+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Therapy

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Tula View Post
    Psychotherapists, Psychiatrists, psychologists and some counselors don't have magic powers and just magically know what medicine you need and how many sessions you need to take before you are fine.
    In fact I know that the greater majority of them are quacks. That whole 50 minute hour. Who the heck are they trying to fool? Certainly not the autistic sevants that shame Newton's math skills.

On a more serious note. . . I think some therapists are actually good at what they do and that some patients do find it helpful . . . .
    And then there are quack therapists and there are untreatable people.
    So I guess it's kinda like you pick your poison situation.

Usually in this profession there are certain protocols, procedures and prior knowledge that is used to determine what's wrong with a person (if there is something wrong with a person) and treatment is administered in such a way that for the cost of their treatment they may as well as just off themselves and foot the funeral bill. No joke intended. And this was before Obama's push for health care reform.
    In addition to this you are almost always going to have side effects from any treatment recieved that would make a patient a little testy and probably biased towards any other health care professional or facility. (Any anti depressant that leads to erectile dysfunction would probably piss a lot of 20 something males. On the other extreme end of the spectrum you'll find those people that received electric shock therapy and. . . well if they do remember the treatments, they're probably contemplating the death of whoever administered it.)

So I guess this means I believe the majority of these health care professionals are quacks that are really good at getting people to open up and then they follow the protocols that have been drilled into their brains for just about every predicament. . . .

Yes. it is true that there are anti depressants that as a side effect lead to erectile dysfunction. Although I've noticed that the more patented male enhancement drugs being advertised the more 20 somethings there are wandering around suffering with ED. . .
    And electric shock therapy is used to treat suicial thoughts and tendencies.
    If you are squeamish do NOT click the spoiler
     click to show spoiler

ECT is still used- but to be performed legally it needs to have written consent, OR if the person wil not or is incapable of doing so, a judicial proceeding will take place. It is widely used in almost everywhere except for the U.S, the U.K, and other areas that don't have the necessary amount of doctors educated in the ECT field. <_< Many have attempted to proceed with it, thinking that it's simple and all you have to do is electrocute somebody, and many have died.

A very controversial form of treatment, and one that I'm wholeheartedly against for involuntary patients, unless it's potentially life saving. It was widely used around the 1930s I think, but now it's a lot less common. I'd have to be literally insane to agree to electroconvulsive therapy though, and if I really am insane then I can't be a voluntary patient. I fail to see how, apart from its potential to start the pumping of the heart, electrically shocking yourself is going to help.
    It was most widely used in the 1940s, I believe... Well, it began around 1939, specifically. ;O In the early 1930s ECT was too dangerous becuase
    there was no antidote to stop the convulsions at the time, as it happened with insulin. >_<; And of course the obvious part that it scared the Bah-Geezies out of the patients.

And yeah, they shouldn't do it without the consent of a patient- but as I've said up there^ They still do. (Even if their condition isn't life-threatening. There are also loop holes in many states in the laws concerning ECT.)

Otaku Tula is off to a good start Tula's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel View Post
    A very controversial form of treatment, and one that I'm wholeheartedly against for involuntary patients, unless it's potentially life saving. It was widely used around the 1930s I think, but now it's a lot less common. I'd have to be literally insane to agree to electroconvulsive therapy though, and if I really am insane then I can't be a voluntary patient. I fail to see how, apart from its potential to start the pumping of the heart, electrically shocking yourself is going to help.
    For the longest it was used by the US and administered to suicidal teens predominantly. In most cases I think the parents knew or eventually found out. I am not too sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    ECT is still used- but to be performed legally it needs to have written consent, OR if the person wil not or is incapable of doing so, a judicial proceeding will take place. It is widely used in almost everywhere except for the U.S, the U.K, and other areas that don't have the necessary amount of doctors educated in the ECT field. <_< Many have attempted to proceed with it, thinking that it's simple and all you have to do is electrocute somebody, and many have died.
    I don't put anything past the US anymore.

It was most widely used in the 1940s, I believe... Well, it began around 1939, specifically. ;O In the early 1930s ECT was too dangerous becuase
    there was no antidote to stop the convulsions at the time, as it happened with insulin. >_<; And of course the obvious part that it scared the Bah-Geezies out of the patients.

And yeah, they shouldn't do it without the consent of a patient- but as I've said up there^ They still do. (Even if their condition isn't life-threatening. There are also loop holes in many states in the laws concerning ECT.)
    I have no idea what other kind of patients it could have been used for but I do know it was used to treat suicidal thoughts and tendencies.
    In those instances, the patient (no matter the age) was seen as someone that could not make the correct choices for themselves.
    And as vulgar as the method seems, it worked.
    Granted I have no idea if any large percentage of people died. . . but since i know that a large percentage did live t complain or become overly angry about the side effects. . .
    The most severe/common side effect was the lost of childhood memories, no matter how old the patient was. The patient usually did not remember why they were suicidal to begin with and so were no longer suicidal.

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tula View Post
    For the longest it was used by the US and administered to suicidal teens predominantly. In most cases I think the parents knew or eventually found out. I am not too sure.

I have no idea what other kind of patients it could have been used for but I do know it was used to treat suicidal thoughts and tendencies.
    In those instances, the patient (no matter the age) was seen as someone that could not make the correct choices for themselves.
    And as vulgar as the method seems, it worked.
    Granted I have no idea if any large percentage of people died. . . but since i know that a large percentage did live t complain or become overly angry about the side effects. . .
    The most severe/common side effect was the lost of childhood memories, no matter how old the patient was. The patient usually did not remember why they were suicidal to begin with and so were no longer suicidal.
    It was originally intended for depression, yes. And of course the majority of depressed patients were teenagers, and female. The amount that died; it wasn't a large percentage... roughly four percent in most cases I believe. Although that's still a lot of people. And in those days anyone with a mental illness was seen as unfit to make decisions. >_<" *Anger*

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Well first of all "Therapy" is a word that covers a lot of different areas. Even in psychiatry there are all different types of therapy. Theres DBT, CBT, Neuro-feedback therapy, ect.

And, a if your are just seeing a psychologist... you're still can't be 100% what you're in for. As every psychologist will have a different approach. I have seem many therapists. I've had some that were rude, and cold. They made me feel uncomfortable. I have had some be all buddy buddy with me, and it ended up feeling likea hang out session. That's no good for me. I need someone to be a little more blatant than that. I need someone who's gonna tell me what I don't want to hear... Basically because the things you don't want to see about yourself are the things that will slow you down and screw you up the most.

So obviously finding the RIGHT therapist is important. And then you have to remember that its not a therapist job to change something in your mind for you. You are the only person who can do that. It is their job to help you recognize what needs changing. And give you suggestions on how to make those changes... They can do this by getting to know your personality type, and what will work best for you. But even with the greatest effort of a therepist. The work must be done by the individual seeking help. Basically, therapy helps those who help themselves.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

The only good therapy is physical therapy, that actually gets something accomplished like repairing damaged muscles and broken bones. With therapists that deal in psychology the're not concerned with your feelings, have you ever noticed a therapist that looks interested in what you're talking about? As I said, it's all about that fat check they receive after each session. If anything they are good actors and that's it. You know they go home each day contemplating whether or not they should put that noose around their neck. They need therapy, of course these are all theories. My main point is I don't see what therapy can accomplish besides increase your debt.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

My main point is I don't see what therapy can accomplish besides increase your debt.
    Good thing I have health insurance

Have you ever encountered someone who is stuck on a problem? Like have you helped someone with their homework, or to solve a puzzle? It strange how... sometimes a person can get wrapped up in a problem they having. If they have been working at this puzzle or at this problem for a while... it gets to a point where the problem is all they can see. A fresh pair of eyes come along... and the answer is obvious. Well life can be that way. Sometimes its not as easy for a person to see the solutions to their own problem. Especially if there's a crisis. sometimes its difficult to grasp what the next move should be if you're in the midst of chaos. Sometimes other people can see things about you that you can not/ or don't want to see. Therapists are paid to be that fresh pair of eyes. Or that person who is pointing where you need the most help. they don't all do a good job. But some do.
    ... Not Ever Again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3