+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Therapy

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Zev View Post
    Well therapists are smart experienced people who can give you good advice and guide you in the right direction to making your life better. They can try to help you process and accept things in your mind. Not everyone has a wise person like Hassun to give them advice, so they choose to get a therapist.
    I do see your point. Although, I suppose it's just that I'm too much of an introverted personality to reach out for advice from people I don't know... I'm sure there are many others who are like me, though. And yes, credit to Hassun.^w^

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it really depends on what type of therapist you're talking about. From your average counsellor to a psychiatrist, they're all similar yet so very different. The term "shrink" usually refers to a psychiatrist, who attempt to diagnose mental illnesses and suggest possible remedies. Arguably there is no remedy for mental illnesses, no medication that'll permanently cure you. Some argue that it's all to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain, while some believe it's to do with external factors such as traumatic experiences. The general conception is that it's a combination of both.

Generally, I believe that if there's something bothering you, and you'd like to speak to someone about it, a friend is just as good as a counsellor. Besides which, counselling is offered free of charge in many professions that may involve high stress levels, such as the police force or the army. If anything, they're just people you can turn to when you want to get something off your chest. However, if it's more than just wanting to speak to someone, if you genuinely feel that you might have a mental illness, for example, schizophrenia (uncommon though probably the most feared of all mental illnesses) then I believe you need to see a psychiatrist. The severity of the problem dictates who you need to see, and how much help you're going to need.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Still I will miss having free access to psychological help whenever I need it. It was a benefit that came in handy more than once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Still I will miss having free access to psychological help whenever I need it. It was a benefit that came in handy more than once.
    If it's free, I don't really mind it. But if you think about it, it wouldnt exactly help with the stress factor if you had to pay for help, would it?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabishii For This Useful Post:

!beast (Aug 15, 2009)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    If it's free, I don't really mind it. But if you think about it, it wouldnt exactly help with the stress factor if you had to pay for help, would it?
    No it would not, but trust me we are paying for it. There were six suicides on one military base alone this year. The poliitcians are asking so much of us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    No it would not, but trust me we are paying for it. There were six suicides on one military base alone this year. The poliitcians are asking so much of us.
    It's never the politicians...The politicians merely repeat what the majority of their voters want to hear. It's just the people who don't understand what's actually going on behind the scenes that are making things hard for everyone. (aka the average citizen)

Otaku Tula is off to a good start Tula's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    I know this is a rather vague topic, but I'm interested in seeing other people's views on it. My first question- is do you think it really works? Every one has their own way of looking at things, and I don't really think that any therapist can just *snap* change your point of view on things. Do therapists actually have their way of changing the way you think, or is it purely psychosomatic on the ill person's part? As they say, hope is the medicine for all sicknesses.
    Psychotherapists, Psychiatrists, psychologists and some counselors don't have magic powers and just magically know what medicine you need and how many sessions you need to take before you are fine.
    In fact I know that the greater majority of them are quacks. That whole 50 minute hour. Who the heck are they trying to fool? Certainly not the autistic sevants that shame Newton's math skills.

On a more serious note. . . I think some therapists are actually good at what they do and that some patients do find it helpful . . . .
    And then there are quack therapists and there are untreatable people.
    So I guess it's kinda like you pick your poison situation.

Usually in this profession there are certain protocols, procedures and prior knowledge that is used to determine what's wrong with a person (if there is something wrong with a person) and treatment is administered in such a way that for the cost of their treatment they may as well as just off themselves and foot the funeral bill. No joke intended. And this was before Obama's push for health care reform.
    In addition to this you are almost always going to have side effects from any treatment recieved that would make a patient a little testy and probably biased towards any other health care professional or facility. (Any anti depressant that leads to erectile dysfunction would probably piss a lot of 20 something males. On the other extreme end of the spectrum you'll find those people that received electric shock therapy and. . . well if they do remember the treatments, they're probably contemplating the death of whoever administered it.)

So I guess this means I believe the majority of these health care professionals are quacks that are really good at getting people to open up and then they follow the protocols that have been drilled into their brains for just about every predicament. . . .

Yes. it is true that there are anti depressants that as a side effect lead to erectile dysfunction. Although I've noticed that the more patented male enhancement drugs being advertised the more 20 somethings there are wandering around suffering with ED. . .
    And electric shock therapy is used to treat suicial thoughts and tendencies.
    If you are squeamish do NOT click the spoiler
     click to show spoiler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tula For This Useful Post:

!beast (Aug 15, 2009)

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tula View Post
    And electric shock therapy is used to treat suicial thoughts and tendencies.
    If you are squeamish do NOT click the spoiler
     click to show spoiler
    A very controversial form of treatment, and one that I'm wholeheartedly against for involuntary patients, unless it's potentially life saving. It was widely used around the 1930s I think, but now it's a lot less common. I'd have to be literally insane to agree to electroconvulsive therapy though, and if I really am insane then I can't be a voluntary patient. I fail to see how, apart from its potential to start the pumping of the heart, electrically shocking yourself is going to help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast