+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Utter Ignorance

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Utter Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    Lol, here I was calling myself cocky... But what do you know, you certainly sound conceited here. ^o^
    Oh well if I am I don't mean to be, sorry .

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

If I may deter from the bandwagon for a second and perhaps shred perspective to the other side.

You were practicing on a playground while parents and kids were around. notably kids. Young kids will see you and see what you are doing and want to imitate that. That's not a bad thing necessarily, because it is a cool thing to be able to do. But because they're just kids they haven't been taught how to properly do the things you're doing and could end up really hurting themselves. Now put yourself in the parents' shoes. You don't want your kids seeing this guy mess around on the playground and then have the kids start trying to imitate you and hurt themselves; also if you're practicing stuff like that people aren't going to want to mess with you and talk to you because they think you'll hurt them or get in their face or something. So what do you do when someone's bothering you and you don't want to get into conflict yourself? Call the cops.

Is it fair? Probably not. Is it justified? Well, I just justified it. Maybe before you scream 'victim' you should've considered that what you were doing had potential of hurting others, even if you didn't intend it. Before you label the parents' actions as blind ignorance, maybe you should've realized that doing backflips off the top of the twisty slide for all the little kids to gawk at and try to imitate may have been just as ignorant.

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Anarchy View Post
    Oh well if I am I don't mean to be, sorry .
    ... I was jk. [OwO] Anyway, I just reread your story and I'm still angry... It was a public area, wasn't it? Why's it so bad for you to use the equiptment...?!

If I may deter from the bandwagon for a second and perhaps shred perspective to the other side.

You were practicing on a playground while parents and kids were around. notably kids. Young kids will see you and see what you are doing and want to imitate that. That's not a bad thing necessarily, because it is a cool thing to be able to do. But because they're just kids they haven't been taught how to properly do the things you're doing and could end up really hurting themselves. Now put yourself in the parents' shoes. You don't want your kids seeing this guy mess around on the playground and then have the kids start trying to imitate you and hurt themselves; also if you're practicing stuff like that people aren't going to want to mess with you and talk to you because they think you'll hurt them or get in their face or something. So what do you do when someone's bothering you and you don't want to get into conflict yourself? Call the cops.

Is it fair? Probably not. Is it justified? Well, I just justified it. Maybe before you scream 'victim' you should've considered that what you were doing had potential of hurting others, even if you didn't intend it. Before you label the parents' actions as blind ignorance, maybe you should've realized that doing backflips off the top of the twisty slide for all the little kids to gawk at and try to imitate may have been just as ignorant.
    That's true, but in these cases it would have been better for the parents to talk to him; not just call the police with no warning.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post

But do you see? That's the point I'm trying to get across. If the parents had asked me what it was I was doing then I would have explained it to them with a smile. When the cop showed up I looked her in the eye and when she told me to leave I said "Sure, no problem" and left just like that with no problem to be made, like there was a need for one. The parents, however called the cops because they thought I was weird and unusual not because there kids would try to copy me. You're right, the kids might get curious and try to imitate my movement which is fine, the art of movement is the most natural thing in the world. But the parents of my town need to get out more and learn more instead of passing off each unusual figure they see as a criminal or hoodlum.

Devoted Otaku tokini is off to a good start tokini's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree people also need to shut up about things if someone is in the middle of something and obviously dosn't want to be disturbed...people are so noisy now... well to me because I'm not used to them

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Do you know the parents called the cops because you were being 'weird and unusual'? The cops said disturbing the peace to you right? How is doing professional stunt level activities in front of children without professional supervision for the kids out there not disturbing? If a kid starts imitating what you're doing and hurts them self, that's on you. You're forgetting that the moves you're doing are dangerous if done incorrectly, and your disregard for the safety of the children is a disturbance. if they are young children, the parents are gonna be fairly young too, they're not likely alien to 'weird and unusual' people and things. This is the modern age. You're too consumed with your own self pity to realize that what you were doing, where you were at at that particular time was an error in good judgment. The children's safety on a public set of equipment designed for them, is more important than your selfish need or desire to practice, especially if you can practice somewhere else that isn't going to put other people's safety at risk.

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    Do you know the parents called the cops because you were being 'weird and unusual'? The cops said disturbing the peace to you right? How is doing professional stunt level activities in front of children without professional supervision for the kids out there not disturbing? If a kid starts imitating what you're doing and hurts them self, that's on you. You're forgetting that the moves you're doing are dangerous if done incorrectly, and your disregard for the safety of the children is a disturbance. if they are young children, the parents are gonna be fairly young too, they're not likely alien to 'weird and unusual' people and things. This is the modern age. You're too consumed with your own self pity to realize that what you were doing, where you were at at that particular time was an error in good judgment. The children's safety on a public set of equipment designed for them, is more important than your selfish need or desire to practice, especially if you can practice somewhere else that isn't going to put other people's safety at risk.
    And you, my friend- are merely being repetitive. We understand the clashing of opinions, that's what this forum is for, but in this case, it's obvious that the 'victim', if you'd like to call it that; was Artistic Anarchy. The parents were the ones that called the authority in the first place, using stereotypes. In cases like this, you don't assume that someone is deliberatly disturbing the peace... Especially if it's a teenager/young adult. As I've said, that's stereotyping, and that's an entire issue on it's own. Sure, the children might have tried to imitate what he was doing, but, in these situations, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen; not anyone else's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    The parents were the ones that called the authority in the first place, using stereotypes.
    I needlessly repeat myself because clearly you're not getting it. This in bold is an assumption in itself, hypocritical. You don't KNOW what was going on in the mind of the parent who called the cops, you just assume that's the only reason a parent would call the cops on a teen. Once again, if you looked through the perspective of a concerned parent your main concern is with the safety of your child. A person, regardless of age, color, or creed doing acrobatic work around impressionable kids is dangerous to the kid on a mental level. Because childrens' minds are impressionable and want to emulate by nature, having a guy jump from the top of the playground is not the kind of person you want your kids being around because they will try to do that themselves.

"Is it fair? Probably not"

Should a parent have approached you, Artistic Anarchy? Yeah, probably. Calling the cops may seem a bit extreme but at the same time they didn't arrest you and you didn't make a big scene about it. My point is that this situation could've been avoided if you had used better judgment and recognized that you were doing things in front of kids that you shouldn't have. You're your own victim, not a victim of society. You're old enough to know the social norms and should be smart enough to deal with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast