+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Supreme Court's recent decisions.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Supreme Court's recent decisions.

Well in my opinion lifelong imprisonment is worse than the death penalty so that's all a matter of personal 'preference' isn't it?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Well in my opinion lifelong imprisonment is worse than the death penalty so that's all a matter of personal 'preference' isn't it?
    ^_^ especially if the Supreme Court followed my idea of have long term prisons in deserts/tundras and forced to do hard, menial labor for the rest of their able bodied lives!

but i digress...

even though i am heavily against the death penalty, i was still like "WTF you can't kill the rapists anymore??" but i do truly believe that no one person has that kind of dominion over another's life. and besides, they'll probably get murdered (or at least severely beaten) in prison, and they'll never have their life back... and if they want to die, they'll have to kill themselves the no good sons-a-b!tches!

and as for gun control... yay! America was won with guns and Bibles! now you may ask, "Abu, why do you support people having guns but no support the death pentalty? wtf? LOL!" and i would respond, "just cuz i don't agree with the death penalty, doesn't mean i think everyone in the world is perfect and great and lovely. humans have the right to protect their homes and families and loved ones. and if they kill a robber or no-do-gooder on their property... well what the hell was the guy doing there? and how can you punish a lucky shot?"

^_^ but whatever, you guys probably debate better than i do...

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Well thats where i disagree with the Supreme Court, it should be based on the worst acts of heinous crimes, which includes child rape. Where these acts don't have to have a physical death of the victim to meet this requirement for a death sentence. Since, most of the time it results in the death of the child spirit, innocence, and stable mental state anyway. They may be physically alive, but their dead inside.
    OK, then lets start splitting hairs... A 5 year old would meet a definition of a child, but what about a 12 year old? a 16 year old?, a 18 year old? Would it make a difference if the victim was a non-virgin? mentally retarded? an abandoned runaway? a juvenile delinquent? if the victim was consenting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    The line would be drawn at, crimes would have to be classified heinous enough to meet the death penalty status. Which would be determined by the courts of each state. Thats the line drawn...
    And this is one of the reasons why state laws are appealed to the Supreme Court. Would it be fair if the crime had the death penalty in one state, but if the crime had occurred just a few hundred yards away it would only be given a 5 year sentence. One of the requirements to prevent 'cruel and unusual punishment' is to ensure consistency in the penalties for the enforcement of the Laws of the Land. Ultimately IT IS The Supreme Court that sets the standard definition for crimes heinous enough to meet the death penalty status...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in New Jersey, where the Death Penalty had been abloished for good.

And I completely support that decision, as I support the 2nd Supreme Court decision.

This is in general, for rapists and murderers :

If a person commits one or both of these actions, the person can either be sane or insane. If he is insane, he has no right to be punished in a normal jail and needs to be sent to a psychiatric facility. If the person is sane, he will have to maybe deal with his own guilt biting away at him in a jail cell. But definitely, he will have to deal with surviving in a hell-hole jail trying to survive.

If you get the death penalty, you get closure and you know when it's coming. If you get life in jail, closure can sneak up at any minute. If I had a coice, I'd choose the first.

But, people on this thread have forgotten the three primary purposes of the US Penal System: To Punish (We know that one), To protect society (also, obvious), and to REHABILLITATE! Jails have programs on everything from schoolng to prisoner crime rehab (where jailmates learn how to stop their crime and be a productive member of society.

If a man raped a little boy, went to jail, did rehab, and was psychoanalyzed to prove he is sane, I would accept him as a part of society. It would take much time to trust him (especially if I had a small child), and I would be very suspicous. But I would try my best to see what he is, rather than what he was.

Forgiveness is very improtant;the world cannot function without it. It may take time, but it eventually needs to happen.

Don't get me wrong: These people need to be checked up on by police and be watched very closely. But if the person is truly reahbilitated, he (and the people around him) hould have nothing to worry about.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well the death penalty was new to me to begin with, so I honestly can't say anything about a difference in opinion. I would want the death penalty myself, but then again, I consider a slow death priority number one. I was young and stupid doesn't really cut it for me, so rehabilitation is no excuse.

Honestly, I find it strange why some would consider prison just a walk in the park, a simple few years of solitude. Where I was raised and every place I have been, rapists and child rapists especially, don't exactly get a nice cool breeze behind bars. Most people hate them more than any willian out there and they end up recieving a great deal of "special" treatment. If they aren't killed within a few months, they tend to get a good sense of what is really means to be raped.

That is just me though and what I have experienced. Yes, I think death is a easier sentence, but that is because I think dieing or simply living a painful unending experience in prison is so much more suitable for their likes.

Oh yes, my opinion on guns is moot. It really depends and I will have to make my decision later. I like guns, but then I don't like bad people with guns. Simple right? Toss of the coin in either situation.
    Last edited by Tbaism; Jun 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    and as for gun control... yay! America was won with guns and Bibles! now you may ask, "Abu, why do you support people having guns but no support the death pentalty? wtf? LOL!" and i would respond, "just cuz i don't agree with the death penalty, doesn't mean i think everyone in the world is perfect and great and lovely. humans have the right to protect their homes and families and loved ones. and if they kill a robber or no-do-gooder on their property... well what the hell was the guy doing there? and how can you punish a lucky shot?"

^_^ but whatever, you guys probably debate better than i do...
    I agree with you actually, but not on the same basis. At this point any ban on guns would only favored the criminals that has unregistered guns. Yet I still don't believe that a normal civilian can really protect his/her family with guns even with training. If we can predict when something is going to happen to you it will not happen. It is the "surprise" that often leave us unready for things like break ins.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Re: Supreme Court's recent decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
    they shouldn't kill them they should castrate them and make them suffer for the rest of their lives. rape a child death is a simple and useless punishment make them regret their mistakes and let them live but in embarrassment and shame for the rest of their lives.
    hey yea, ive always wondered that!

how come they dont just castrate rapists and sex offenders?

it'd definitly make a perv think twice right?
    Yay-yea?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

OK, then lets start splitting hairs... A 5 year old would meet a definition of a child, but what about a 12 year old? a 16 year old?, a 18 year old?
    All would meet the definition of a child but the 18 year old, because at 18 your considered an adult in the laws eyes.

Would it make a difference if the victim was a non-virgin? mentally retarded? an abandoned runaway? a juvenile delinquent? if the victim was consenting?
    Knowing our court system it probably would matter, but it shouldn't on all but that last one. The last one involves consent so that wouldn't really make it heinous, but still a crime(I.E. Statutory rape).

If you get the death penalty, you get closure and you know when it's coming. If you get life in jail, closure can sneak up at any minute. If I had a choice, I'd choose the first.

But, people on this thread have forgotten the three primary purposes of the US Penal System: To Punish (We know that one), To protect society (also, obvious), and to REHABILLITATE! Jails have programs on everything from schooling to prisoner crime rehab (where jailmates learn how to stop their crime and be a productive member of society.

If a man raped a little boy, went to jail, did rehab, and was psychoanalyzed to prove he is sane, I would accept him as a part of society. It would take much time to trust him (especially if I had a small child), and I would be very suspicous. But I would try my best to see what he is, rather than what he was.

Forgiveness is very improtant;the world cannot function without it. It may take time, but it eventually needs to happen.

Don't get me wrong: These people need to be checked up on by police and be watched very closely. But if the person is truly reahbilitated, he (and the people around him) hould have nothing to worry about.
    Your looking at it all from the criminals point of view, what about the victim? Why would a victims family want Jails to have programs on everything from schooling to prisoner crime rehab. Why should he get that opportunity when the victims 6 feet under? With the death penalty victims of crime or family members get the relief that he'll never harm them or anyone again.
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Jun 29, 2008 at 08:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3