+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

  1. #41
    My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    near you
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    I also hate the fact that indians were forced to live a certain way basically, but their way of living is too primitive for someone like me, and i speak for most when i say that as well. The Indians were good people to our pilgrams, and helped them survive, and what the people did to the indians back then is horrible, but now its done and over with, time has done passed and changed. This Genocide is not much of a undercover thing, a lot of people know about the wrong doings

    1st Sig finished 12-20-09

  2. #42
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    I also hate the fact that indians were forced to live a certain way basically, but their way of living is too primitive for someone like me, and i speak for most when i say that as well. The Indians were good people to our pilgrams, and helped them survive, and what the people did to the indians back then is horrible, but now its done and over with, time has done passed and changed. This Genocide is not much of a undercover thing, a lot of people know about the wrong doings
    Very true. I wouldn't really call it undercover, common place is more like it. It's to the point where people don't really notice it at all, because it's been goin' on for centuries now.

    It is a very sad thing to see to ANY group of people. But on the other hand, it's beyond our control. The only ones who are able to make a change are the people who set the rules and the people who the problem affect. Sadly, not too many people are trying to push forward for change (on either side of the fence), so when you combine laziness and inconsideration with dependancy, you have a group of folks who are pretty much stuck in social limbo.

    There are black people who are dependant on the government as well, but that's only because for ages, we were taught to do so. Granted, we've had civil rights for along while now, not much has changed as far as progression of our people due to that dependancy. Only the 'educated' black people are willing to make a change. We don't face genocide, but we do deal with a LOT of the same issues.

    So, before anyone says that we don't understand what the Native people are going through. Remember, you may have been killed and had your land taken from you, but we were taken from our land and killed on the way and following arrival here. >_< We're fighting the same struggle, one just moves at a faster pace than the other.


  3. #43
    Newbie Rottweiler is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    I also hate the fact that indians were forced to live a certain way basically, but their way of living is too primitive for someone like me, and i speak for most when i say that as well. The Indians were good people to our pilgrams, and helped them survive, and what the people did to the indians back then is horrible, but now its done and over with, time has done passed and changed. This Genocide is not much of a undercover thing, a lot of people know about the wrong doings
    Can you tell me how you define "primitive"? Although you didn't use the word "progress" in your comments, do you think progress is a good thing? a bad thing?

    Just curious.




  4. #44
    Newbie MechaShadowV2 is off to a good start MechaShadowV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the middle of nowhere in California
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I agree with you to a certain point.

    Yes. Simple tales and myths won't make a culture last long. But, most every other cultural group here in America can tell you the history of thier people from the creation of Adam to the formation of a country. The fact that there are less Native Americans here than there were say, oh.... 400 years ago is a major contributor to the reasons why thier culture is dying so quickly. Another reason is multi-racial pro-creation. I know hundreds of black/mixed people who (including myself) have a substantial amount of Native blood in them. But that's not enough to keep the culture alive. In fact it taints it worse.

    Not a single Native will look at a "half-breed" the same way they look at thier own people. Which is why one of my closest friends moved back to MN from Omaha, NE. If the Native Americans want thier culture to live throughout the ages, they need to make a stand. A casino is just ensuring that thier people have financial means of survival, but where's the real legacy for the Native people? I heard some crazy statistic on television a couple years back that said that Native Americans won't even exist by the year 2030. But I'm not gonna say I believe it, because the same program said America's primary language will be Spanish by the same year. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_child View Post
    According to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, not only were Native Americans the victims of genocide in the 1800s but are still victims of genocide to the present day. The reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a "vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."

    In Professor Churchill's book, 'Kill the Indian, Save the Man: The Genocidal Impact of American Indian Residential Schools' he clearly makes the point that Native Americans were taken by force from their home and stripped from their culture. Some may say that thay was in the early 1900s and is not going on to day. However I really beg to differ. In classrooms today there are no pictures of the great chiefs of the past, but there is every picture of the Untied States President. Also in histroy books, there is nothing there that states barely or anything at all of Native American. But the stundents are taught about each President and how they dealt with not only Native American but African Americans and all other "minority groups".

    Native American History is almost extinct becuse the Elders are gone and the youth are lost the poverty, drugs, alcohol, and violence. No is left to teach the ways of the Ancestors.... the governemt of the U.S.A made sure of that.


    I dont know why you say that most can tell you about the history of their people from the creation of adam to the creation of their country, most i know can't and i know i can't and i and most of my friends are history freaks, (i mean how many people do you know that look at old maps just for fun?) I'm mostly german for example, and its hard to find much on there history other than "they are among the barbarian tribes that added to the downfall of the roman empire" and then you dont hear much on them anymore until the german civl war in the 1800's, thats well over a thousand years that have poor records short of going to germany itself, despite the influance germany had on early colonial history in north america. as for what moon child had to say, about almost all of the history book i had from 3rd-6th grade had like 100 pages on just native american history, and most of the ones in other grades at least covered it, and the only history book i had that had all the presidants was my 8th grade one, since that was exclusivly american history, now, dont get me wrong what happened to the native americans is a tragedy, (i by the way, do have some native american ancestory), but its not like they where the only group ever abused by americans which means if native americans got more spot light in history books, (which would be nice) but so should other minorities that where abused (which also would be nice). one last thing, the real reason why native american history/culture isnt the highlight in the history books is because they arent leading the nation, no matter how many people in a certian culture there are in a country, if there not in charge, there given very little attention, thats just how humans are sadly.
    What do you want to do?
    A.) Scold her?
    B.) Kill her?
    C.) Put it in?

  5. #45
    Newbie Rottweiler is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_child View Post
    According to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, not only were Native Americans the victims of genocide in the 1800s but are still victims of genocide to the present day. The reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a "vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."

    In Professor Churchill's book, 'Kill the Indian, Save the Man: The Genocidal Impact of American Indian Residential Schools' he clearly makes the point that Native Americans were taken by force from their home and stripped from their culture. Some may say that thay was in the early 1900s and is not going on to day. However I really beg to differ. In classrooms today there are no pictures of the great chiefs of the past, but there is every picture of the Untied States President. Also in histroy books, there is nothing there that states barely or anything at all of Native American. But the stundents are taught about each President and how they dealt with not only Native American but African Americans and all other "minority groups".

    Native American History is almost extinct becuse the Elders are gone and the youth are lost the poverty, drugs, alcohol, and violence. No is left to teach the ways of the Ancestors.... the governemt of the U.S.A made sure of that.
    Although Ward Churchill has been getting some negative publicity, I have a lot of respect for his work and often use it as a reference for my own writing. Having heard him speak/lecture, without notes, on numerous occasions, I have to say it is rare to see a room full of people from diverse groups sit without become bored and restless but when WC speaks, this is what happens. But then I agree with most of what he is saying.

    There are no pictures of "great chiefs of the past" here in Toronto either. Native people seem to be invisible in most history textbooks here too. One recently published history textbook contained a poem called "The Squaw Dance". The word "Squaw", according to some Native folks means "c_nt". Does this happen with other cultures, racial and ethnic groups. Probably.

    However, I do not think that Native American History is almost extinct (no offence intended to anyone). There appears to be a number of differences between how Canada and the USA treat Aboriginal people. There are a few (not enough) schools in Toronto for Aboriginal children. There are quite a few Native Studies programs in universities as well and the instructors are primarily Native.

    Regarding the elders being gone or dying off, yes, this true; however, many of these elders have passed their knowledge on to the next generation. Most Native tribes/nations used storytelling or the oral tradition to pass information from one generation to the next. We have had tribes like the Beothuk become extinct. In my limited and personal experience, the oral tradition keeps "the old ways" going.

    In Canada, we also have the Métis or "halfbreeds". Indian Affairs does not give the Métis status cards or casinos but every province has at least one Métis group, such as the Ontario Métis Nation (OMN) or the Canadian Métis Council. Some Native Americans, particularly in the eastern areas are trying to establish a "legitimate" Métis group. It is unfortunate that often the Métis or halfbreeds are forced into choosing which group they belong to - the Native or the non-Native. It is like having each foot in a different canoe.

    I am not even going to attempt to discuss a solution for all the problems Native people face. That is something we, Native and non-Native have to do, from one generation to the next. We have begun making some small steps which is better than no steps at all.

    Finally, to examine the genocide of Aboriginals which is still going on, there is the case of the Innu of Labrador in eastern Canada. I'm not qualifed to comment on the genocide of Aboriginals in the USA, although I would bet that it is still going on.

  6. #46
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Undercover Genocide of A Sacred Nation

    The Associated Press: Judge Hits Gov't on Indian Money Delay

    Just thought someone might be interested since it is on subject.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Similar Threads

  1. What Nation Would You Join?
    By toonfan630 in forum Avatar: The Last Airbender
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: Jul 13, 2010, 07:28 PM
  2. Genocide Armenia
    By FLawEdmiNd in forum Poems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
  3. Untitled (Genocide)
    By FLawEdmiNd in forum Poems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 19, 2007, 02:11 AM
  4. Blood Of the Nation
    By Forgotten soul in forum Poems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2007, 02:40 AM
  5. Keep it undercover
    By kenchi18 in forum Poems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 18, 2006, 11:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts