+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Swearing?

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Swearing?

i swear. most people do. just dont do it around little kids. they should find out about swearing from their friends or family, not me, a stranger.
    Exactly. Which is why I cannot stand it when random people are walking in the street, cussing each other out like crazy when my nine year old little sister is right next to me. It sickens me how badly some people have it. They cuss, cuss, cuss.. as if they were never taught any manners. Ew .

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

This reminds me, my father swwears a lot when angry, and most of the time he won't recognise what he said. Annoys me a lot But hey, at least I know what to do and what not to.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

swearing, now heres something interesting..

my thoughts about it is that swearing is pretty much just like any other word really. if i want to be insulting i can do it many ways and more effective that just saying "ur a F-ing H-e". and swearing has its range of uses, like venting fustrasion, humor, and so on. but there is a fine line in how ppl should swear i reckon, and when it is acceptable.

like for example age groups. we tend not to like say young children swearing (i did really swear much as a kid, really naive, + didn't know what it meant so never used it). i think the main reason y we don't like it is cause, we pretty much know they don't know what it means and having a innocent kid saying stuff like F*&K (before they know what sex is) i guess is disheartening. plus i guess its pretty much saying that the kid have lost there innocents, which i think many parents cherish (cause we all know they love to think that there kids will always be kids, a part of parent hood i don't understand, or have experianced).

but then again u look at swearing in like the 'adult' or older age group where its pretty much accepted. like from my personal perspective, swearing is pretty much a common thing, and hell half the jokes we make are rude while using a large range in the swearing vocabulary (thats what i like to call it). its common between me, my friends, my teachers, and so on (even my parents). and to me there are some things that can be most easily summed up by swearing, its more of a convenience really.

but this all said and done. like everything and everywhere we go in society, there is a certain way we should act in any given situation. such as formal functions, parties, around friends and family, strangers, and so on.

so to me words are words and if u want to be insultive y not get creative with ur swearing instead of just saying random words in anger. try to make some really low remarks about them. after all its still part of our language and we might as well use it to our advantage. plus i'm sure plenty of swear words or slang will be developed over the years. so maybe one day, swearing might become desensitised to the point of crap and b!+#ch (not sure how accepted this one is, here its fine, but not sure for other places). might not be 2 far away, since its heard, said, and even seen everywhere.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Often the difference is actually semantics and origins of words rather then the social economic factors you suspect as in your example. The word crap comes from [Middle English crappe, chaff, from Old French crappe, from Medieval Latin crappa, perhaps of Germanic origin.] as something worthless to be discarded or caste off, garbage. It started being used to mean "to defecate" in the 1800's but had not lost it's original meaning and as such is not automatically offensive. The origins of the other however [Middle English shitten, probably from Old English -sciten (as in besciten, covered with excrement), past participle of *scītan, to defecate; see skei- in Indo-European roots.] has always meant excrement.
    I can understand your point that some words have uses that arent "bad". But my point remains the same, why can I use excrement ( I can't think of another use for the word) and not the s-word, and I'm sure you can find a bunch of other colorfull examples for other "bad" words.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

ok here is some question is the word "shit" or "shut up" a swear word and it some cases "go to hell" suppose to be swearing i am not sure i just want someone to clear me on that.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot View Post
    I can understand your point that some words have uses that arent "bad". But my point remains the same, why can I use excrement ( I can't think of another use for the word) and not the s-word, and I'm sure you can find a bunch of other colorfull examples for other "bad" words.
    You know I am sure if people started saying "excrement" in everyday conversations it would be put on that list as well. As it is I don't know anyone who does. It just goes back to my earlier question. Are you in the habit of discussing your bowel movements in public?

Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    ok here is some question is the word "shit" or "shut up" a swear word and it some cases "go to hell" suppose to be swearing i am not sure i just want someone to clear me on that.
    "Shut up" is not a swear word it is merely rude. "Go to Hell" is considered swearing because you have just told someone to suffer for eternity. Not very nice either is it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lardo View Post
    So, what I was wondering is: what's so evil and taboo about swearing when it's just words? S**t for example, is just like saying crud, crap, poop or even rubbish so where's the problem?

I was only ever given one explanation, which was; during the times of a huge 'Class' divide (can't remember what centuary ) that such words were used by the 'lower' Class and were then branded as uncouthed and 'Common'. ie: the launguage of the gutter.

Another theory I came up with was that swear words were seen as a form of 'Curse' to the superstitious masses hence the name 'Curse Words' (Wow, fear my powers of deduction! )

Now, in todays society when the public's Moral Values on a whole are quite low and such things as superstition are now nonsense; why are simple words that are nothing, but an 'exageratted' expression of emotion be such a huge offence to people's well being?

If I get soaked by a car ploughing through a puddle that he could of easily avoided I'll automatically utter the words "Ya Dirty B*****d!" because there is no other way to vent my anger; that wont result with physical consequences; other than 'verbal' form.

What do you folks think about it?
    When you curse, it just something that is used in anger. But when people say it all the time, there trashy. I mean it's immature to do it all the time when your around your "friends" trying to be all macho. But later on you'll look back and see how dumb that was. A cursing is only something to do when your angry, if then.
    Its just a way to vent, and its meant to be bad, to go with what your feeling i guess.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Newbie ChiChi Omega is off to a good start ChiChi Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess some people just think so,at least they stand for something right!? I think just its a way of explaning youself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast