+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Swearing?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Swearing?

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    It is way easier to say f*** y** to someone you don't like than having to explain to them the many reasons why you hate them. Although, if you want to be more civilized than just tell whoever you don't like in a more polite way why you don't like her/him.
    Unless you are really offering sex then what possible excuse is there to tell someone that? All you have done is left a justifiable impression of your lack of self control and intelligence. Especially since the only time swearing is not offensive is when someone is being literal and even that depends on what they are being literal about. Polite conversation. If you wouldn't mention it in polite company and conversation it shouldn't be said at all.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    If you wouldn't mention it in polite company and conversation it shouldn't be said at all.
    Does that include books, movies, music, etc.? Most of the profanity in these media is excessive and unecessary, but some of the best movies ever made involve some *cough* questionable language; not to mention a handful of great novels and poems...I don't know that these would be nearly as powerful without the emphasis added by the language.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    Does that include books, movies, music, etc.? Most of the profanity in these media is excessive and unecessary, but some of the best movies ever made involve some *cough* questionable language; not to mention a handful of great novels and poems...I don't know that these would be nearly as powerful without the emphasis added by the language.
    Of course it does. Most of the time that "powerful language" actually distracts rather then enhances. It says the same thing about the people in the movies, books, music (and ofttimes the author) as it does in everyday life. Now if what is trying to be expressed by the author is that the characters are of low character and intelligence then it is probably appropriate for the characterization. Just realize that what a low life scum bag says in a movie is probably not a template you should take for your life unless you want to be considered likewise of low morals.

Again, if they are being literal it can be appropriate. The ending of a movie I enjoyed involved an expletive, just one word, just as the antagonist realized that he was going to die, imminently, and he couldn't do a thing about it. The sentiment in what he said came across perfectly, literally, and with clarity nor was it excessive in any way.
    Last edited by Hassun; Mar 29, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Don't you mean "detract"?

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course it does. Most of the time that "powerful language" actually distracts rather then enhances. It says the same thing about the people in the movies, books, music (and ofttimes the author) as it does in everyday life. Now if what is trying to be expressed by the author is that the characters are of low character and intelligence then it is probably appropriate for the characterization. Just realize that what a low life scum bag says in a movie is probably not a template you should take for your life unless you want to be considered likewise of low morals.

Again, if they are being literal it can be appropriate. The ending of a movie I enjoyed involved an expletive, just one word, just as the antagonist realized that he was going to die, imminently, and he couldn't do a thing about it. The sentiment in what he said came across perfectly, literally, and with clarity nor was it excessive in any way.
    I agree, somewhat. For movies like Scarface, Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction, yes, these are people one wouldn't want to emulate in real life, but I wouldn't say all of the characters who swear are of "low character or intelligence", but products of their respective environments. As far as media are concerned, the only way to provide a realistic insight is to show things how they are, and even if we all despise profanity, it still exists. And I still don't think these movies would have had the same impact without the language.

My endpoint would have to be that swearing in normal conversation--and even using the term "polite" doesn't hide the fact that all everyday conversation should be polite--is unnecessary and uncouth, but the words still exist, and when used properly (yes, I think even profanity has its place in language), they can still serve a purpose other than making the user seem uneducated or debased.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Again, if they are being literal it can be appropriate.
    What does that mean actually, im confused? So we should never cuss under any circumstances to be high character and high intelligence? So if i bang my finger with a hammer and yell FU**, I'm of low character and lack intelligence?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    What does that mean actually, im confused?
    Well if someone is really hoping for divine intervention mentioning God by name is hardly inappropriate is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    So we should never cuss under any circumstances to be high character and high intelligence? So if i bang my finger with a hammer and yell FU**, I'm of low character and lack intelligence?
    Let me ask you something in return. If hurting your finger makes you scream "SEX" just what DOES it say about you?

Or to put it more clearly (as Barronmore put it) what shows your intelligence and character more? The speech from Bilbo's party: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Or saying: "Wish I'ld gotten to know some of you better but the rest of you can "F" off."

Which response shows intelligence/character and which one shows a lack of intelligence/character?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

If hurting your finger makes you scream "SEX" just what DOES it say about you?
    Absolutely nothing. It will only notify the surrounding people that it really, really hurts.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me ask you something in return. If hurting your finger makes you scream "SEX" just what DOES it say about you?
    You got me. That would never be my reaction. For those splits seconds sex wouldnt be on my mind. Now if Kirsten Dunst walked into my presence, it might be.

So your saying you never cuss? Never?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast