+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 65 to 72 of 78

Thread: Swearing?

  1. #65
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Bloody isn't a swear word unless it is followed by hell.
    I believe it depends on where you live. A Scottish friend died laughing when she heard me say it once. Evidently where she's from some of the words we consider swear words aren't and visa versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I don't think cutting down on tv and what not will make you stop. If you heard it at least a few times in your life, it will come out in a form of a slip up. I dont think its bad if you cuss some arrianna, as long as you try your best not to. Well im not Mormon so it might be different for you guys?
    Really? That's funny since it did. Garbage in = garbage out. As for it being different for being LDS? I suppose it is in one way. We're taught how (and encouraged) to break the habit. It is more then possible.

    All in all the point is that it is possible to not swear you just have to choose not to. I also stand by my other point, swearing does not speak well of your intelligence or character. Unless you are being literal there is no excuse for it nor do I excuse myself.

    Now why do you seem to think my own lack of perfection makes it acceptable to indulge in swearing or anything else? There is only one perfect person and it is certainly not me.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 30, 2007 at 10:47 AM.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  2. #66
    Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Warp
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    I feel that swear words, just as with other words in the language portray different meanings when used in different ways. Swear words are parts of what you say just as all other words are. It is not the word itself but everything when it's put together that really matters. I never use swear words for insults, if you need to rely on a swear word then your original insult was not up to par in the first place. I step out of the 'gutter' and when I do employ their usage it is typically for either humor or emphasis. I know my groups and I know that around some people adding *insert curse of choice* would be frowned upon whereas with others it would generate laughter, or in some cases it would even be expected. I value being able to make people laugh as it is a very important trait that seemingly only humans have. I have employed swearing to cheer others up (and found it effective). I view the English language as a large painter's pallett and swear words could probably be represented by pure black or perhaps pure white. In many artists paintings you will seldom see a pure form of such extreme colors, however I am an artist who believes if you place them correctly then your painting can have that extra spark. But, as with any peice of art, great consideration must be placed on the 'where and when'. Context rules our language and it of course rules my speaking.

    I can go to and from different environments and act accordingly, I feel it is important anyone of profession to be able to do this. I can sit down for a formal dinner with colleagues today and tomorrow be hiking in the woods with my Comrade, us both attempting with much futility to dam up the ravine with dead foliage and the like.

    If only Tse Lu were still around, he was one who had the entire language held firmly under this thumb, very gifted writer and speaker I'm sure. And if you know him you would know well that he had no qualms whatsoever about the rougher words of the English language.

    Also, it is of note that it is not considered swearing if it is a correct term. For instance if you are referring to Hell as a location it is correct on all grounds.

    Also, there is a scientific term in psychology which though originally referred to a mating strategy in Sea Lions has been used in other contexts as well. This is known as the "Sneaky ****er Strategy" (the premis behind it is the fact that like many apes, sealions have a dominant male and in order to mate, the weakest of the males have to 'sneak off' with females far from the dominant males of the population.

    So if you ever have a strong desire to speak to a group about Sea Lions, feel free to drop that in as my Evolutionary Psychology professor did every chance he got.
    Last edited by frr_Vegeta; Mar 30, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

  3. #67
    Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Red face Re: Swearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    I believe it depends on where you live. A Scottish friend died laughing when she heard me say it once. Evidently where she's from some of the words we consider swear words aren't and visa versa.
    Oh yes... the place of living has a lot to do in what's a swearing word or what it isn't....
    I had an experience here on the University.... I am hispanic and I hang around with a lot of hispanic ppl from other countries.... once I was speaking with my bro and a hipanic frind of mine was there... I called my bro a name (I am his sis... I suppose to do that.....) and she looked at me as if I had said the worst thing on this earth and she said: "did you just called ur bro *spanish word*??? So I said: yes... so??
    She pointed that it was a really bad bad word in her country......

    after that day i don't say the word infront of her... even though for me has no bad meaning... it is uncomfortable for her and for some other friends that are from her country.....
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

  4. #68
    Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    BAH! The government made the words bad, not people. I swear all the time but I control it because some people are babies and take s**t too seriously. If I smash my finger while I'm hammering it doesn't matter where I'm at I'm still gonna cuss cause the s**t hurts. If some dude, or chick pisses me off to the point I have to say something it's prolly not gonna be "get away from me dummy head" because those words don't carry the same offense as curse words do. Thats the whole point in cursing, to offend to the highest possible degree, to shout at that stupid hammer and make it feel bad because you got your finger smashed! As I said earlier it wasn't just some guy/girl that decided one day that those words were bad, it was government and religious leaders to try and control the way everyone talked. Will I make my kids follow the rules and not curse? Of course I will because I don't want them to deal with the same bulls**t I had to and because I don't want to deal with it again from those same a**holes because of my kids/parenting. Cursing is just one of those things you have to chose the time and place to do and if you choose wrong then you have to deal with it.

  5. #69
    Newbie darlalpz may be famous one day darlalpz may be famous one day darlalpz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    i'm allowed to cuss as long as i dont cuss to ppl like my mom.And I don't cuss in front of ppl that don't like cussing it seems sorta disrespectful to me even if they don't say " hey can you not cuss in front of me" or something like that

  6. #70
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    "with nice words you can offend a person and the person will turn to you and say 'thank you'"
    BS, it has to be. So, instead "Don't open your mouth if what you will say will offend others". Dang, that qoute says it all.

  7. #71
    Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    BS, it has to be. So, instead "Don't open your mouth if what you will say will offend others". Dang, that qoute says it all.
    sometimes u have to insult ppl... not because u want but because of what ur going to say. It is a matter of knowing how to say things to people, cuss words are not a wise choice for me...
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

  8. #72
    Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Swearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    sometimes u have to insult ppl... not because u want but because of what ur going to say. It is a matter of knowing how to say things to people, cuss words are not a wise choice for me...
    I'm gonna hafta agree to some extent here cause sometimes some people just don't get the damn hint until you use a few choice four letter words. Thats how a lot of people (including myself) are finally listened to. You could pester someone all day and just because they say stop it or god you're annoying not get the hint but I bet if they said "leave me the fu** alone a**hole" you'd figure out pretty fast that they didn't want you messing with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts