+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat of Global AIDS Epidemic Is Over

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Threat of Global AIDS Epidemic Is Over

World Health Organization Admits Threat of Global AIDS Epidemic Is Over
    The head of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS department has officially admitted for the first time that there will be no global epidemic of the disease among the heterosexual population outside Africa, The Independent reported.

Kevin de Cock said global prevention strategies to address AIDS as a risk to all populations, among the WHO and major AIDS organizations, may have been misdirected. It is now recognized that, with the exception of sub-Saharan African, it is confined to high-risk groups.

These groups include men who have sex with other men, drug users who inject with needles, and sex workers and their clients, The Independent reported.

I know someone was asking about this last winter so I thought I would pass it on. I am not sure you can really debate the subject but it is certainly worth discussion.

Personally I find the admission ironic after the, possibly successful, pr campaign to convince everyone that AIDs was actually a heterosexual issue yet the risk group appears to be rather narrow in reality.

The Independent: Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over
    One of the danger areas for the Aids strategy was among men who had sex with men. He said: " We face a bit of a crisis [in this area]. In the industrialised world transmission of HIV among men who have sex with men is not declining and in some places has increased.

"In the developing world, it has been neglected. We have only recently started looking for it and when we look, we find it. And when we examine HIV rates we find they are high.

"It is astonishing how badly we have done with men who have sex with men. It is something that is going to have to be discussed much more rigorously."
    So basically don't engage in male homosexual behavior, have sex with prostitutes (or be one), or use drugs (needles) and you are pretty much safe... unless you live in sub-Saharan Africa where, evidently, cultural sexual activities spread the pool around to just about anyone.

The funniest part of all this is that circumcision is listed as lowering a males risk of getting infected by 60% yet there is an ongoing campaign to stop circumcision for being cruel to babies.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Threat of Global AIDS Epidemic Is Over

Makes sense...I just hope people don't take these statements to mean that heterosexuals are not at all at risk of contracting HIV and developing AIDS. The fact still remains that you can put yourself at even a slight risk by having unprotected sex with someone who has/had multiple partners currently or in the recent past (especially when you don't know their sexual history), or is an intravenous drug user who shares needles. To me, even a slight risk is too much not to be careful.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are going to talk about "slight" risk then your only guarantee is abstinence since every contraceptive I have seen contains little warnings about sexual diseases and how it only "lowers the risk" if used properly (if at all).

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I wasn't even aware that there was an AIDS pandemic in the first place. Not to mention a heterosexual one.

Epidemic threat or not, the threat of AIDS will only be over when we eradicate it from existence with a way to cure it or vaccinate against it.

In my experience, the amount of positive news about the disease has made people more lax in the precaution department as of late. I just hope we can all realise that it's still a fatal, incurable disease.

+ Reply to Thread