+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 37

Thread: Step-Sibling Marriage

  1. #25
    NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    I have to say there is no blood relation. So I dont see a problem with it.
    The only thing I have to say is that if there is a blood relation that would cause problems for their child if they ever did decide to have any since those that have parents of the same blood line are more likely to contract diseases.
    Im all for love but sometimes you have to think about the risks.

    Also I would like to say in response to physicals critisizm on others that this isn't a DEBATE its a DISCUSION there is a difference. This is not a topic to attack others oppions or if you want to bring debate into it this isn't the place to attack their contentions. This is to discuss the topic at hand.

    ~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

  2. #26
    Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somers NY
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 93 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    You walk into a debate... And find my cross-examining disturbing?

    Answer me this: what is debating without criticism and argumentation?



    Of course; challenging the propositions of others is essential to debate. Otherwise, how can we know if your argument does make sense? Or does the word "debate" mean something different entirely to you?

    Before I give my take on things, I wanted to make her clear up a few things first. I think it's called "getting back to basics". And besides, that post was for her, and it just happened to catch your eye and prompt a response from you. I'm still waiting for her response.



    Okay then, let's hear it. Why don't they apply to everyone? What gives them the right to be exempt?



    If you think what I said is wrong, then don't just dismiss it, refute it. If it is warped, as you say, then that shouldn't be a problem.



    Legally perhaps, in the same manner your full siblings remain your siblings even after your parents have separated. For now, I'd like to toss out this argument; you and your step-sibling may not be related genetically, which might give you license to sex and whatnot, provided your step-sibling sees things your way, too. And yet you cannot deny the bond that has formed by sharing parents. If you two fully consent to getting hitched, then wouldn't there be some degree of awkwardness not just between the two of you, but to those already aware of your prior relationship as legal siblings? That in itself should complicate matters.



    And princesslady, could you tell me what's so cynical about what I said? All I did was present where the morally relativistic position leads. Personally, I don't think people are all that selfish.

    Let me put this in a form of a question: "If your morals, not to mention everyone else's, don't apply to me, and mine don't apply to you or anyone else, then whose does? Why do we have laws, anyway?"

    Perhaps you could do me a favor and show me where I made a mistake.

    And I don't think what I've posted previously is completely unrelated. I've already paid my fee by giving you my take on the main topic, so there.
    please just move on. we're all a little sick of your instigation.

    but anywho, Miroku makes a great point. It all depends on the situation. Growing up as if you were siblings is wrong, but had you been going steady for a while and by some fateful chance, your folks got married, then theres no reason to stop.

    While i do feel incest is wrong, there's nothing we can do about it.
    Why hello there!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoDeath90 For This Useful Post:

    Rook (Nov 09, 2008)

  4. #27
    Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    If everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as you just said, then there should be no debate to begin with. After all, if there's no such thing as right or wrong when it comes to matters such as these, then what amounts to a "debate" would be simply mere talking past one another, and this debate seems to me a case in point.

    Paradoxically, if everyone's opinions matter, then nobody's opinions matter. Nobody's right or wrong anyway, so why bother?
    Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I believe the whole point to a debate is to argue your case. Are you for or against step-sibling marriage? Then the discussion aspect comes in, where both sides give reasons for and against. I do agree with you in that there really isn't a point to debates here, because there's no judge, no adjudication. Which side was victorious? It really is just a discussion if you put it that way. However, forums exist for people to share opinions and discuss matters informally, so it shouldn't matter that there isn't a final victor in every debate & discuss thread. Perhaps, if there was a poll for every thread, the victorious side could be ascertained.

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    "Everyone's entitled to their opinion..."

    Therefore:

    1. You can't accuse me of committing a crime if I decide to mug you on the street one day and leave you for dead, because as an individual, I am entitled to money to feed and clothe myself, and it just so happened that you had some extra cash on you and you were unwilling to share. My opinion matters to me more than yours do, anyway.

    2. Pedophiles have their "opinion" too, and say it's perfectly fine to have sex with minors, because everyone has the right to pursue happiness, and pleasure is a form of happiness. Therefore, since they're doing what's right to them, we should leave them alone. Rapists, too.

    ...

    In other words, since morality is relative, there's no such thing as evil. So you have no right to complain if I do you wrong. You can't accuse the government of being unfair or unjust in its dealings. There's no evil, hence no act is evil, hence there isn't such a thing as crime, and therefore everyone is free to do as he pleases, as long as they're acting according to their opinion.

    To rid the world of all things "wrong" and "evil", all one must do is to eliminate the notion of evil once and for all.

    Is this the position you maintain?
    No. Simply because you are entitled to your own opinion, and maintain your own set of morals, does not give you the right to abide by your own laws. For example, here in Australia, same-sex marriage is illegal. While my morals tell me there is nothing wrong with same-sex marriage, it does not mean I have the right to marry someone of the same sex. I am still legally obligated to abide by all of the laws set out by Australian legislature. If you follow my example, many homosexual couples often migrate to other countries where same-sex marriage is legal. Darren Hayes, lead singer of the Australian pop duo Savage Garden, entered into a civil partnership (basically the same rights and responsibilities as a civil marriage) with his boyfriend in London, something he could not have done in Australia. So, if you don't like the laws your country has set, then I suggest you migrate.

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    You walk into a debate... And find my cross-examining disturbing?

    Answer me this: what is debating without criticism and argumentation?
    There is no such thing as a debate without criticism and argumentation.


    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    Let me put this in a form of a question: "If your morals, not to mention everyone else's, don't apply to me, and mine don't apply to you or anyone else, then whose does? Why do we have laws, anyway?"
    Laws are in place to prevent chaos and destruction, as is clearly seen in countries such as Zimbabwe, where very few follow their laws, and therefore the country is in political, social and economic turmoil. Laws do not equate to morals, as I've said before. Just because you do not think that a law is right, it does not mean you do not have you follow the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    please just move on. we're all a little sick of your instigation.
    On the other hand, I quite enjoy this debate. psychical's raised some very valid points. A debate is meant to get you thinking, and I believe psychical's managed to get us all thinking. =]

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical shadow angel For This Useful Post:

    dark anime prince (Nov 17, 2008)

  6. #28
    Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    I have two step-brothers and for me to even think about that is discusting.... but let's say you didn't grow up with that person... then I think is ok
    However... I would think that as a very unrespectful thing for the parenst that want to form a new family....
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

  7. #29
    Newbie Moonlit Paradise is off to a good start Moonlit Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Rook
    Say what youll say.

    But people will do what they do.


    Your morals do not apply to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel
    I like that word. MORALS. It changes so fast you can never keep track of it. So anyways, yeah, I agree. What might be okay with one person, in one generation, might not be okay with another person, in another generation. It's believed that the ancient Egyptian pharaoh, Tutankhamun, married many of his blood sisters. It was common back then to marry your blood siblings to keep the royal bloodline pure. It wasn't until much later that they realized their offspring wouldn't turn out too good.
    What is WRONG with you people?!?!?

    They aren't just MY morals. It's not any more of a moral issue than it is biological. Two people falling in love with such similar genetic makeups is NOT OKAY for the future generation they will create. It would come out a vegetable or worse. Why put your child or children through that? I'd be on the same boat as you guys, but you have to understand - there is a bigger picture at hand. Yes, what if they don't have kids. Well, we can't risk that now, can we. Things slip, things break, birth control isn't exactly a 100% security blanket... and let's face it. If people are in love, they're going to get physical.

    It's just not okay. Love is love, but there are limits.

    If someone falls in love with an animal, is it okay to be in a relationship with it as well?
    Even though "love is love".

    Jesus people. Let's get serious for a bit and stop throwing word vomit around.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight mistress
    What if you were already in a relationship but your parents got married first? should you stop feeling love for that person?

    But if you were brought up together as brother and sister its a bit icky
    we're talking about BLOOD siblings, here.

  8. #30
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Paradise View Post
    ... They aren't just MY morals. It's not any more of a moral issue than it is biological. Two people falling in love with such similar genetic makeups is NOT OKAY for the future generation they will create. It would come out a vegetable or worse. Why put your child or children through that? I'd be on the same boat as you guys, but you have to understand - there is a bigger picture at hand. Yes, what if they don't have kids. Well, we can't risk that now, can we. Things slip, things break, birth control isn't exactly a 100% security blanket... and let's face it. If people are in love, they're going to get physical.
    Actually, similar studies have been done concerning the increased genetic risks of marriage between cousins. Unless the genetic issue is obvious and fatal (such as sickle cell anemia...), doubling, or tripling the chances of a very rare genetic disease still results in a very rare genetic disease. Inbreeding would have to occur over multiple generations (as what happened with some well documented European royalty bloodlines)... And with proper genetic screening, even the worse of this can be avoided. So simple genetics is not, by itself, a justifiable reason to avoid this practice...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  9. #31
    Newbie Moonlit Paradise is off to a good start Moonlit Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Well here's an article on half siblings who fell in love:

    click .

    After reading it, I'm not too sure what to think anymore. I mean, I'm 100% supportive of gay marriage and gay adoption, etc. And when I think about it, I'm a extremely accepting person. But right when it comes to incest amongst siblings, or any relatives for that matter... what is the difference?

    I don't know. I looked it up Len, and couldn't really find a definite reason for why siblings cannot have relations. The genetic defect for the child is a possibility, but not necessarily inevitable.

    I just don't know. I feel it's morally wrong, but like most have said thus far, not everyone's morals match up equally.

    Wow, I'm not too sure what to think anymore.

  10. #32
    Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Step-Sibling Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Paradise View Post
    What is WRONG with you people?!?!?
    Aww you hurt my feelings. There's nothing wrong with me. xD

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Paradise View Post
    They aren't just MY morals. It's not any more of a moral issue than it is biological. Two people falling in love with such similar genetic makeups is NOT OKAY for the future generation they will create. It would come out a vegetable or worse. Why put your child or children through that? I'd be on the same boat as you guys, but you have to understand - there is a bigger picture at hand. Yes, what if they don't have kids. Well, we can't risk that now, can we. Things slip, things break, birth control isn't exactly a 100% security blanket... and let's face it. If people are in love, they're going to get physical.

    It's just not okay. Love is love, but there are limits.

    If someone falls in love with an animal, is it okay to be in a relationship with it as well?
    Even though "love is love".
    ...
    we're talking about BLOOD siblings, here.
    Let's get this straight - we're talking about step siblings here. Step siblings are not necessarily blood related at all.

    You've had your say, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Being sexually attracted to your blood siblings is not okay. However, if you're not blood related at all, what's the big deal? You're not jeopardizing the genetic make-up of your kids, so I say, what the heck. Do what you want.

    I believe you misinterpreted my post though. My example of Tutankhamun's marriage to his blood sisters was simply to show that marriage between blood siblings was morally ethical back then, particularly with the Royal families, to keep the bloodline pure. However, in today's society, in no way is it morally ethical to marry your blood siblings. I thought it was a good example to show the drastic change in morals.

    You're right in that "it's not any more of a moral issue than it is biological." In Tutankhamun's time though, they didn't know a whole lot about the biological makeup of humans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Paradise View Post
    I just don't know. I feel it's morally wrong, but like most have said thus far, not everyone's morals match up equally.

    Wow, I'm not too sure what to think anymore.
    It doesn't matter what others think. If it's morally unethical to you, then that's that. Just abide by your laws, and if your laws say no-no to blood marriages, then it's a no-no for you too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who is the greatest sibling
    By heavery in forum Dragon Ball
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
  2. Worst thing your sibling did to you
    By P.R. Princess in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jun 06, 2007, 08:53 AM
  3. The Last Step
    By flaminghate in forum Poems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
  4. *~every step~*
    By dark angel swordsman in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2005, 06:07 PM
  5. A Step By Step Guide To Being Popular On Anime Forums.
    By Miroku4444 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts