Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    all it is, is a ball of cells, not a embryo or a baby
    that ball of cells haven't yet even turned into a brain or even a heart, just a hallow ball of cells!
    ^_^

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    ^ But you don't have to clone a whole human to get the benefits of the research, it's possible to clone only the organs or the genes ( eliminating genetic diseases
    I dont know where i stand with this. I think a lot of people have opinions about this issue before they do any research. Ive heard these cells can be taken from adults also, but are not as effective. gwenibe, Im glad that you have done some research on this matter. Am I right when I say that stem cell research from adults is different from a divided cell on its way to being an embryo (I know this phase has a name, maybe someone can let me know what it is)?

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    umm.. well i'm actually not sure. It definatly is different.

Adult cells have already differentiated into their specific cells. eg. skin cells, lung cells. So I think it's harder to do ( or even impossible?)

Where as stems cells haven't yet differentiated, so by using those cells we can then turn them into cells we need such as liver cells to grow a liver etc.

I didn't even know that there was a different name for the two, I'm only familier of stem cells research @_@

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The word your looking for is 'Fetal stem cells', which have the potential to turn into any kind of body tissue. Other types of stem cells are already specialized, and limited into the types of cells they can morph into. (As an example, bone marrow stem cells can only turn themselves into blood cells, white, red, or platlets...)

Now for the State of California Stem cell Research Initiative, the proposed source of 'Fetal' stem cells is to used left over embryos from the fertility clinic industry. These embryos (which aren't even close to a fetus, with undifferentiated cells) would normally be destroyed, because once a pregnancy has been established in a patient, it is no longer safe, nor practical to try further embryo implants. So is the use of these stem cells, cultured in a petri dish, flash frozen and never seen the inside of a mothers womb murder? (And if you do think it's murder, then why isn't pulling out a hair folicle, or trimming a ingrown toe nail murder as well...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't see what the problem is here. Stem cell research can cure alot of diseases and all it's just using unfertilized embryos that people wouldn't use in the first place.

Anyway LOL @ Violent's ignorance.

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks
    first of i would like to know if the kill the unborn baby, or they use one thats already dead?
    depending on that I would vote...
    if they are using a dead one... why not.... it can save many more lifes in the futere.... as simple as that...
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    What baby what are you talking about dude?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by jaam0927 View Post
    first of i would like to know if the kill the unborn baby, or they use one thats already dead?
    depending on that I would vote...
    if they are using a dead one... why not.... it can save many more lifes in the futere.... as simple as that...
    Why are you talking about babies??? The way fertility clinics produce embryos, is when the woman is ovulating, they pump her abdomen full of carbon dioxide, then through a incision made in the belly button, they insert a small fiber optics scope and a small vacume tube and harvest the egg. The man produces some sperm. Mix the two together in a test tube, and there's your embryo...

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I don't see what the problem is here. Stem cell research can cure alot of diseases and all it's just using unfertilized embryos that people wouldn't use in the first place.

Anyway LOL @ Violent's ignorance.
    By definition, embryos ARE FERTILIZED. If they weren't, all you would have would be a non-replicating egg cell...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast