+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stereo-types/Labels

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Stereo-types/Labels

@thread starter: Get over it. Stereotypes and profiling are inevitable, I've made this point many times and I'll say it again: no matter what you choose, once you choose it you automatically inherit the stereotypes that come with that style, good and bad. If you dress all black you're goth or emo, which means you have low self-esteem and listen to hard core music. I you're a chick and blonde and was are is a cheerleader, you're a dumb blonde squared. But hey, at least you get the hot football guys, right? If you wear glasses, spiderman t-shirts, and spend your saturday nights playing with your chubby buddies on their Xbox 360...NERD.

Everyone is labeled, everyone is stereotyped. As long as you know and the people you know know that you aren't defined by your inherited stereotype, why should it matter? As previously stated people must classify everything, it is in our logical nature, and don't any of you ever pretend you haven't at some point in your life labeled someone solely off their looks. We all have.

Good thread btw, I needed to get that off my chest.

Newbie Vampyre may be famous one day Vampyre may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    @thread starter: Get over it. Stereotypes and profiling are inevitable, I've made this point many times and I'll say it again: no matter what you choose, once you choose it you automatically inherit the stereotypes that come with that style, good and bad. If you dress all black you're goth or emo, which means you have low self-esteem and listen to hard core music. I you're a chick and blonde and was are is a cheerleader, you're a dumb blonde squared. But hey, at least you get the hot football guys, right? If you wear glasses, spiderman t-shirts, and spend your saturday nights playing with your chubby buddies on their Xbox 360...NERD.

Everyone is labeled, everyone is stereotyped. As long as you know and the people you know know that you aren't defined by your inherited stereotype, why should it matter? As previously stated people must classify everything, it is in our logical nature, and don't any of you ever pretend you haven't at some point in your life labeled someone solely off their looks. We all have.

Good thread btw, I needed to get that off my chest.
    I am well aware that it is inevitable. I just merely dont like it. I thinks its stupid.

And just because i wear black doesnt mean i have low self-esteem. I like myself the way that i am.
    Etsuans interius,
    Ira Vehementi.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, "If I live, I'll kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Newbie RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Dark.
    Everyone is labeled, everyone is stereotyped. As long as you know and the people you know know that you aren't defined by your inherited stereotype, why should it matter? As previously stated people must classify everything, it is in our logical nature, and don't any of you ever pretend you haven't at some point in your life labeled someone solely off their looks. We all have
    I couldn't agree more. I am guilty of labeling/stereotyping and it has been done to me. I guess where I differ from most, is that I'm not bothered in the least bit when it is done to me. It is common for people to get the wrong impression of me, due to the way I dress and behave(casual messy and imature). If it gives somebody comfort to label me based on this, it's OK by me. I'm happy with who I am and at the end of the day I know they're wrong and that's all that matters.

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death" - Dave Barry
    "There's no such thing as too much power, just too little traction" - Me
    "I love sleep. It's the one place I'm safe from life and all the saddness it brings."

Newbie Vassago may be famous one day Vassago may be famous one day Vassago's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
    I never said anything about racism...

And i know that stereo-typing and labeling isnt going to go away. It just annoys me from time to time.
    Yep...that'd be why my post wasn't pointed directly at you...

But it was brought up; considering the FOB, ABC- they're racial.
    I gave my heart.
    My blood.

Nothing is forever.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
    Ok....i dont know about all of you. But i am really getting sick of all the labels and stereo-types these days. It seems no matter what, everyone feels the need to label everyone else, creating all these groups that despise one another.

I think its stupid. Humans as a people cannot not be simply seperated into groups like that. People alone are too diverse and too complicated.

I dont care what anyone says, just because you might share certain similarities or interests as one of these lables doesnt mean you are one.

Many times have i been called goth among other things. I dont believe i am any one of them. I am me.....not goth....not anything else. Yes i like to wear all black, but so what?

People just seem to feel the need to segregate themselves from those they deem unworthy of being considered the same 'type' of human being.

So what are your thoughts on this?
    don't try to lump everyone togetherm i hold my oppinion until i know you. i never take firs-impressionsand i never listen to what other people say about someone until i can observe it myself.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Newbie Vampyre may be famous one day Vampyre may be famous one day
    Thanks

I just dont like it when people automatically label you on first impressions...especially when they dont even talk to you first..
    Etsuans interius,
    Ira Vehementi.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, "If I live, I'll kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Everyone labels everyone from the moment we see eachother.
    It's an automatic function we all have.

But you're probably talking about putting people into certain groups.
    It is true that this happens way too much but on the other side most of us also try to be members of a certain group.
    I don't agree on that automatic function statement. It may have a warning meaning if that person is a skinhead, but further experience shadows it quickly.
    There are several labels in our language too and I will mention some just for fun here. They may seem discriminating to some groups, but I will only say it as objectively as possible.
    socka - the most prominent one. It has these connotations: poor man, leftist, bus commuter. More than half of the nation can be sorted here, but most don't admit it and secretly they think they are a poor exception and that the rest is better.
    šampón - probably named after a hair cleaner, shampoo. These are very conscious of their appearance and belong to the middle class. They may have red skin with acne on the places they wash especially carefully. (No sarcasm here, this happens due to repeated skin dehydration.)
    skejťák - the skateboard rider by word, but not necessarily IRL. They are however classified more by "baggy" clothes, thin legs and youth look. They are mostly happy.
    smažka - the dopie. Skinnier legs, happier face and more unfocused stare than that of a skateboard rider.
    hip*sák - derived from the word hippie, but it's actually mixed punk and goth. They wear black clothes "beautified" with those shiny metal plates removed off cigarette lighters. They may add shiny bolt nuts and keyrings (sometimes with keys that are lost from locks) and if it's a female person, a mončičák, which is a 2-inch-sized plush animal hanging on a string on their backpack. A hip*sák who is richer, i.e. not a socka, can buy a wristband or belt with metal pyramids on it. The hip*sáks tend to use the coarsest language they know, which results in funny insults if they are too young to know sexual insults.

I mention these classes because you can label a person on sight with them. You may correct your assumption later.

Otaku sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto's Avatar
    Thanks

stereotype (or stereotyping) is an everyday thing, I must agree.. more like a post-first-impression thing for us... I'm not saying that it's good.. or bad for that matter.. however, stereotyping or labeling somehow masks reality, as humans are almost certainly unpredictable... you can't box them in one image or personality.. you never will know what's in a person's heart with just one glance..

They say you can't use oversized signatures here on AO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast