+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Txt speech in class?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Txt speech in class?

Actually, Mark Twain was all for shorting the English language. He proposed that language often muddles up basic feelings that everyone has. Also, that people were focusing too much on spelling word usuage than proper expression of feelins.

I do agree with that to some extent, however, i don't really think most people can use that shorthand in the way that committee wants...

in fact, most people are just dumb... and they'll make excuses that "becuz he b bad lol g2g!!!1" somehow explains the actions of Jack the Ripper. i think that type of script is best suited for philosophy... cuz you can say anything and people will think you're brilliant.

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    Actually, Mark Twain was all for shorting the English language. He proposed that language often muddles up basic feelings that everyone has. Also, that people were focusing too much on spelling word usuage than proper expression of feelins.

I do agree with that to some extent, however, i don't really think most people can use that shorthand in the way that committee wants...

in fact, most people are just dumb... and they'll make excuses that "becuz he b bad lol g2g!!!1" somehow explains the actions of Jack the Ripper. i think that type of script is best suited for philosophy... cuz you can say anything and people will think you're brilliant.
    You raise an interesting point. I do agree with Mr.Twain as that language gets in the way of feelings, but in a lot of ways, it is the cultural boundaries that determine how friendly or open a society is, and the language is only part of that.

Take the Romance languages, for example. Most of which are generally the same language, in general word order and rough construction of words, but different languages have different norms for the different cultures. Italians have much different cultural values than the British do. Neither one is intrinsically better, and that is not the avenue of discussion, but English and Italian are two entirely different languages. Italian is a language of beauty, love, and royalty. English is a language of business, taking influence and being bastardized over the years to for it.

I think it is perhaps a bit much to say that words always obscure feelings, as poetry is the means of communicating feelings through words, and that would be impossible without an extensive vocabulary. Look at Orwell's "1984" and its proposed "Newspeak". Poetry and emotion are impossible in such a system where an abstractions such as love would be impossible to convey, and could only be described by such terms as "being double-plus-good" at best.

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

I see that language changes over time, but when one hears the words of those who have gone before us, doesn't it want you to wish we still spoke that way? The words of Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and many other people are so amazing. The writing style of John Hancock also symbolizes the wonderful gift of writing that we have received from our ancestors.
    So why not try to maintain that air of "superiority" and culture that we are so trying hard to find nowadays? Shouldn't we be trying to maintain some sort of cultural significance and ties to our past? Sure, language changes and styles of writing do too, but when should it be considered "proper language"? If I was a teacher, and some dude handed a paper into me with half of it written in "leet speak" I wouldn't even be able to understand it. Even with the text messaging shorthand, Is it possible for professors to understand every little thing? Is there a dictionary out there with such variances? Even if there was, do professors really have the time to look up all the words just to grade some 18 year old's paper?

I am against such actions against written society. But that is my personal opinion.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I'll be damned. "LOL" has become an official part of the English language.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ i'm not saying that language prohibts emotion or anything like that! i am a big fan of poetry and understand how vividly it can express emotion. However, i do not agree with is when the words become more important feeling. Such as, when music or books or poetry is given high honors if it sounds pretty, but when in actuality it displays little understanding of the heart or a bratty point of view.

however, what i have noticed (siting 1984) is that if you restrict language too much, it begin to restirct emotion. if one can't express something, how do they know they really have it. each word means something specific, the less words the less specific you can be.

in other words, less is good, more is good; but restircted is good for no one.

(hmm... not sure if that makes sense)

Newbie worldpeace2529 is off to a good start worldpeace2529's Avatar
    Thanks

it's alright if people type lyke dis cuz lyke now ppl understand dis lang and it doesn't matter as long as pplz get it

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worldpeace2529 View Post
    it's alright if people type lyke dis cuz lyke now ppl understand dis lang and it doesn't matter as long as pplz get it

On the other hand, typing like that makes it look like you have the intelligence of a retarded cactus. And writing like that on something as important as a resume is a great way to stay unemployed.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post
    On the other hand, typing like that makes it look like you have the intelligence of a retarded cactus. And writing like that on something as important as a resume is a great way to stay unemployed.
    capital point!.,

typically i dont look to high on people who do type like that, as for looking like a total 'cactus'. that posters example above just made me think "well i wont be reading his posts again".

this whole commitee getting txt as a valid form of litrature is just a prime example of people just being total lazy asses and as far "mudding up the feelings", i mean thats where you have to excel in your vocabulary to make the reader feel something, if you couldnt do that, then you should not be allowed to write and act like you know what you are saying.*kicks mark twain*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast