Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smoking in Public Places

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Smoking in Public Places

Hello everyone! This topic came to me because of another thread that is here that touches on smoking and why people do it. Should smoking be allowed in all public areas? Should workplaces, such as restaurants, have the right to disallow smoking?

I have heard many sides to this debate and I am curious of what AO thinks about it. So I am all ears.

Besides the point, I will give my humble opinion on the subject. To me, I believe that any workplace whether it be a mall, restaurant, convenient store, etc. has the right to decide whether or not to allow smoking in their workplaces. To me it is the equivalent of requiring customers to wear shoes and a shirt if they want service.

Not to mention, disallowing smoking in public venues dramatically decreases the chances of second hand smoking and helps prevent someone from having a serious allergic reaction. Case in point, I have asthma. Though my asthma is under control most of the time, it does have its triggers and tobacco smoke is one of them. If I am in any enclosed area where there is a large amount of tobacco smoke, I will start coughing, wheezing, and eventually descend into an asthma attack if I do not leave the area.

So I think it is perfectly fine that there are public areas where smoking is not allowed.

But what do you guys think? Because I know I am a little biased here.

Otaku POOHEAD189 is off to a good start POOHEAD189's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Smoking in Public Places

I totally agree. Smoking to me is wrong period. But in a world where it is acceptable, there needs to be rules. It should be restricted because it not only harms the user, but people around the userm, and that makes it a hazard in public places.
    Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Newbie BossAfro is off to a good start BossAfro's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it should be up the land owner. I really don't think the government or state should have any right to tell people were they can smoke. NY has this enabled and its already received heavy criticism. I don't smoke and I've never had any problem with second hand smoke, I've always felt it adds to a places ambiance lol.

So I think it is perfectly fine that there are public areas where smoking is not allowed.
    As for public areas that ARE controlled by a state, yes they can disallow smoking. One big thing is the pollution it creates.

I know not all smokers are polluters but its not uncommon to see butts on the ground. In the army we are required to do constant police calls around our areas or "beautification" as they like to call it. I can't stand picking up other peoples butts, I almost refuse it and try to sham out as best I can, but regardless, I still do.

Restricting smoking in places like parks and state run areas happen, people complain, but they stay clean.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Legalize Marijuana!

O wait.... that's a totally different over posted topic on AO... My bad.
    seriously though... I thought there was already a thread about this open..?

eh... I'll share a thought or two anyhow. I don't smoke. I think that I should be able to go to a club, or a bar, or a restaurant.. and not have to smell that. You wanna do it? take yer butt somewhere else.
    I know not all smokers are polluters
    How not? I mean... unless its additive free tobacco... Every time a cigarette is lit, with all that added crap... it's pollution. I mean, frankly -smoke-, in and of itself, is air pollution isn't it?
    Maybe stinky breath is also. and farts. Which makes us all GUILTY! so... uh... Legalize Marijuana!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Newbie sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo's Avatar
    Thanks

okay so let me set the record straight!!! i am a smoker!!!! i don't care what you think!!! i want to smoke!!! but here is my thing about controlling where i can smoke is when i am friggin outside already. i don't like smoking inside but even outside i have to huddle together in the heat, cold, and rain by a pole with five other dudes just because i smoke cigerrettes!! i mean wtf!! if you don't like 2nd hand smoke walk away. and i am not gunna blow it in your face just cuz you walked by me!!! i consider this profiling!!! and i hate it!!!!

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really get the whole smoking thing in the first place. It just really has absolutely no appeal to me.
    Maybe, because of this, my opinion is also a bit biased, but I'll state it anyway.
    I think that owners and employers of buildings and businesses should be able to not only restrict smoking, but ban it entirely in their building/business. I guess my thought on this is "If you don't want to be forced to smoke somewhere else, or not at all in your workplace, then you shouldn't really smoke at all."

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

What about the dangers of Second hand smoke? Its more harmful to people then the stuff the smoker is breathing.

After watching my grandmother go from a brilliant writer and an ornery old crone to a small pale shell of a woman who had trouble remembering who her own daughter was in the space of 6 years after her lung cancer spread to her brain, I personally will never touch another cigarette again.

Smoking out doors I have no problem with, as long as you throw your butts out and not litter. Smoking indoors, no. You can go outside. I don't give a rats ass if its -30C, a blizzard, and its not fit for man nor beast, you made your bed, now go smoke in it.

Newbie sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I don't give a rats ass if its -30C, a blizzard, and its not fit for man nor beast
    yeah that is what i am saying. i PERFER to smoke outdoors even in -30c weather. okay maybe thats a little overboard but why when outsid e am i limithed to a 2 foot radius around some damn smokers pole!!!
    Last edited by aceman67; Dec 02, 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast