+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stereotyped by style of clothing

Otaku crazy canadin emo kid is off to a good start crazy canadin emo kid's Avatar
    in a place whare i cant see a place whare im dead and broken
    Thanks

Re: Stereotyped by style of clothing

so what you are saying is that is what seen is ok thinks for the info and yes i know what you mean i walk to school every day and its only like 10min. walk and every day its the same people yelling and honking thare horns at me and it sucks but i learded to deal with it and this as been going on for about 7 years now so it dose mine me all that much now
    the one and only show that rocks my socks
    the one show that i cant live
    with out.

soul society will live on forever in the minds of its poeple!!!

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    It's not 'these days' it's 'always'. We automatically judge people by appearance and scent. There's nothing recent about that, it has been that way forever.
    By saying you're 'goth at heart but dress emo' you are actually putting yourself into a specific category. If you do that you can't really expect others to not view you in this context as well.
    Well I don't go around saying I am a Goth, live with it. I just don't like the amount of disrespect that most social groups/stereotypes get. Look at Emo;s, not all of them self harm but yet they get verbal abuse telling them to die so the world will be a better place. Its not like I go around and tell jerks/Chav's to go and binge drink and die from too much alcohol abuse. If I did that then surely I would get arrested for harassment but when I reported harassment because of the way I dress, I might get recommended to see a doctor to make sure I didn't self harm.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Sazzy, as much as I adore you Hassun is absolutely right. People are going to make a first impression in the first 10 seconds they see you based on what you look like. Unless you get to know them personally that opinion has no reason to change. It has always been that way and always will and people need to take into account what they look like if they don't like the impression they give.

When I was a teenager I dressed for me. It was fun and I look back on it and laugh. HOWEVER I took first impressions into account and toned it down just enough so that I wouldn't give people the wrong impression. When I had been in college a few years I decided I was ready for a change so I changed the way I dressed... well most of the time. I still indulged myself once or twice a week. It was still me just another facet of who I am and one that wouldn't get the "what the" reactions I enjoyed so much. My social life boomed and as people got to know me they discovered that I was just as quirky as the way I used to/occasionally dressed.

We don't have to define ourselves by the way we dress but strangers will. Don't like your image? Then change it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Well I don't go around saying I am a Goth, live with it. I just don't like the amount of disrespect that most social groups/stereotypes get. Look at Emo;s, not all of them self harm but yet they get verbal abuse telling them to die so the world will be a better place. Its not like I go around and tell jerks/Chav's to go and binge drink and die from too much alcohol abuse. If I did that then surely I would get arrested for harassment but when I reported harassment because of the way I dress, I might get recommended to see a doctor to make sure I didn't self harm.
    Y'know, the funny thing is the two fashion styles are quite similar. Not identical, but somewhat alike. I can understand maybe being confused and asking, "Hey, are you by any chance Goth or Emo?" But to blatantly say that someone should probably go seek help because they LOOK suicidal is kinda far fetched. How does one LOOK like they're gonna harm his/herself? Where's the logic in that??

I also agree with your view on Emos in general. Not all of them are angsty, whiny, cry-baby cutters with a knack for suicidal thoughts. Yeah, there are quite a few people who fit those shoes, but not all of them. Have you ever given an opinion on a video game without even looking at the screenshots, let alone play the damn game?? I haven't! Probably never will. Just like I'll never judge a person without at least talking to them first. It makes no sense and I fail to see how anyone can sleep at night when they take joy in talkin' trash about people that they know absolutely nothing about.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

ok yes people are going to base their opinion on someone in the first 10 seconds but is it the right to do?

I mean its bad enough I get told to die just because i wear black is that really respectful? Its no wonder that those who self harm do with all of the pressure from other people but when you really think about it, they don't have themselves to blame, its pressure and bullying that mostly leads to it.

I always say myself as a cheerful person but recently after getting told to die, its no wonder I get depressed. Some people really do just speak without thinking just so they can look all tough to the people around them.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Books are a good analogy

While it may indeed be hard to get a full feeling for the book by looking at it's cover. But one CAN generally get a feel for it's genre.

And since we don't have time to read EVERY book in the store: obviously we're going to gravitate toward the ones with covers and summaries we find interesting. It's impractical to expect people to stop you on the street and interview you about your life and personality BEFORE they decide whether to think one way or another about you.

If fashion doesn't matter: why worry about it at all? If you're going to go through the trouble of following a fashion trend at all: you must think it says something about yourself or sends a message you want to send? Fashion, hair, makeup, etc. are all about presenting an image of yourself to the world. Your brain and personality have nothing to do with your eyeliner, your purse or your hairstyle: and yet, people worry about all three. Basically, when you get dressed in the morning you're creating an advertisement for yourself (to the opposite sex, to potential friends, to employers and to the world). If you dress to a stereotype, you will judged by it.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    ok yes people are going to base their opinion on someone in the first 10 seconds but is it the right to do?

I mean its bad enough I get told to die just because i wear black is that really respectful? Its no wonder that those who self harm do with all of the pressure from other people but when you really think about it, they don't have themselves to blame, its pressure and bullying that mostly leads to it.

I always say myself as a cheerful person but recently after getting told to die, its no wonder I get depressed. Some people really do just speak without thinking just so they can look all tough to the people around them.
    Telling someone to die is pretty horrible in my opinion. It's one thing to secretly wish death to someone. Lots of people do. "I wish he/she would croak!" But they usually have a damn good reason when it hits that level of anger or resentment. To just walk up to someone that you've never met ever in your life and to tell them to die--or something along those lines--is just plain rude, disrespectful and shows that the person has no consideration toward the feelings of others (I'm sure that person's family would be included with the inconsideration).

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Books are a good analogy

While it may indeed be hard to get a full feeling for the book by looking at it's cover. But one CAN generally get a feel for it's genre.

And since we don't have time to read EVERY book in the store: obviously we're going to gravitate toward the ones with covers and summaries we find interesting. It's impractical to expect people to stop you on the street and interview you about your life and personality BEFORE they decide whether to think one way or another about you.

If fashion doesn't matter: why worry about it at all? If you're going to go through the trouble of following a fashion trend at all: you must think it says something about yourself or sends a message you want to send? Fashion, hair, makeup, etc. are all about presenting an image of yourself to the world. Your brain and personality have nothing to do with your eyeliner, your purse or your hairstyle: and yet, people worry about all three. Basically, when you get dressed in the morning you're creating an advertisement for yourself (to the opposite sex, to potential friends, to employers and to the world). If you dress to a stereotype, you will judged by it.
    Yeah, you're right. Society has jugded people by the way they look for many many moons. But that doesn't make it right. There are people out there who make a concious effort to be polite, kind and respectful toward others. There are people out there who have no tolerance for that type of judgement. What makes the disrespect so acceptable is what I would like to know.

I bet if I walked up to a Korean and said, "You must be Chinese," they'd get uber pissed and call me all sorts of ass-hats, b****es and mother f***ers. If I walked up to a man in a three piece suit and said, "You must make a lot of money as a pimp, huh?" I'd get yelled at, cussed out or beat up. So what makes it acceptable? Why should we have to deal with perpetual ignorance, when everybody should've learned from their parents that it's wrong?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I bet if I walked up to a Korean and said, "You must be Chinese," they'd get uber pissed and call me all sorts of ass-hats, b****es and mother f***ers. If I walked up to a man in a three piece suit and said, "You must make a lot of money as a pimp, huh?" I'd get yelled at, cussed out or beat up. So what makes it acceptable? Why should we have to deal with perpetual ignorance, when everybody should've learned from their parents that it's wrong?
    Everyone's working with different information and depending on the person, they're working with a different disposition. Everyone makes judgements based on appearance: that doesn't mean they're always informed, correct or pleasant ones. But assuming you know the stereotypes you're likely to be judged by BEFORE you choose to dress befitting them: you should more than expect the conclusions others are going to jump to.

As for SAYING something to a complete stranger based on their appearance: that would make you an idiot. Chances are they're that way to EVERYONE.

I don't think goths, emos, chavs, lolitas, otaku, jocks, whatever... deserve kid glove treatment. They CHOOSE how they look and they have the power to control perceptions of others. More power to them if they don't care. But complaining seems pretty silly when people are judged constantly in public AND in religion and politics for being a certain race, gender, nationality, or sexuality... having disbilities, etc. ie. things they can't change.

If the way people think about you based on your clothes bothers you that much: don't dress that way.

But seriously: why do you care?

Idiots are idiots. And they're everywhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast