+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Swearing?

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Swearing?

I feel that there are no "bad words". the only reason I don't use these words more often is because I have a tendency to offend people without them, I can only imagine if I used em constantly. Its really too bad that everyone has to limit their use of the English language because a few people didn't like the sound of a word.

@Arrianna, I agree that politeness and appropriatness of topic for conversation has a huge part in what is socially acceptable, but I think that there is a whole other level at this point. I mean take this site for example, why is it ok to type crap but not ok to type sh*t? do you see my point. I'm not talking about topics Im talking words. Where is the line drawn and why there? Is it because of a social/economical divide a hundred years ago? I don't know.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

I feel that there are no "bad words". the only reason I don't use these words more often is because I have a tendency to offend people without them, I can only imagine if I used em constantly. Its really too bad that everyone has to limit their use of the English language because a few people didn't like the sound of a word.
    I guess I understand what you are saying. But it is just like smoking or drinking. It gets annoying, and does offend people. They do limit smoking and drinking in certain areas by law over here in the US. So there's really no reason not to do the same for swearing. I use cuss words sometimes.. but not overly. I hate potty mouths.
    Last edited by The White Wolf; Mar 23, 2007 at 06:19 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot View Post
    @Arrianna, I agree that politeness and appropriatness of topic for conversation has a huge part in what is socially acceptable, but I think that there is a whole other level at this point. I mean take this site for example, why is it ok to type crap but not ok to type sh*t? do you see my point. I'm not talking about topics Im talking words. Where is the line drawn and why there? Is it because of a social/economical divide a hundred years ago? I don't know.
    Often the difference is actually semantics and origins of words rather then the social economic factors you suspect as in your example. The word crap comes from [Middle English crappe, chaff, from Old French crappe, from Medieval Latin crappa, perhaps of Germanic origin.] as something worthless to be discarded or caste off, garbage. It started being used to mean "to defecate" in the 1800's but had not lost it's original meaning and as such is not automatically offensive. The origins of the other however [Middle English shitten, probably from Old English -sciten (as in besciten, covered with excrement), past participle of *scītan, to defecate; see skei- in Indo-European roots.] has always meant excrement.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 22, 2007 at 04:39 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Many children are raised not to curse, but are pressured into it by peers or social expectations, or are exposed to it at an early age and find nothing wrong with it. I remember (when I was eleven) I dropped my pencil box and said, "Crud." My ex-best friend rolled her eyes, "Oh, come on. Just say 'crap.'" And I did. Then, I watched "Back to the Future I;" there are over 80 curse words in the first hour. So I began saying more words. It's merely a bad habit; usually it indicates lower intelligence and the inability to come up with something wittier.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok... I have to admit... I found this thread to be somewhat intimidating. Theres so many directions It could run.

my personal POV is that the Ideals of "swear words" or "bad languege" has become like an old fashioned, pointless, trendy, moral code. The reason I say this, is that swearing is mostly frowned apon in youth... BUT its commonly heard and fairly acceptable among adults.

My One and a half year old son... Has become quite fond of saying "Oh Sh*t!"
    So here I am telling him "No No! Bad Word!" Then...As I try to get the strainer out of a tall cabinet... I knock over several items of tupperware all over the floor... "Oh Sh*t!" I exclaimed.... >_>
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

It's just a way of letting out your frustration and to some it's a bad habit.
    When I was very young, 4-6 years, I used to swear VERY MUCH. And which words a kid that young could say? You don't want to know...

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

i swear. most people do. just dont do it around little kids. they should find out about swearing from their friends or family, not me, a stranger.

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shu View Post
    i swear. most people do. just dont do it around little kids. they should find out about swearing from their friends or family, not me, a stranger.
    I was blessed enough to learn them from my father , I won't be following his example anytime soon . Of course I swear once in awhile, but never will I ever do it in front of my children if I ever have any, but should it slip, then 10 lashes should help me learn my lesson .
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast