+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Txt speech in class?

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Txt speech in class?

Txt speak approved for exams - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

The article is generally about how a committee in New Zealand has come to the conclusion that "text speech", or internet shorthand, will be accepted on papers as long as the student demonstrates the proper understanding?

Thoughts? Comments?

Personally, I find this to be an affront to the English language. I may not always spell everything perfectly, and occasionally a comma of mine might be off, but I try to communicate as clearly as possible. It doesn't take that much more time to type out ALL of your words, and you don't sound like you are twelve years old.

Before this speech was allowed, low level English classes stateside, at least, would already communicate in text speech, despite their teacher's requests. Now, if more things like this pass, we're going to see an entire generation that doesn't know how to communicate intelligeably with their writing.

The sad thing is that I know there are fledgling writers in those groups. I know this because I've read crappy fanfiction:

"So liek Naruto and Sasuke r totaly n skool 'n dey make-out! LOL <3"

What does everyone else think of this decision in schools?
    Last edited by OdysseanPromise; Feb 01, 2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typos

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Txt speech in class?

Wow this is a low day for New Zealand. All it will do is keep these students that are having trouble writing, unable to write properly. Why care to find how to write it properly when you can shorthand it.

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Wow this is a low day for New Zealand. All it will do is keep these students that are having trouble writing, unable to write properly. Why care to find how to write it properly when you can shorthand it.
    Well, what do you expect from a continent that started as a penal colony? : P

Just kidding to all of our Australian members. : P

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

im not sure exactly but they do their work on the internet and submit it like that? is taht how it goes or just give in random website URLs that they used? confused a bit

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OdysseanPromise View Post
    Well, what do you expect from a continent that started as a penal colony? : P

Just kidding to all of our Australian members. : P
    Oi! lol, but good point XD

Well I don't think this is to good and I think that those students who do use it, will most likely end up failing anyway, they said that the NZQA will discourage it and that those who show 'some understanding' will get credit for it, that's not always a pass.

Plus they wouldn't get far in life writing like that, so eventually the day will come when they will just have to write normally. You won't get hired for a job if you can even write properly. Or if they decide to go to uni, how do they think they can pass?

Hell Enforcer George Wants Beer Champion, Monkey Cliff Diving Champion, Tilt 2 Champion hellknight may be famous one day hellknight may be famous one day hellknight's Avatar
    Thanks

I just mostly look at the web site instead of the text book, because if you read the book then you'll take hours to found out one simple question, I just use the website instead of the book.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll make one point. Let us all keep in mind, that language HAS changed and DOES change. I'm sure that Shakespeare would have thought that the English language today is preposterous. Could we actually be actively participating and living in an age where we can witness another change in the English language? It is a cool though. I mean, we all know about Old English and Shakespearean English, now we can actually live the change. And maybe 20 years from now this English we speak now will be archaic and obsolete.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    I'll make one point. Let us all keep in mind, that language HAS changed and DOES change. I'm sure that Shakespeare would have thought that the English language today is preposterous. Could we actually be actively participating and living in an age where we can witness another change in the English language? It is a cool though. I mean, we all know about Old English and Shakespearean English, now we can actually live the change. And maybe 20 years from now this English we speak now will be archaic and obsolete.
    I thought about that, really, I did, but I just can't see that being the case.

Read a book from the twenties and you will see that we use mostly the same words, but we use them differently, or spell them slightly different. This is true of every couple of generations. Words come into and out of popularity. THAT is evolution in language.

Spelling has been changed over decades or centuries, but words have never been simplified to one letter (edit: with the obvious exception of the word "I", before one of you people jumps on that, but that can be tied to a cultural de-emphasis on the self, and is a result of cultural out growth rather than being too lazy to type three or four letters)

As an English major, and I would like to think one with very little linguistic arrogance to my name, that I would rather die than live in a world inhabited by people who sound like illiterate twelve year olds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast