Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I keep thinking when people talk about embryos the first 3 weeks of pregnancy.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have no problem with stem cell research as long as it's not from an embryo. There are several other types being researched right now. They also seem to be getting better results. It's actual results vs potential results.

Coaxing More From Adult Stem Cells
    they showed that these adult stem cells -- which ordinarily would have become blood cells -- can instead become solid organ cells, or even nerve cells.
    By growing cells in a soft, stiff, or rigid environment, Discher's team was able to get adult bone marrow cells to become more like soft nerve cells, rigid bone cells, or stiff muscle cells.
    So given a choice I'll take the kind that don't leave a door open to unethical practises.

It doesn't hurt to remember that questions like this (ballot wise) are usually about whether the government should fund it, not the legality. I find it very significant non-embrionic research is having no difficulty getting funding from private companies but embrionic researchers are. With significant exceptions that is:
    The "great promise" of embryonic cells is often stated by scientists that either hold key patents or are strongly supported by biotech companies pursuing embryonic cells commercially.
    Perhaps it is because now we know it is not necessary to use them. Why fund research on a resource that requires the continued harvesting of embrio's from donars? What happens if there is a change in how artificial implanting is done? When there is no longer a excess supply unless you create it?

It's a slippery slope. Why start on it when we don't need to.

Adult cells are behind much of stem cell success so far <-(comprehensive explaination of research and results)
    The advantages of stem cells derived from adult stem cells are virtually unknown to the American public. The most profitable, not the best, treatment for people is not surprisingly getting the most publicity.

The greatest advantage of adult stem cells is that it's usually possible to use a person's own stem cells, which is the safest stem cell option for people. This avoids the problems of rejection, disease transmission, chromosomal abnormalities and uncontrolled growth.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Oct 13, 2006 at 09:28 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Unlike Arianna's opinion's on abortions I find her opinion's on this subject acceptable.

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Why are you talking about babies??? The way fertility clinics produce embryos, is when the woman is ovulating, they pump her abdomen full of carbon dioxide, then through a incision made in the belly button, they insert a small fiber optics scope and a small vacume tube and harvest the egg. The man produces some sperm. Mix the two together in a test tube, and there's your embryo...

By definition, embryos ARE FERTILIZED. If they weren't, all you would have would be a non-replicating egg cell...
    wut.... im mean wut... I read somewhere that they used unborned fetuses... wich are unborn babies... arent they?
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ah, Miroku finally stops being anal about repeated threads ?

Haha, excuse my little poke. In any case I fully support stem cell research. The only question that has to be answered is "are the rewards worth the risks?" and the answer is deffinetely "yes". Allot of people freak out when they hear that stem cells are taken from fertilized zygotes (eggs), but something that they may not know is that scientists are developing a method to retrieve stem cells using alternate sources. So now there really is no reason to fret about "killing babies". Also, cloning will most likely never be performed for organ harvesting reasons as many people speculate. The idea is extremely unpractical since they can be litteraly "grown in jars".
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have no problem with stem cell research as long as it's not from an embryo. There are several other types being researched right now. They also seem to be getting better results. It's actual results vs potential results.
    Why is that? They haven't developed into a baby yet, so whats the big deal?

Ah, Miroku finally stops being anal about repeated threads
    What the hell is that suppost to mean? *Hovers hand over ban button* lol

Adult cells are behind much of stem cell success so far
    If this is true why do they want to use the embryo method so much? And dont tell me "The "great promise" of embryonic cells is often stated by scientists that either hold key patents or are strongly supported by biotech companies pursuing embryonic cells commercially."

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    What the hell is that suppost to mean? *Hovers hand over ban button* lol
    *Watches Miroku's precarious hand* Nothing, nothing... *trails off to whistling to himself*.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    The method I was looking at doesn't even use a fertilized eggs.

It takes and unfertilized human egg and fuses it's with some one skin cell, it then starts to grow into embryo's -BUT when all it is, is an buch on un differentiated bunch of cells, they take cells out and grow 'em into more specific cells.

If it's ethically wrong to take cells from that balls of cells.
    Then is it ethically wrong to let people die ( when they could be cured by this technologies), simple because it's wrong to kill an "embryo" if it can even be called that.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast