Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 27

Thread: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

  1. #9
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    I believe once the brain is taken from a body, it has died. The true you was constructed by this brain, so therefore it dies with the big lump of fat.

    Yet, being a strong believer in spiritual forces, one's soul would be able to transcend this limitation, but i do not think your soul can pass from one body to the next. After all, the soul's vessel can only be your original body, in my opinion.
    I agree with you to a certain degree, NeoDeath.

    While I believe that without your soul, there's no need for a brain, I believe that once your brain is removed from your body, it's dead. Even if it could be replaced in another human body, I'm sure that it would be a clean slate from that point on. Like formatting a hard disk.

    I believe, on the other hand, that your soul CAN, in fact, travel from one body to the other. Some people call it shape-shifting, some call it a divine journey; I call it Karma. When you die, your soul is brought back to The Universe to wait for the next life cycle. That's how some people are born with natural talents and have unique/strange hobbies.

    I believe that your soul is in more control of your body, personality and actions more than anything else in The Universe.


  2. #10
    Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I agree with you to a certain degree, NeoDeath.

    While I believe that without your soul, there's no need for a brain, I believe that once your brain is removed from your body, it's dead. Even if it could be replaced in another human body, I'm sure that it would be a clean slate from that point on. Like formatting a hard disk.

    I believe, on the other hand, that your soul CAN, in fact, travel from one body to the other. Some people call it shape-shifting, some call it a divine journey; I call it Karma. When you die, your soul is brought back to The Universe to wait for the next life cycle. That's how some people are born with natural talents and have unique/strange hobbies.

    I believe that your soul is in more control of your body, personality and actions more than anything else in The Universe.
    Do you mean reincarnation? Because that is another term that describes what you called "Karma". I personally don't believe in reincarnation because I believe we all have one life and that's it, their is no reset button to press (It would be cool if their was) and start over again, but if you do believe in it, then you are entitled to your belief's and again their is no right or wrong answer's to this tread, let's all have fun with this tread and say what we think about this question

    Nice to see you again Loknkey , let's have some more fun

  3. #11
    Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Friendly Fridley
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Do you mean reincarnation? Because that is another term that describes what you called "Karma".
    Reincarnation is the act in which the soul goes from one life to the next. But, Karma determines where you end up in the next life.

    Anyhow, I feel that the soul and the brain are one in the same to a degree. Really a brain is just another part of the human anatomy. It holds just as much signifigance as your pinky finger. When you start to think of your brain as the control panel to the rest of your body. You are already giving the brain credit for your souls hard work.

    Einstein said if we used 100% of our brains capabilties... we would no longer NEED our brains (or bodies)! As we would be pure, self sustaining energy. That is what I believe the soul to be. The soul is resposible for everything important that goes on in the brain.
    ... Not Ever Again...

  4. #12
    Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Quote Originally Posted by loknkey View Post
    Someone can receive a hand or a heart transplant and retain the same personality. Theoretically, doesn't it seem possible for someone to receive a whole body transplant, piece by piece, except for the brain, yet still remain the same person? Also, why is it that a person can lose their personality and memories due to brain injury or illness? If the soul is separate from the brain, then this shouldn't be the case, right?

    Then again, if the soul is a part of the brain, how does Ichigo leave his brain behind when he turns into a soul reaper? har har
    Let me ask you something, if you lose a tooth do you die, or a fingernail, no you don't, not that you can't from a heart transplant. But what I'm saying is your personality and memories are contained in the brain but what about that little voice that tell's you that you are doing something bad couldn't you say that is part of your soul. What about those people that talk about out of body experiences, they see their body but can't move it, I think that is the same as when you have a brain injury or illness, what if you still have all your personality and memories inside your soul, but then you can't move your body because your body has an brain injury or illness, whose to say you are still not connected to your body because it has not died.

    Earlier you said Ichigo, isn't he able to leave his body because Kon is resides inside his body, can Ichigo control his body while he is a soul reaper, no, but his brain is inside his body, by logic, shouldn't his body be able to remain the same if his brain is inside his body and he would't need Kon to be inside his body when he goes reaper? I think that old phase "you can't be at two places at once" comes into mind.

  5. #13
    Newbie loknkey is off to a good start loknkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Bleach would be a much better show if Ichigo's brain had to be removed every time he transformed into a soul reaper =)

    If the soul is not affected by physical ailments such as illness and injury, what about aging? Since experiences and maturing also changes our brains physically, would our souls be immune to these kind of effects too?

  6. #14
    Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fogcity
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    To really get a better answer is to ask the right question. And that question is... What is a thought? A thought is nothing more then electrical signals passing through chemicl path ways we call brain cells. A persons persanality and what they learn is stored in these chemical paths ways and are carried along with the electrical current. Sorta like your own persanal free floating electronic library. The internet is a prime exaple of this. Its a free floating electrical signal information and the brain very well works the same way. And sense by definition, a soul is considered a mass of energy created by ones own self. So memory and persanol thoughts and persanality can be copy and pasted to ones soul. So in a way they are one and the same.
    Ok, while what you're saying is kinda true you have to take into account that every person's brain is specialized to the amount and concentration of chemicals tha is in their body. How and what they think is determined by the availiability of diffferent chamicals. People who are depressed don't make the decision to feel like shit. Their bodies simply don't have an abundance of chemicals which cause elation. This is in theory why twins are so different. They have the exact same bodies and brains and everything but twins are often totally different.

    The essence that is described by the cumulation of this brain and body as one is similar to the scientific idea of a soul. Even a mad scientist wont try mimicing a person's sould and memories because the chamical balances are too many and too complex. However souls are still far different then just the brain and a chemical balance. They're the reason why there's still an unexplained ammount of energy after death.

    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I agree with you to a certain degree, NeoDeath.

    While I believe that without your soul, there's no need for a brain, I believe that once your brain is removed from your body, it's dead. Even if it could be replaced in another human body, I'm sure that it would be a clean slate from that point on. Like formatting a hard disk.

    I believe, on the other hand, that your soul CAN, in fact, travel from one body to the other. Some people call it shape-shifting, some call it a divine journey; I call it Karma. When you die, your soul is brought back to The Universe to wait for the next life cycle. That's how some people are born with natural talents and have unique/strange hobbies.

    I believe that your soul is in more control of your body, personality and actions more than anything else in The Universe.
    I'm going to avoid your personal beliefs and just stick to the scientific speculation. Why, because intelligent discusiion comes not from bashing what other people believe but from exploring the possibilities and intricacies of this life. Working with what we get as it comes.

    So what you said about the clean slate in my opinion is one of the three possibilities *until I'm prooved wrong* Basically it'd either start over, the brain would learn to adapt and a fusion of the donor and recipient would come into existence or the brain could simply go into shock from the assault from chemicals that it's not used to. (Basically an OD from chemicals that the brain is not used to.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Let me ask you something, if you lose a tooth do you die, or a fingernail, no you don't, not that you can't from a heart transplant. But what I'm saying is your personality and memories are contained in the brain but what about that little voice that tell's you that you are doing something bad couldn't you say that is part of your soul. What about those people that talk about out of body experiences, they see their body but can't move it, I think that is the same as when you have a brain injury or illness, what if you still have all your personality and memories inside your soul, but then you can't move your body because your body has an brain injury or illness, whose to say you are still not connected to your body because it has not died.

    Earlier you said Ichigo, isn't he able to leave his body because Kon is resides inside his body, can Ichigo control his body while he is a soul reaper, no, but his brain is inside his body, by logic, shouldn't his body be able to remain the same if his brain is inside his body and he would't need Kon to be inside his body when he goes reaper? I think that old phase "you can't be at two places at once" comes into mind.
    while the brain and the soul are two separate and real things, keep in mind that the soul is an essence it's not limited by the same laws which govern the physical realm. It can't defy them, but a spirit existing in two places at once isn't a crazy idea. It simply can't divide itself into two. Therefore a spirit could not enhabit a body and observe from the outside at the same time, but it can still be in two places at once.

    Quote Originally Posted by loknkey View Post
    Bleach would be a much better show if Ichigo's brain had to be removed every time he transformed into a soul reaper =)

    If the soul is not affected by physical ailments such as illness and injury, what about aging? Since experiences and maturing also changes our brains physically, would our souls be immune to these kind of effects too?
    The soul simply isn't a physical being. It's real but think of it as being dark matter for the time being (which essentially it is because science can't really find it though our existence means that it's there.) The things that happen to our physical self don't directly effect it however it is still capable of learning and growing. That's the whole purpose in life. We are simply bodies made to carry out an experiment. As well as the scientists trying to obtain as much information about this physical world as possible. In order to learn more fully our memories had to be gone and will be restored again once we die. Which is also why there must be a God. Because somone had to create the world and the bodies and we had to have a source for our knowledge in this previous life.

    ... and join my rebellion against time.

  7. #15
    Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 171 Times in 152 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    To Corvus

    I think you missed the point I was trying to make. What I was saying is that the electrical signals ARE the thought process and the chemical composition helps it along and affects it. And these thoughts are made of energy which the soul is made up of as well. The chemical composition with in the brain is indeed different from person to person, which is why no two are the same and this is what gives us an added variety as that person will perceive and understand things differently. I know all about depression and chemical imbalance, hell I have that. But your digging deeper into what I was saying then was necessary. But sense you wanted to dig deeper lets just see how far down this rabbit hole goes. Depression, as you said, is a chemical imbalance. This is true, but it also affects the thought process that will be transferred to the soul as well. The soul will take the characteristic of what it knows the most and what state it was in before death. If it has known depression for most of its physical existence, that will be it main trait, but if it died happy, being the most recent memory will also play a roll onto how it will perceive things. The same thing if the rolls have been reversed. If the person was happy for most of its life, then the soul will be a happy one, and if it died sad it will remember this sadness that will also affect them as well. I can go on and on about this but I hope you get what I am saying, in that anything that effects thought and personality if it’s by choice or by chemical imbalance it will be imprinted onto the soul with that persons characteristics. Now like I said, I have that chemical imbalance in my head to cause me to fall into depression very easily, how ever, thanks to a very important person in my life, they showed me how to work around that and not let it completely consume me. So if I die, my soul will continue to have that depressive aspect of its self, but sense I have learned how to curve it so it doesn’t effect me to the exstent it once did, there for it will not be as much of a dominant trait. These souls will continue to act and see things as they did when they were alive and continue to look at things as they once did this is what makes them different as they retain their persanality and thought proceses.

    Now you can disagree with me and I am cool with that, but the question of the thread is that, which do you think is the real you, soul or the brain? I’m giving reasons as to why it’s both. But you’re going a bit deeper then is necessary and going into behavior.
    Last edited by Scourge; Aug 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

  8. #16
    Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    University of Turku
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Soul or Brain, which is the real you?

    I belive that personality is about the brains, alothou body has some influence to it but nothing so big that couldn't be relearned by brains in months of time. That is what I believe and it's pretty much what scientist believe these days.
    But like professor Esko Valtaoja, University of Turku(Quasar research), said in his TV serie
    few days ago, there still might be something that is beyong our present knowledge, like
    possible "soul". But well, you never know if that is true untill transfer of that kind actually happens. Anyway, idea of human soul is kinda pretty ^_^


    Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brain Teaser: Which Came First.
    By Ky-lyrra in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: Mar 01, 2007, 12:40 PM
  2. Brain
    By boldragon in forum Poems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 01, 2006, 05:16 PM
  3. brain powerd
    By rematche in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2006, 11:16 PM
  4. Extra lobe in our brain
    By spike spiegel in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Dec 22, 2005, 01:15 AM
  5. I have no brain....
    By DontBelong in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2005, 10:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts