+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Healthcare?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Universal Healthcare?

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Even so, the fact remains that this is the bill as it stands before they bring out with their new proposels which will in all likely hood going up in flames like it has so many times before. Also Len, the bill has been changing for decades and its still a pial of crap. Untill the new one comes out we have nothing to go by other then this one which they are still pushing very hard for. Now you have stated as to the fact that you don't understand how people can be against a bill that is being changed, how ever I question as to how you can support something that is being changed that the both of us are unsure of whats going to be added, changed, or removed. If thats the case then we wouldnt be in this argument do to the fact that we can't argure on something thats being in flux either pro. or against. I agree that something needs to be done, how ever I believe the Gov. shouldnt not have control while you are wanting Gov. control.
    I don't think it's about the government controlling health care. It's mainly the government competing with private insurers to ensure that every US citizen is covered. The government wouldn't just put a handful of insurance companies out of business like that--there's too much money in insurance. But what the bill states is that they want to have an insurance policy run by the government in competition with the others. So, if you wanted to, you can still have your insurance through your job, or through whatever you already have and are paying for; or you can just get some health care from the government at little to no cost (I'm assuming).

Here's a less confusing version of the health care bill proposal. Most of the dates are the same as the document from Scourge's link.

Text of H.R.3200 as Introduced in House: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Now, if EVERYONE ditched their present coverage and took the universal health care, then I'd be worried because, I don't think the US government has the money for that many people. So, I'm hoping for a positive outcome--granted, I can't say whether or not there will be one. I'm just thinking positively.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Speaking as someone who has benefited from the Canadian Health Care system, I have to say that its worth the tax dollars that would be spent on it.

I've had some procedures done due to injuries from a car accident, as well as a lengthy hospital stay (4 months) that would have bankrupted my family, but it was free. The hospital I was in is considered one of the best in Canada and western North America (Edmonton General Hospital), so quality of health care wasn't in question.

Imagine the amount of worry and stress you wouldn't have if you found yourself having to go to a hospital and not worry about how much its going to cost you.

Yes, there are some downsides to Universal Health Care, one of them being wait times. The sickest and most hurt will get seen first, that is the first basic thing about Triage. Stop being selfish. If waiting in line is that much of a problem for you, There will always be places where you could be seen right away, but it will cost you money, which is the biggest issue isn't and the reason Universal Health Care is being batted around.

The US claims to have the best health care system in the world, yet its only available to those that can afford it, which, lets be honest here, isn't everybody. Universal Health Care would eliminate that.

The right to be healthy and to receive treatment when we are sick and injured is just that, A Right. It should be available to everyone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Peach_follows (Sep 10, 2009)

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

THANK YOU Ace...

I was really hoping someone would come forth and shed some light on their experience with their health care system.

I realize this does not mean America would do things the same way.

I have been told a rumor that getting treatment can be kind of daunting in Canada. And that lots of people have to sit and wait around for their treatment. And reading your post it sounds like there may be some truth to that? Not that Im saying it wouldn't be worth it. I sit and wait here all the time to be seen.

Micheal Moore sorta refuted that whole "intolerable amounts of waiting" in his documentary upon visiting Canada... There were hardly any people piled in waiting rooms like it had been described to me.

I know one thing is for sure, I live in Minnesota, and if I thought the health care of myself or my boys was in jeopardy... I'd cross that boarder with haste.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess thats just the difference between the US and Canada (And the world).

The Vast majority of Canadians think of others before themselves, but its the opposite in the US, where people think that since I have the money, I should be seen first, or get the transplant first, or get to use the CAT scan first, or... you see where I'm going with this.

The people with the most need get to be treated first, not the one with the most cash.

The other reason people don't like the idea of universal health care is this: Who gets to decide who needs it the most.

Some people have it in their heads that it would be the government, but they would be wrong. While the Canadian Health Care system is funded by Federal and Provincial tax dollars, it is run by Medical Professionals, not the politicians.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Every time I go to the hospital, I have to wait. Waiting isn't an issue for me. It's whether or not, I can afford to go be seen at all--that's the concern for me.

I'm pretty patient. If I'm told to wait for an extended period of time, oh well. I have a Nintendo DS and some music. That'll make the wait seem shorter.

I agree with Peach. I think that if I were generally concerned about my health care and whether or not I could afford it, I'd be sailing across Lake Superior to Canada, or I could sneak through International Falls, LOL. Thing is, I don't pay my hospital bills now (let alone go to the hospital), so health care hasn't really been an issue for me. Since my bike accident, I've had these ridiculous medical bills (and what's real bad is that I never got anything too special. Some ibuprofen and a band-aid. $2500 is what I owe for that!)

Newbie gts16774 may be famous one day gts16774 may be famous one day gts16774's Avatar
    Thanks

The general problem I have with tis entire problem I'd the concept of healthcare ins in the first place. The concept that your ins policy should pay for the majority of the bills is insane. People like to compare the universal healthcare to car ins. We all have to have car ins. if we have a car. But car ins is used for major damages and tragic situations, not general up keep. Funny I don't see us turning a mechanics bill to the ins company.
    So healthcare to me should become catestrophic coverage. I don't need an ins company paying for my check ups unless I want that policy. Also economicly and socially the kind of healthcare we get will greatly improve and costs will greatly decrease. More power to the people and not the government, fed, state, or local.

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a very difficult time er.. understanding what it is that you wrote, and yes I plead ignorance to everything above as well. I'm not going to get in on this juicy little argument 'cause I know the obvious benefits of universal health and so do most people.

But I would like to clarify some things for you: it's not free. People benefiting from that kind of health care system can't just frolic around like happy bunnies man. I'll admit that going to see the doctor is free yes, but most other things are not. For example:

One must buy the prescription from a pharmacy,
    If one rides in an ambulance, expect a hefty fee,
    Don't even get me started on dental work.

You see, the very basic description of universal health care is exactly like you say it isn't; major damages and tragic situations. Surgery is covered, broken limbs are covered, I'm pretty sure transplants are covered as well. And how this process funded you ask? Tax dollars from faithful citizens.

The people have as much power as the government under universal health care because, while politicians have dibs on the best doctors etc., they're citizens as well. They pay taxes just like everyone else so they aren't seeing a direct profit from the health care industry. coff coff T_T

I can't see why anyone would be against this, seriously. Just wait, one day you'll need some kind of treatment and it'll be expensive, let's hope you HMO or whatever is feeling particularly sympathetic.

On a side note, people studying to be doctors in Canada stay only long enough to get their certificate and head south instead to where all the money is. Not all of them of course, but there is a shortage of physicians here; I guess it's not enough to help people out anymore unless you're making six figures. huuuh, how much is a prescription for like, antibiotics or Prozac down there?
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLawEdmiNd View Post
    how much is a prescription for like, antibiotics or Prozac down there?
    Hell of a lot cheaper here in canada. Canada has federal regulation over the price of medication.

Expensive yes, but no where near the prices in the states. And you can also get insurance to cover most if not all the cost of medications.

The debate here is the cost of life saving medical care. That should be free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast