Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.14%
  • No

26 92.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

Hello fellow posters! All right, we all know that on cigarette boxes that it says that it can cause cancer and many other harmful diseases. My question is do you think that these labels have any effect? Does it really help the situation or do most smokers just ignore it?

Honestly, I don’t think it is effective on smokers very much. I think most smokers think that it won’t happen to them and it couldn’t happen in a million years. I think it is effective a little with the younger generation but not much on the smokers themselves. Let’s face it, usually warnings are never enough. Most people learn things the hard way so I am not so sure if labels really are that effective. I think when it comes to things like that I think it really comes to family influence and how much the person cares about taking care of themselves.

Otaku TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

They are NOT effective. Like the only way to scare people is to show them real lungs right in their face and let them see the damage smoking has done to the lungs.

It'll scare the crap out of them to smoke

...Impulsive...

Newbie sdds may be famous one day sdds may be famous one day sdds's Avatar
    Thanks

As an Ex-smoker I can tell you that we know whats going to happen, we just don't care. I know I didn't...

My Question is that if Cig packs have to have that warning, why doesn't Alcohol have warning labels about the increased risk of liver Disease. If Tabacco companies can't have TV ads period, why can beer companies have cute frogs advertising their product. Why is it that here we have a 100% tabacco tax and barley any alcohol tax.

I think there is huge hypocrisy in the way the two are treated, and they are both just as dangerous. and if you think about it drinking is far more dangerous than smoking.

Sorry to deviate from the subject...its just something that has always bothered me.
    My DVD Collection: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=tcannon

PLease Visit Cinema Paradise if you like movies

Otaku twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel
    Hello fellow posters! All right, we all know that on cigarette boxes that it says that it can cause cancer and many other harmful diseases. My question is do you think that these labels have any effect? Does it really help the situation or do most smokers just ignore it?

Honestly, I don’t think it is effective on smokers very much. I think most smokers think that it won’t happen to them and it couldn’t happen in a million years. I think it is effective a little with the younger generation but not much on the smokers themselves. Let’s face it, usually warnings are never enough. Most people learn things the hard way so I am not so sure if labels really are that effective. I think when it comes to things like that I think it really comes to family influence and how much the person cares about taking care of themselves.
    No there not...And even if you show them what will happen it wouldn't do much unless they had the problem themselves...I also find it odd that tobacco is still legal even though its killed alot of people(3 every minute?) and gives disease....

I'm ♥mazing!

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

They are there because of political correctness, its just like how today you find the trans fat labels on food cans, somewhere along the line, the public must be told what happens to them, most smokers know whats going to happen, there is so much research, so many ads, and so much information about the harmful effects of smoking that these labels are just labels, it makes no difference because the information is consistently out there, its just a matter of time before smokers start seeing the effects of there habit.

Actually alcohol does have warning labels but not for disease, this is because, in comparision to smoking, you need to drink at a crap ton everyday of your life in order to get liver disease, while with smoking, even short term use increases your risk of lung cancer by more than 40 percent.

Actually, smoking is more dangerous than alcohol can ever be, though alcohol can kill you in the short run if you drink too much, studies have shown that moderate use of alcohol is good for the body and moderate use of alcohol doesn't have that much of an effect on your liver, you liver is very resiliant, however smoking is far more dangerous, simply becuase at least with alcohol you are only taking in alcohol. Alcohol doesn't have all those toxic substances and chemicals that cause cancer, failure, death, hell everytime you inhale cirgarete smoke, you inhale over a couple hundred toxic substances, including chemical agents that are very dangerous to your body. Alcohol is far far far less dangerous than smoking

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk's Avatar
    I live in South Africa and i was born in Pretoria.
    Thanks

NONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing help ppl in this world today ,yesterday and tommorrow is too stuburn to see the benefits and the health problem that occur from doing certain things.
    Looking at Heart attack where is the lables on Coke or pepsi or sweets and fatty foods that thoose item that help u get so fat that the arteries clog up and u might have a stroke or heart attack.hahahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! No warning what so ever.
    Anybody who thinks that warnings work must be mad......
    Look at the driving and the accidents and the drunk drivers and the whatever is bad and can cause decease or death.ppl just dont care they are just thinking as long as for that moment that they are busy doing what they are doing that they are having fun or maybe enjoy this or that they dont care about labels.
    U know if u look when aids started happening to ppl their was a big campaign on advertisement don't sleep around protect yourself with condoms and this and that and where did it end up if u look today how many aids victims we have today.
    What did all the warning help all the free condoms all the B...S... on the Subject of Aids but do u think it helped alot or just abit.

LOL..

PS..
    Why don't they take all the money that they use to warn ppl of things like that and feed the hungry the poor and the countries that cannot help themselfs. By doing sometyhing good realy depends how long it takes for u have results.I mean if u spend all the money they invested and wasted on the Aids campaign devide it in half and use one half to feed the poor in the world the world will be so much a better place hehehehe no logic..
    Last edited by Spymonk; May 04, 2006 at 12:07 AM.

Newbie Leatoon may be famous one day Leatoon may be famous one day Leatoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

You know I smoked for 6 years about a pack of 20 a day..... Bad I know.... Today I am clean... There was even Cigarettes called "DEATH" (bLACK BOX AND HAD A SCULL SIGN ON IT) I went to try it just because it looked dangerous.... The problem is that the humen brain does not process the word NO as what it meaning is. Say don't thing of the coulour RED and what are you thinking of. The box says DON'T and we see BUY ME please....

Just my view....
    Don't try and avoid temptation, as you get older it will avoid you....

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Once you are addicted to it, nothing can't stop you from smoking. The labels that they put on cigarrettes is mandatory by law, so even if they don't want to waste money on warning labels they have to otherwise they'll have to pay a fine to the state.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast