I saw a young mother with her family. A husband, two children (about 5 and 3 years old)... She was wearing knee-high stilleto leather boots, the shortest shorts known to man, a belly-cut metallic purple coat with a fur ruff, gigantic hoop earrings and enough makeup to sink a small sea-going vessel.

This isn't unusual.

In the dead of winter, high winds, 30 degree weather: Japanese women ages 12-40 seem to think that the shorter their shorts and skirts and the higher the heels on their b***-boots: the warmer they will be.

What's shocking is that women are dressing like this in front of their kids: to go to the damnned grocery store!

And they're letting their kids dress that way too! Looking around, I saw at least 10 of my own students in shorts the same length and one in a skirt threatening to show her intimates O-o; They were all -with their parents-.

What's wrong with people? O_o; Is it like this in the US?

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Skanky Parents

I'm certain that it's this way in certain parts of the U.S, but not evrywhere here. Where I live it's not necessarily shortest of shorts or skirts that u have ta worry 'bout, but the pants. Some of the women around here wear pants so tight, I'm surprised that they can even breathe. Even young girls, and some older women who really shouldn' be, r wearin' some of the tightest pants that u'd have ever seen. I know that fashion is important ta some, but ta harm; for some; ur own body for it? I think that it's gettin' ridiculous.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

*chuckles lightly* I think "skimpy" may be a better word that "skanky".

Concerning the Japanese feminine winter fashion thing... I haven't seen it that extreme, but if you go to Disneyland during winter vacation, you see all these young, Japanese women that seems underdressed compared to Americans. They're wearing thin, zip-up sweatshirts that show off their figure, stockings, and high skirts—but not so high you can see their privates—. Some of them wear —I have to say damn stylish compared to what we have, sorry— fur-lined boots, while others wear the high-heels you speak of. They didn't look, um, promiscuous as American or Japanese youth, though. Oh, and all their boyfriends don't wear overly think sweats or hoodies, either. They're wearing decent and attractive clothes. But really, none of the Japanese tourists that came to Disneyland this year were skimpy or skanky or anything... They looked like they were used to the cold compared to everyone else, which I wouldn't be surprised of.

Because of them, I'm unsure of whether the extremities you seen in your town are as popular all over Japan. Maybe they are, but I've never been to Japan, so...

Is it like here in the US? Well, I live in Southern California, and only an hour away from Los Angeles, and most of the kids are like that. The biggest thing here seems to be tight jeans; that goes for the boys, too, and I don't think it makes them look attractive at all... It looks weird on them; I'd rather they wear the short shorts that's become popular with the female youth than look like they're cutting blood circulation to their legs. To the point where they should be called, "denim corset leggings". (0_0) So basically the female youth are anorexic and skanky, and the boys have the legs of the anorexic female youth. Luckily for me, almost none of their parents wear anything like that... And I think it's because they're obese and overweight, but they're not any prettier than their —surprisingly fit and otherwise beautiful— skimpy, skanky children. Oh, and the youth dress like this in front of their younger siblings... Ranging from newborn infants to the age of ten. And the siblings are catching on with the "trends".

Concerning what's making these people dress so... well, like that... I think it's simply because it's a new fashion trend. Apparently, signs of promiscuity are associated with coolness and whatnot. I have no idea where it originated from, but I can tell you that it started getting popular in 2006. I don't recall any specific famous celebrities bringing this on, but I think all the music videos that the youth is watching may have quite a few scantily-clad females. And, I know I may sound, well, shallow or something to some of you, maybe it's simply the shock factor, but yes, rap music (videos) with incomprehensible and/or lewd and obscene lyrics and scantily clad females are the thing with the youth. So that may be it here in America...

As for what's causing this phenomenon in Japan, I have no idea.
    Last edited by abby724; Jan 13, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: "otherwise" added, "it's" to "they're"
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

When I was in Fargo, ND; I would walk by certain clothing stores and look at the kid sized mannequins like, "someone's mother would let her go out in that?" It's sickening how much even the simplest of morals can change like, "Cover yourself up" turned in to "walk around practically nude!"

I see those types of parents all the time here in Minneapolis. Ugh...
    You get these parents who thinks it's "cool" to dress thier daughter up like some skank off of Broadway Ave. The parents who let thier middle school age daughter walk out the door with the Halloween costumes adults can buy at sex stores and what-not. It makes me just want to not have a daughter... EVER.

But sometimes it's not the parent's fault. My sister's daugher has been seen on myspace throwin' up gang signs and dressing/posing like a whore. My sister seen the pics yesterday and said, "Print that sh*t out! I'ma whoop her ass!!" LOL. Mind you that my niece never learned any of these things from my sister, it just happened. Hell, Sis isn't even home enough for her to be an example for sh*t, as much as she works. How a girl learns to do that without aid of a parent is through her friends--who have skanky parents, LOL.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

holy cow!!
    i have never seen that here in the us. I dont think i have seen it anywhere.
    well maybe once but they were like grown women that are single. so i think thats different.
    but thats messed up my mom complains when i am wearing a skirt that is above my knees.
    and im not saying like 3 inches im saying like 1 inch she goes crazy.
    so thats lke O_o
    those girls need a reality check. ITS NOT GOING TO KEEP YOU WARM!

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen it all over the place here. Of course I live in Texas and it's usually warm this time of year though it does get really cold. But there is no common sense when they do dress. The reason as to why the dress as they do is they can get a bf. It seems to me that a lot of guys (here) like girls who dress like skanks. THe parents think its cute because its the in thing. Hell all of society thinks its cute because the trend came from Hollywood and almost every teenage girl wants to dress like their "role models" which are complete skanks.

The mothers are trying to be friends instead of mothers so their daughters will like them more. I think that's a load of bull. They're teaching them this precendent basically saying its okay to dress in this manner. Now when their kids have kids of their own this changes.

As for me I dress realtively conservative (would wearing concert shirts all the time be considered conservative) I wear jeans a t-shirt typically over a sweat shirt and my leather jacket. Trying my best to keep warm. My shirts typically go over my stomach to my upper legs (mainly because I'm peitie and I like to wear baggy shirts. I like to feel comfortable). If I were to wear a skirt it'd have to go over my knees. These are things I've decided for myself not what my parents want me to wear..

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    The mothers are trying to be friends instead of mothers so their daughters will like them more.
    I thought all the parents of... "skanky children"—that sounds hilarious for some reason— were either powerless, just wanted to their kids to be happy —either from love or that they just don't want to deal with their children...—, or "kept up with the times", or something like that. I never though of it like that, and now I agree that some parents are like this...

Concerning what's happening in Japan, I've heard that it's popular there to "express one's individuality". It sounds absurd, but is it that the women there feel that the skimpier their clothes, the more unique and special they are? That the only way to "stick out in the crowd" is to dress like that?

It'd be odd if the above was true... because it's completely different (maybe opposites?) from the reason why the youth in America are dressing so... distastefully, because here, it's all driven by a conformist society that wolves celebrity trends and whatnot as law, not by the drive to be... distinguished from society. It's the same when it comes to education, too, I think in most Asian countries, isn't it? That you have to be different from everyone else and particularly distinguished?
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    It'd be odd if the above was true... because it's completely different (maybe opposites?) from the reason why the youth in America are dressing so... distastefully, because here, it's all driven by a conformist society that wolves celebrity trends and whatnot as law, not by the drive to be... distinguished from society. It's the same when it comes to education, too, I think in most Asian countries, isn't it? That you have to be different from everyone else and particularly distinguished?
    I agree with you but it seems to me that majority of girls at my school dress like skanks because it's the "in" thing to do. So thus all the girls are comformists and if you don't dress like a skank then you are not cool nor popular. I dress the way my parents did when they were my age. (kinda funny) in which by dressing in mostly black and wearing concert shirts. Therefore I'm more of an individualist because I don't dress like a skank.

Ironically I remember my mom trying to get me to dress more "girly" so that I would fit in better and have more friends. (I have more than enough friends and they all like me for who I am.) Which causes me to think that if they dress in this way then the more friends they will have. Or so they think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast