+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sweatshops, do you care?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Sweatshops, do you care?

call me uninformed but why care for something i know nothing about?
    yeah it sounds bad but len has a point and i agree with it ,but that's just because i don't know much except from what i read on the papers
    or here in this thread,

i don't look at the tags when i bye things i just bye what i find
    that i like be it shoes or a shirt tags don't mean anything to me,
    kids working manually sounds bad but if its for family go for it
    i would do the same if i had to no prob. i wouldn't want some
    other country taking food out of my mouth .

like i said you can call me uniformed but i say what worry about it?
    everyone gets something in the end.

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks

I have to thank Chubz for seeing my point of view. I never said anything about banning sweatshops. But we as the consumer have the power to not patronize these companies until they make a change, and being the money grubbers they are, they will make a change to bring in the cash. There is no other country as materialistic as the U.S. Nike isnt going to say "well I guess Americans dont want sweatshops, so we'll take our business elsewhere". We are not doing third world countries a favor by making sure they make their $2 a day.

In refering to Holders comments about being uninformed; You cant say your uninformed because Ive just informed you. We live in a country where this information is readily available on the internet so I have to say that you are being blissfully ignorant. I strongly recomend you take a trip to a dominica republic resort and walk less than a mile from your hotel and see what everyone gets in the end.

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Seeming as America cannot work without outsourced labor outside of the country, I'm full force for sweatshops! Even though most countries get maybe 200 dollars a year wage, sweatshops might pay a little more than that! (instead of recycling cans in Indonesia)
    Where do you think the clothes your wearing comes from? Florida?--no. And there are currently 99.9% of shoe companies outside of the US making your shoes! So unless you custom made your size 15's, I think that some poor underpaid worker made those pair of adidas for you.

In all means, if the number of unpaid workers goes down, our cost of living will go up, and then our quality of life will also go down since its connected to wealth happiness here in the US. Would you like to pay 200 dollars for a "now" 20 target shoe? You could if we paid all the workers 15 dollars an hour...

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Youth-anime-fan View Post
    Seeming as America cannot work without outsourced labor outside of the country, I'm full force for sweatshops! Even though most countries get maybe 200 dollars a year wage, sweatshops might pay a little more than that! (instead of recycling cans in Indonesia)
    Where do you think the clothes your wearing comes from? Florida?--no. And there are currently 99.9% of shoe companies outside of the US making your shoes! So unless you custom made your size 15's, I think that some poor underpaid worker made those pair of adidas for you.

In all means, if the number of unpaid workers goes down, our cost of living will go up, and then our quality of life will also go down since its connected to wealth happiness here in the US. Would you like to pay 200 dollars for a "now" 20 target shoe? You could if we paid all the workers 15 dollars an hour...
    Dont shop at target but anyway, Since discovering the conditions these people work in I have stopped buying anything that isnt made, grown or produced in the U.S. with the exception of gas. My standard of living will always be better as long as I know I am not contributing to the evils of the world. Sorry youth anime fan but addidas are not more important to me than humanity.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMorgan View Post
    I recently watched the documentary "The Corporation" and was astonished to learn about how much harm big companies do to people and the environment. Some big names included Nike, Gap, CitiGroup, Victorias secret and of course Walmart. I couldnt believe the unethical and unmoralistic practices used by these companies. The Gap and Nike using sweatshops to make their product and only paying kids under 15 , 8-12cents per garment. It disgusted me that retailers can charge $100 for a pair of Nikes that only cost less than a dollar to make. How can this be legal and why are people letting them get away with it? If you knew exactly which companies used unethical means to create their product such as sweatshops, animal testing, illegal dumping, and pollution would you still patronize them? BE HONEST.
    Keep in mind that child labour, sweatshops, animal testing, illegal dumping, and pollution are simply better ECONOMIC choices for a company to make. I realize, of course, that these things are horrible, unethical, and just short of downright evil, but that's the way most capitalist corporations function. I do my best to buy from small, honest stores, but - on a budget - it's often easier to go to the cheaper megastore. Sad, but true . . .

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it's fair that they do that but also becuase of the conditions many people in sweatshops work in. But even so many of the companies that do use sweatshops charge very little like wal-mart so it's hard to not buy things at places that are so common you would have to go out of your way to avoid these places.
    every rose has a thorn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2