+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

Otaku moonlight_child may be famous one day moonlight_child may be famous one day moonlight_child's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

"Because of the slum housing conditions; the highest unemployment rate in the whole of this country; police brutality against our elders, women, and children; Native Warriors came together from the streets, prisons, jails and the urban ghettos of Minneapolis to form the American Indian Movement. They were tired of begging for welfare, tired of being scapegoats in America and decided to start building on the strengths of our own people; decided to build our own schools; our own job training programs; and our own destiny. That was our motivation to begin. That beginning is now being called 'the Era of Indian Power'." (Dennis Banks, 1992)
    During the Summer of 1968, two hundred members of the Indian community came together to discuss various issues and critical developments within the Native American community. Amongst them were --
    1. Police Brutality
    2. Slum Housing
    3. 80% unemployment rate
    4. Disgraceful if not shameful practices of the Minneapolis public school system and its lack of concern regarding Indian education.
    5. Racist and discriminatory policies of the Hennepin County welfare system toward Native American clients.
    6. Questionable behavior of federal government in its regard to Native policies.
    From this meeting came the birth of the American Indian Movement (AIM). Calling the meeting were long time community activists George Mitchell, Dennis Banks, Clyde Bellecourt. Attending were some of Minneapolis's most active Native people: Mary Jane Wilson, Francis Fairbanks, Harold Goodsky, Melissa Tapio, Pearl Brandon, Darcy Truax, Charlie Deegan, George Millessay, Caroline Dickenson, Joanne Strong, Polly Chabwa, Arlene Dakota, Peggy Bellecourt, Ellie Banks, Bobby Jo Graves, John Red House, Audrey Banks, Alberta Atkin, Jeanette Banks. . .among others.
    In addition to these issues, the Movement saw the need to protect treaty rights and preserve traditional Native Spirituality and culture. (Mandated boarding schools for Native children which took them away from their families and communities, forced relocation programs, and other government methods of "assimilation" had attempted to destroy Native culture and beliefs.) It also stressed the sovereignty of Native Nations.
    As for more of the issues that were brought up, such as gaming, taxation, welfare, economic development, education, state-tribal relations, ect. This is the site to go to. This is what we're working on. This is what we're fighting.

The State of Indian Nations Today
    Love is like a gust of wind; it blows and then goes away...
    Without you, my soul goes out of control on the brink of danger...
    My world is already in a violent storm

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_child View Post
    "Because of the slum housing conditions; the highest unemployment rate in the whole of this country; police brutality against our elders, women, and children; Native Warriors came together from the streets, prisons, jails and the urban ghettos of Minneapolis to form the American Indian Movement. They were tired of begging for welfare, tired of being scapegoats in America and decided to start building on the strengths of our own people; decided to build our own schools; our own job training programs; and our own destiny. That was our motivation to begin. That beginning is now being called 'the Era of Indian Power'." (Dennis Banks, 1992)
    During the Summer of 1968, two hundred members of the Indian community came together to discuss various issues and critical developments within the Native American community. Amongst them were --
    1. Police Brutality
    2. Slum Housing
    3. 80% unemployment rate
    4. Disgraceful if not shameful practices of the Minneapolis public school system and its lack of concern regarding Indian education.
    5. Racist and discriminatory policies of the Hennepin County welfare system toward Native American clients.
    6. Questionable behavior of federal government in its regard to Native policies.
    From this meeting came the birth of the American Indian Movement (AIM). Calling the meeting were long time community activists George Mitchell, Dennis Banks, Clyde Bellecourt. Attending were some of Minneapolis's most active Native people: Mary Jane Wilson, Francis Fairbanks, Harold Goodsky, Melissa Tapio, Pearl Brandon, Darcy Truax, Charlie Deegan, George Millessay, Caroline Dickenson, Joanne Strong, Polly Chabwa, Arlene Dakota, Peggy Bellecourt, Ellie Banks, Bobby Jo Graves, John Red House, Audrey Banks, Alberta Atkin, Jeanette Banks. . .among others.
    In addition to these issues, the Movement saw the need to protect treaty rights and preserve traditional Native Spirituality and culture. (Mandated boarding schools for Native children which took them away from their families and communities, forced relocation programs, and other government methods of "assimilation" had attempted to destroy Native culture and beliefs.) It also stressed the sovereignty of Native Nations.
    As for more of the issues that were brought up, such as gaming, taxation, welfare, economic development, education, state-tribal relations, ect. This is the site to go to. This is what we're working on. This is what we're fighting.

Are you FROM Minneapolis???

If so, you'd know that there are several schools within the city alone that focus on Native American Indians and thier education, culture and rights. There are also vocational schools (AIOIC) and other various programs within the city of MPLS to help Natives move toward having a better life or rebuilding what was lost within thier culture. Unless you're living in the 60's Minneapolis--hell, the state of MN--is the sh*t when it comes to Native Americans and thier status/rights.

I'll give you the brutality thing though. It's only been a couple of years since I've heard of the last brutality incident and that was when a couple of cops thought it was okay to beat a drunken Native man and then literally piss all over him.

Otaku moonlight_child may be famous one day moonlight_child may be famous one day moonlight_child's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Are you FROM Minneapolis???

If so, you'd know that there are several schools within the city alone that focus on Native American Indians and thier education, culture and rights. There are also vocational schools (AIOIC) and other various programs within the city of MPLS to help Natives move toward having a better life or rebuilding what was lost within thier culture. Unless you're living in the 60's Minneapolis--hell, the state of MN--is the sh*t when it comes to Native Americans and thier status/rights.

I'll give you the brutality thing though. It's only been a couple of years since I've heard of the last brutality incident and that was when a couple of cops thought it was okay to beat a drunken Native man and then literally piss all over him.
    I'm sorry but that little quote was from Dennis Banks about how Minneapolis use to be during the 1970s and before. And yes you are right Minneapolis has improved, but the violence rate on the reservations and even in some states are still out of control. But the Native American population isn't the only one with high violence rates. Many other races have high violence rates as well.
    Love is like a gust of wind; it blows and then goes away...
    Without you, my soul goes out of control on the brink of danger...
    My world is already in a violent storm

Newbie Rottweiler is off to a good start
    Thanks

Cool Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_child View Post
    1. Police Brutality
    2. Slum Housing
    3. 80% unemployment rate

Native people in Canada are also struggling against these same issues. I am a Dine'h who believes that one of the strongest solutions is the achievement of indigenous sovereignty; to rid ourselves of the created dependency that has arisen as a result of Native reliance on government funding. This will not be easy since most Aboriginals have become totally dependent on government support. Here in Canada we have status cards to "prove" we are Indian (the legal term for Native or Aboriginal). Why would anybody want their oppressors; in this case the remnants of the original colonizers, to determine their identity? Because my descent was originally from the USA, I cannot get a status card, even if I wanted one but I can and do have a M├ętis card for personal reasons.

I joined this thread "Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation" because I believe that Native people in North America (can't speak for Central or South America) are victims of genocide. A few years ago, the last Beothuk woman died, taking with her the language, tratidion, history, etc. of the Beothuk tribe. This has happened many times before and is still happening. Among the Innu, of the east coast, children as young as the age of six, are trying to commit suicide and often succeeding. This phenonomen is happening all over Canada. Why? One reason is the lack of hope which results from Native dependency on a racist government. How can we stop the "genociding" and suicide epidemic? There are some ideas but time prevents me from mentioning them and I do not pretend to have answers, mostly questions. However, I believe we should do things "in mino biimajiwin" - in a good way; a way harmonious with the teachings of the medicine wheel and and knowledge and wisdom of our elders, healers and teachers. Megwich.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

So we're back to the issue at hand:

YOUR NATIONS are DEPENDANT on "our" EVIL, RACIST government.

Seems that there isn't anything that we evil, racist, colonists (who incidentally now, more or less, all have blood of immigrants who were treated just as poorly by the American government of their time) can do for you.

You seem to hate us, think we're out to get you... and yet blame us for not giving you enough funding, support or favortism.

Come up with a plan and tell us what we can do to help.

Seems to me that wellfare recipiants jumping up and blaming the wellfare program's existance for their problems is a bit idiotic... especially when the only solution they can seem to offer is "give us more money".

Though honestly, I don't see how MY family (a bunch of Irish and Romanian immigrants) contributed to the "genocide" of your nation any more than my friends currently living in United Kingdom led to the trouble in ours that brought us to this nation in the first place.

If thinking that everything that ever happens to you, your race, your country or the world is someone ELSE'S fault makes you feel better... that's great. Enjoy that.

But it isn't an attitude that's going to fix anything... or endear anyone to you.

No one likes to be accused of something they have no control over and took no part in.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post

Seems that there isn't anything that we evil, racist, colonists (who incidentally now, more or less, all have blood of immigrants who were treated just as poorly by the American government of their time) can do for you.

You seem to hate us, think we're out to get you... and yet blame us for not giving you enough funding, support or favortism.

Seems to me that wellfare recipiants jumping up and blaming the wellfare program's existance for their problems is a bit idiotic... especially when the only solution they can seem to offer is "give us more money".

Though honestly, I don't see how MY family (a bunch of Irish and Romanian immigrants) contributed to the "genocide" of your nation any more than my friends currently living in United Kingdom led to the trouble in ours that brought us to this nation in the first place.

If thinking that everything that ever happens to you, your race, your country or the world is someone ELSE'S fault makes you feel better... that's great. Enjoy that.

But it isn't an attitude that's going to fix anything... or endear anyone to you.

No one likes to be accused of something they have no control over and took no part in.
    I'm sorry, but the welfare comment was just too funny to me.

I agree with tsurara. Times have changed and you are complaining about something that happened ages ago. Yeah, there's still a bit of discrimination lingering in the air, but when hasn't anybody been the victim of discrimination? Even white people face dicrimination! You can point your finger at the government all you want. I could do the same if I chose to do so. Saying things like, "It's your fault we don't have funding," or "It's your fault you put us in this situation," won't change anything.

If you think that you are lacking certain rights, then make a plan of action! Write to congress, go and protest, come up with something that will actually benefit your people. Because pointing your finger and saying, "It's your fault we're in this sucky situation," years... DECADES... Maybe even CENTURIES after the rules had been set is just plain pointless and--in my opinion--just as dumb as a black man saying it's a random white/irish man's fault his ancestors were subject to slavery!

You can say that in the past the men who were key to the settlement of people in America were responsible for the killings of your people, you can even say that it was a bad and horrible thing. But the fact that you're people are dying now isn't their fault. Those guys are dead and our present government didn't do that to you. Your "dependency" on the government did. Strive for independence. Strive for equality. Just don't ask for reperations. Trust me. If my people aren't getting reperations, you're not. LOL.

Newbie Rottweiler is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post

Bozhoo tsurara

Thank you for your comments.

First, I did not refer to the government as "EVIL".

Second, the term "colonizers" refers primarily to the English, French and Spanish who were the first to colonize North America. I do not believe that Romanians, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, etc. were part of the problem when Europeans first came to North America which is something I usually say but unfortunately in this posting, I did not.

Third, your paragraph referring to, "wellfare recipiants jumping up and blaming the wellfare program's existance for their problems is a bit idiotic" (is that how you spell "welfare" or am I just being "idiotic"?) is problematic. Welfare or total dependence on the government just leads to generations of Native dependence on government handouts rather than encouraging us to be self-sustaining. You can find more of this in the Royal Commission of Aboriginal Peoples (1995). It is possible that you might even find that our "only solution" is not to demand more money from social services or Indian Affairs.

I cannot do anything about your assumption that I "hate" you but do not believe I ever used the word "hate" in my posting. Furthermore, I did not ask for funding, support or favortism. In fact, I stated that I believe we need indigenous sovereighnty (sp?) rather than more government assistance. I regret that you think I or other Native people are "blaming" you since the whole concept of blame is counterproductive. How can someone in 2008 be blamed for events that occurred centuries ago. At the most, I would hope that some non-Natives would acknowledge what happened to Native people in the past and is happening at the present time and, if they are so inclined, become involved in assisting us in some way. I cannot be more specific as to what that way might be since for every Aboriginal person you are going to find different needs and wants. I cannot, will not, speak for every Native person.

Fourth, I do not believe that I said that, "everything that ever happens to you, your race, your country or the world is someone ELSE'S fault". Ironic, choice of words - "your country" - is it my country or has it been appropriated, stolen much like your own, if you are of Romanian descent.

Finally, I am not here to endear myself to anyone and am well aware that it will take more than a posting to change anything. It will likely take generations of dialogue between Natives and non-Natives; honoring or changing existing treaties; re-writing blatantly racist laws that pertain to Aboriginals (The Indian Act or An Act to Amend the Indian Act); thinking and making decisions that will have a beneficial effect for everyone seven generations into the future and to achieve these things, as I already said, in mino biimajiwin - in a good way.

You seem to have a distorted perception of what I wrote and it is equally possible that what I wrote was unclear. In any case, it is not possible to just "tell you what we want". Maybe a closer look at what is going on with the Inuit in Nunavit would help although I sense you would rather "score points" than engage in any discussion, debate or argument.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

My comments are in response to the entire thread, not just your post. And my comments were directed at EVERYONE, not just you, not just moonlight, and not just native americans.

"If thinking that everything that ever happens to you, your race, your country or the world is someone ELSE'S fault makes you feel better... that's great. Enjoy that." (<--about the attitude of victimhood in general. It could be, and it meant to be, applied to anyone who finds it easier to blame their problems on others than seek to improve their situation themselves)

Before you joined the thread, we had a rather long discussion culminating in condemnation of the non-native government's treatment of native peoples. That discussion contained constant use of "you" and "your government" to refer to all non-native Americans (prompting Len's response, and my continuing comments about "our" government being evil).

The general conclusion was that the government is not doing enough to support native peoples. But no suggestions as to what "we" could do to change that were offered.

You don't seem to have added any either. You just said "I agree".

Which is rather frustrating...

(as for my spelling of "wellfare", it is obselete, but it is perfectly valid:
    wellfare - Definitions from Dictionary.com)

...though I'm not the world's most fantastic speller in general, nor does it particularly bother me.

As for my assumption that there's some hatred flying around here: terms like "racist" and "genocide" are incredibly loaded. So is language in which you create a clear "us" and "them". The language used in parts of this thread (especially in some of moonlight's posts, and my own by virtue of response) is incredibly divisive and seems to imply that all non-native people should feel guilty/be held accountable for the current treatment of native americans (which is being equated to the systematic, violent, intentional extermination of a race).
    Last edited by tsurara; Jan 21, 2008 at 01:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast