Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.14%
  • No

26 92.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are Tobacco Warning Labels Effective?

lol well i guess i'll go ahead and say what i have to say. my dad's been smoking for over 20 years now and has tried to quit 13 times if i remember correctly. he wasn't aware of the dangers of smoking when he just started, but when he became addicted to it, it was too late to stop.

it really pains me, having to see him go through the internal conflict of trying to quit, but failing over and over again. many will say that he hasn't got enough determination, but i know my dad better than my mum does. he's tried, he really has, but he just can't stop now, as if it's too late...

the labels on the cigarette packagings "are" effective to those who honestly want to quit, but just can't. and they're also effective to those who have loved ones who smoke as well. i know that i, for one, find the labels effective.
    Last edited by mystical shadow angel; May 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

Newbie Archy may be famous one day Archy may be famous one day Archy's Avatar
    Thanks

my both parents smoke
    i know that my dad smokes from the age of 15 i don't know about my mom i gues s she started after she gave birth to me

but anyways till a few years ago my parents kept smoking in the house and i asked them to go outside and burn their lounghs away

and the warnings nope
    i see 8-9 year olds that smoke and go like *it is my life* they can't even read and they talk about life Oo
    I never know just why you run so far away...far away from me

Otaku TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid's Avatar
    Thanks

Out of curiousity, is smoking being banned in the states, just like in Canada?

...Impulsive...

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah, american taking the time to read whats in the things they put in there mouths, haha. Thats like pulling up to a burger king and asking "does this food make you fat and whats the fat content of it" it just never happens.
    so no the labels are ignored.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Thanks

They have no effectiviness of any kind, if ya really start to smoke you'll
    do that regardless of that small text in label.
    I'm personaly kinda good example about that.

Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

They nvr have any effect at all. I mean it's the person's choice to smoke. It's only shock tactics tht will work. Advertising showing the ugly and dark side of smoking will work.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Newbie Hellion may be famous one day Hellion may be famous one day Hellion's Avatar
    Thanks

Whether its effective or not isn't really the case anymore at this day of age. The effects of tobacco is known to the majority of the population. Here in US, schools teach the kids of its harmful effects and such. Also there are many commercials on TV that make people aware of the effects of smoking (Truth commercials). These TV commercials are greatly funded by tobacco industries.
    So do I think the warning labels on ciggarettes are effective?
    No, people who smoke know what they're getting into now. It's not a matter of not being aware or not anymore its more of people's actions and choices. And you can't really do anything else regarding the labels. The tobacco industries follow the government guidelines regarding that matter so its perfectly legal.
    Look ye into the darkness and you shall find me there... a me you have never known..

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I think the labels are plenty effective. People know what cancer is, they know that it can, and most likely will, kill you. They have seen pictures of what cancerous lungs look like and maybe have even had someone in their family that has had cancer caused by smoking or has died from it. But despite the effectiveness of the labels, and what tabbaco buisness's count on, is that the nicotene is more effective at getting people addicted than anything anti-tabbaco can do to make them stop willingly. It's just like cocaine, most people know what it can do, they have seen pictures of people who do it and know the punishment of being caught with it but yet they still do it. Why? Becuase the addictiveness out weighs the consequences.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; May 10, 2006 at 03:51 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast