+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Utter Ignorance

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Utter Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    I needlessly repeat myself because clearly you're not getting it. This in bold is an assumption in itself, hypocritical. You don't KNOW what was going on in the mind of the parent who called the cops, you just assume that's the only reason a parent would call the cops on a teen. Once again, if you looked through the perspective of a concerned parent your main concern is with the safety of your child. A person, regardless of age, color, or creed doing acrobatic work around impressionable kids is dangerous to the kid on a mental level. Because childrens' minds are impressionable and want to emulate by nature, having a guy jump from the top of the playground is not the kind of person you want your kids being around because they will try to do that themselves.

"Is it fair? Probably not"

Should a parent have approached you, Artistic Anarchy? Yeah, probably. Calling the cops may seem a bit extreme but at the same time they didn't arrest you and you didn't make a big scene about it. My point is that this situation could've been avoided if you had used better judgment and recognized that you were doing things in front of kids that you shouldn't have. You're your own victim, not a victim of society. You're old enough to know the social norms and should be smart enough to deal with it.
    I understand what you're saying, but what other reason would the parents have called the cops? As you've already said, they were concerned parents...Thinking of the safety of their children. But, what exactly was it that made him so dangerous? Him practicing? If they didn't even know what he was doing, that means they must have automatically assumed (Now I'm going to be repetitive) something, otherwise they wouldn't have taken such drastic actions- and if they knew he was just practicing- why would they have called the police? They could have just spoken to him... No matter how you look at it, it was the actions of the parents that caused this whole controversy.

And before you go repeating yourself again, I don't think that he did anything wrong in practicing there. It's a public area, and he did nothing against the rules- therefore I believe he did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand completely. Something similiar happened to me where I made a supposedly harassing comment about someones wife. He thought it was funny but someone who overheard it reported it to my boss. and he reprimanded me. I mean once on me twice on you. If someone does something that pisses me off once it is on me to tell them I am offended. If they do it twice then they don't care and it is one them and I will report them.

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

If I may deter from the bandwagon for a second and perhaps shred perspective to the other side.

You were practicing on a playground while parents and kids were around. notably kids. Young kids will see you and see what you are doing and want to imitate that. That's not a bad thing necessarily, because it is a cool thing to be able to do. But because they're just kids they haven't been taught how to properly do the things you're doing and could end up really hurting themselves. Now put yourself in the parents' shoes. You don't want your kids seeing this guy mess around on the playground and then have the kids start trying to imitate you and hurt themselves; also if you're practicing stuff like that people aren't going to want to mess with you and talk to you because they think you'll hurt them or get in their face or something. So what do you do when someone's bothering you and you don't want to get into conflict yourself? Call the cops.

Is it fair? Probably not. Is it justified? Well, I just justified it. Maybe before you scream 'victim' you should've considered that what you were doing had potential of hurting others, even if you didn't intend it. Before you label the parents' actions as blind ignorance, maybe you should've realized that doing backflips off the top of the twisty slide for all the little kids to gawk at and try to imitate may have been just as ignorant.
    + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Anarchy View Post
    But do you see? That's the point I'm trying to get across. If the parents had asked me what it was I was doing then I would have explained it to them with a smile. When the cop showed up I looked her in the eye and when she told me to leave I said "Sure, no problem" and left just like that with no problem to be made, like there was a need for one. The parents, however called the cops because they thought I was weird and unusual not because there kids would try to copy me. You're right, the kids might get curious and try to imitate my movement which is fine, the art of movement is the most natural thing in the world. But the parents of my town need to get out more and learn more instead of passing off each unusual figure they see as a criminal or hoodlum.
    Maybe you looked like a hoodlum to them. Stereotypes may be false but they'll always play a major role in peoples' attitude towards you. Like Dark. said, not many people would want to mess with a young male practicing [cool, might I add] stunt moves. Put it this way - if I was the one practicing parkour in that park (highly unlikely, but picture a 5 foot tall, barely 100lbs girl who could probably pass off as a kid), those parents would've approached me without a problem. Yeah, I get picked on a lot. Physical size matters heaps. Wish I was a foot taller or something.

You're old enough to know the social norms and should be smart enough to deal with it.
    I do agree with this. It mightn't be right for them to judge you, but at a playground where children are around, performing dangerous stunts is certain to earn you a few disapproving looks. Setting examples for kids is a number one priority for respectable parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical shadow angel For This Useful Post:

Dark. (Aug 17, 2009)

Newbie Sabishii is off to a good start Sabishii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel View Post
    + 1

Maybe you looked like a hoodlum to them. Stereotypes may be false but they'll always play a major role in peoples' attitude towards you. Like Dark. said, not many people would want to mess with a young male practicing [cool, might I add] stunt moves. Put it this way - if I was the one practicing parkour in that park (highly unlikely, but picture a 5 foot tall, barely 100lbs girl who could probably pass off as a kid), those parents would've approached me without a problem. Yeah, I get picked on a lot. Physical size matters heaps. Wish I was a foot taller or something.

I do agree with this. It mightn't be right for them to judge you, but at a playground where children are around, performing dangerous stunts is certain to earn you a few disapproving looks. Setting examples for kids is a number one priority for respectable parents.

But... ;_; That's where it goes back to the issue where they not only hould have acted like respectable parents, but as respectable people, by talking to him before taking action.

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sabishii View Post
    But... ;_; That's where it goes back to the issue where they not only hould have acted like respectable parents, but as respectable people, by talking to him before taking action.
    Common sense would tell you not to approach someone if you felt they were a threat, and like I said, a young male performing what would come across as dangerous stunts would consequently give of dangerous vibes of "do not approach the cool and bad-ass guy".

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel View Post
    Common sense would tell you not to approach someone if you felt they were a threat, and like I said, a young male performing what would come across as dangerous stunts would consequently give of dangerous vibes of "do not approach the cool and bad-ass guy".
    That's the thing though, people don't want to take the time to get to know me. How is parkour giving off dangerous vibes? I would never hurt anyone, I would love to for people to just not be so closed minded and learn something new.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you know the parents called the cops because you were being 'weird and unusual'? The cops said disturbing the peace to you right? How is doing professional stunt level activities in front of children without professional supervision for the kids out there not disturbing? If a kid starts imitating what you're doing and hurts them self, that's on you. You're forgetting that the moves you're doing are dangerous if done incorrectly, and your disregard for the safety of the children is a disturbance. if they are young children, the parents are gonna be fairly young too, they're not likely alien to 'weird and unusual' people and things. This is the modern age. You're too consumed with your own self pity to realize that what you were doing, where you were at at that particular time was an error in good judgment. The children's safety on a public set of equipment designed for them, is more important than your selfish need or desire to practice, especially if you can practice somewhere else that isn't going to put other people's safety at risk.
    If a child hurts themselves because my movements were impressionable enough for them to attempt, that's in no way on me. I'm not responsible for someone else's child and I apply ever power I can to keep as far away from bothering them or the kids. For all I know the parents found me strange and the cop gave me a more textbook explanation. To root back to my first point, I'M NOT THERE TO TEACH THE KIDS OR TO ACT AS THEIR GUARDIAN WHEN THEY GET INJURED. This is flagrant disregard of a parent for their child's safety, can't you get that? If I had disregard for the safety of the children I wouldn't be as keen to stray away from their space as I am while I practice movement. I can't believe you're labeling it "a selfish desire to practice", how ignorant can one possibly be? I can only guess you've never been in such a spot yourself. The equipment is not designed or designated for a particular age group, if that were the case the structures wouldn't be built as high as some of them are.

I being a "selfish" practitioner of my art, as you seem to so proudly state, would constitute my lack of care for the others around me. I stress keeping distance from smaller children because I understand that many are extremely impressionable, but that's not my fault. I exercise caution among myself while training, and I exercise that same circumspect behavior when a larger and more frail population is present. You want to go ahead and haphazardly, crudely title me "selfish" because you don't understand both sides or even grasp each circumstance, fine. But this argument, you won't win. Sorry.

Before you label the parents' actions as blind ignorance, maybe you should've realized that doing backflips off the top of the twisty slide for all the little kids to gawk at and try to imitate may have been just as ignorant.
    Who says I was practicing back flips? I'm responsible solely for my own well being while remaining conscious and respectful for all others around myself. If you think your kid is becoming a bit too close to me and if you're not prepared to rely on me to move away from them, then step the hell in and take care of your child before being so unreasonably paranoid about whatever it is I'm doing. I do not travel to certain locations to obstruct the activity of others, I do not train to lay impression upon anyone who's looking in my direction. You seem to not care whether parents hold themselves or their children accountable for what they do, even if they're not given any intentional influence from someone like myself, which I've never done. You haven't shed any light on the opposition, you've only managed to remind of me of the lame and overtly clueless bunch of people that I unfortunately brush with from time to time. Thank you.

Should a parent have approached you, Artistic Anarchy? Yeah, probably. Calling the cops may seem a bit extreme but at the same time they didn't arrest you and you didn't make a big scene about it. My point is that this situation could've been avoided if you had used better judgment and recognized that you were doing things in front of kids that you shouldn't have. You're your own victim, not a victim of society. You're old enough to know the social norms and should be smart enough to deal with it.
    My judgement shouldn't be questioned because some parents were too afraid to ask me what it was I was doing. Your mind seems too narrow to realize that society needs to accept aberrations sometimes, it's what strengthens knowledge among people like yourself who want people to be the attendant of someone else's responsibility. Ever situation like this that I'm confronted with I've always dealt with in the most neutral and respectful way. This is me venting through text instead of exploding what's in my mind at the police department or at the mothers bringing their children to the playgrounds, because I realize that I have the right to be there just as much as anyone else does and so should they. There are no regulations, or legalized restrictions at the park that bar my body from moving however I wish around the equipment of the park or excludes because I've reached a certain age. You really seem to want me to realize that I'm wrong, that I'm the villain, where as I'm finalizing the fact that you're a one-sided fool. I've looked at the opposing force of each physical argument I've been involved in with people all around town, they're flimsy, half-baked, nearly nude of reason. "HE JUMPED FROM A 5 FOOT HIGH LEDGE, CALL THE PATROL CARS ON THIS WEIRD ANIMAL, SAVE THE CHILDREN!" Dark. shouted as he noticed Artistic Anarchy gallivanting carelessly from roof top to next, out of the way of all ground level pedestrians. This is where you are, Dark., ground level... I'm somewhere in the sky above you. ALWAYS!
    Last edited by Artistic Anarchy; Jun 27, 2012 at 07:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3