Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

To provide further background information on the topic... the National Institue of Health Stem Cell website...
    NIH Stem Cell Information Home Page:
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    If this is true why do they want to use the embryo method so much?
    Define "they". If you mean researchers in stem cell research from what I have seen "they" don't. Specific researchers do. Those researchers and the companies behind them have invested alot of time and effort (and money) into it. It's understandable that they would be reluctant to walk away for another focus. However there are multiple sources of stem cells for research. The only one that is controversial is embrionic stem cell research. So guess which one is reported in the general news? Not to hard is it. However if I pay attention to medical news the majority of the reports in advances I have seen involve stem cells from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    The method I was looking at doesn't even use a fertilized eggs.

It takes and unfertilized human egg and fuses it's with some one skin cell, it then starts to grow into embryo's -BUT when all it is, is an buch on un differentiated bunch of cells, they take cells out and grow 'em into more specific cells.
    Then that is not embrionic stem cell research. I understand they are doing research on both sperm and eggs seperately rather then together.

Personally I still think that is a mistake for the same reason I mentioned before. It requires harvesting and what do you do if it succeeds in becomeing a mainstream process? I just don't think it's good bussiness and potentially very poor law eventually.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks
    I understand why there's so much fuss over this business of Stem Cell Research. All this about how humans will be playing God next, blaspemhy(sp) of creating a human and blah blah. I'm Christian but i don't get worked up over this becoz this might save me one day if I ever need it.

I mean surely this says that we're gonna be able to save more lives through researching the cure for diseases (sp) and able to perform more organ transplants. I mean hey, wut happens when one of these guys who are against Stem Cell Research needs a transplant and the only thing left is the transplant created from Stem Cell. He/she gonna say no to it and die? Not everyone can do that and know that they gonna die without it.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Define "they". If you mean researchers in stem cell research from what I have seen "they" don't. Specific researchers do. Those researchers and the companies behind them have invested alot of time and effort (and money) into it. It's understandable that they would be reluctant to walk away for another focus. However there are multiple sources of stem cells for research. The only one that is controversial is embrionic stem cell research. So guess which one is reported in the general news? Not to hard is it. However if I pay attention to medical news the majority of the reports in advances I have seen involve stem cells from other sources.
    Now here we have a 'chicken & egg' situation. It's true that the majority of the research money IS behind embryonic stem cell research. However, the reason why the money is behind embryonic research is because ALL of the early stem cell therapy breakthrough results were possible ONLY with embryonic stem cells. If your a medical venture capitalist, and had a choice of investing in somthing that might be a breakthrough, vs. something that has shown to be a breakthrough, what would you choose?

Press releases on alternative stem cell research ae popular and common now, because new startup companies want a part of the Federal goverment research grants, (since by the policy of the current administration, research involving new embryonic stem cell lines will not be Federally funded by the US Goverment). But so far, no one has been able to demonstrate the same degree of sucess that have acheived with embryonic stem cells.

This also doesn't mean that research (or results from) embryonic stem cells has hit a dead end. The process of turning a laboratory research process into a sellable product is a long and tedious process. And a period of calm, with no flashy press releases often means that someone is preparing (or has in progress) a medical patent application..
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now here we have a 'chicken & egg' situation. It's true that the majority of the research money IS behind embryonic stem cell research. However, the reason why the money is behind embryonic research is because ALL of the early stem cell therapy breakthrough results were possible ONLY with embryonic stem cells.
    That is very true. I forgot that point. Embrionic research came first. However, I have never heard of other stem cell research having trouble getting funding. Only embrionic. How would someone find out just how much is being spent by who?

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    But so far, no one has been able to demonstrate the same degree of sucess that have acheived with embryonic stem cells.
    Really? The articles I have read says otherwise. Not that there hasn't been advances only that the application has been more stable in other cell development research. Like I said, actual results vs potential results. I would love to read a recent resource to back up the opposite. As far as I know the biggest claim against not using embrionic stem cells is that other cells wouldn't be able be changed into other organs and tissue different from where they were harvested yet the truth is that they have been able to do just that and you don't need to worry about rejection when you use a cell from the persons own body.

Either way it doesn't change my veiw of a bussiness based on "harvesting" biological byproducts of people in general. It just sounds like a bad sci-fi movie gone wrong.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Then that is not embrionic stem cell research. I understand they are doing research on both sperm and eggs seperately rather then together.
    Is it not embryonic stem cell research? Isn't the ball of cells an embryo? It just hasn't grown into a brain or heart yet....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    Is it not embryonic stem cell research? Isn't the ball of cells an embryo? It just hasn't grown into a brain or heart yet....
    No. It's not an embrio unless it has been fertalized with a sperm. That is the point at which life is possible. Before that it is just a cell (ovum).

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    But it has the ability to grow into an embryo, same way as it does if it was fertilized by a sperm.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast