+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: are we using government money wisely?

Otaku fma1012 may be famous one day fma1012 may be famous one day fma1012's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: are we using government money wisely?

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    we do have the money to throw around why? because bush dumb self gonna spend over 3 billion dollars on the war when they can tell when saddam husan is. we go wresck iraq but we use the money, our money to fix it?, so since you dont wanna help africa. at least his dumb ass can fic new orleans. it's still the same way it was a year ago.

Well I can tell that you think bush is stupid and all, but I guess we have to pick better next time.

Thanks lifeforce! (:

Newbie LordBarronmore may be famous one day LordBarronmore may be famous one day LordBarronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Intresting topic.

Is the government using our money wisley? That's a good question. The answer really is yes and no. It also depends on your view.

First off, there's a myth that needs to be destoyed here. There are very few real 'poor' americans. Compaired to the 3rd world countries were sending money to, poor americans live a very comfortable life. I know, I"m one. I have been all my life. My family makes much less then the national poverty line and yet we have a car, a house, a tv, cable (ok, that comes with the rent), video game systems, etc. I think that should be enough to prove my point.

Yes, there are poor americans here. But there is also a social safty net to care for them. I don't know anyone who cannot actually get help from somewhere so they can put food on the table. If your not getting government assistance through foodstamps (and other programs) there are countless charities out there that will help with the nessissities of life.

Last time I checked (and this was 10 years ago) I family on nothing but welfare could pull down $30,000 a year from government assisstance. In short, if your poor and need help, there are plenty of places to get assistance in this country.

Now, for the acutal topic. No, the government mismanages our money all over the place. The only function of government that I see no wastage of money on is the Military. We need a strong military for several reasons. Rather or not you agree with the Iraq war (which I do), I don't know anyone outside of the far left that feels we do not need a strong military.

The biggest waste of government money is entitlements (pork barrel). We spend countless dollars on the farm subsities that are no longer needed. We pay farmers to not grow crops (please correct me if this practice has changed) and then give them the money for crops they never grew. So, farmers are encouraged to "plant" more crops next year.

Then we start pandering to specal intrest groups such as "the bridge to nowhere' that was already brought up. There's a lot more out there just like it. Look at Boston's "Big Dig" project that is 10 years behind scheduel and a few billions dollars over budget. Now, I can't tell you rather or not "the big dig" is needed but I'm positive it will never be finished 'unless we put more money into it".

Poloticians are re-elected on how much pork they can bring home special intresets and the state they represent. If your senator or congressmen can't deliver the pork, they get voted out of office. If he can, he's there for life...no matter how good or bad his polocies can be.

Don't beleive me. Then think about these two examples.

1. Congress has argued for years that military spending needs to be cut in wise ways. The most famous of those ways is base closures for unneeded military bases. Everyone agrees it's a great idea until it's there base that is put on the chopping block. In utah we have Hill AFB, which has been scheduled for closure countless times. Senator Hatch has always fought to keep it open (and succeeded). Why do we Uthan's want it to stay open? Becuase it's a huge boost to the local economy (as all military expendiatures are). Alaska appears to feel the same way since one of there senators just saved one of their bases up there as well.

2. Nearly every state has passed a law that will inact Senatoral term limits...when every other state does it too. What does that mean? It means the states and it's people all agree that having a sitting senator in washington for 40+ years is not a very good thing for the nation. But becuase the senate is setup under seniority rules, no state wants to lose a sitting senator, especially if he has enough seniority to sit (or chair) the very powerful committies. All the states have said 'let's bring em home....you first though". As long as Senators have such power to bring the pork home (becuase of their powerful committe standings) the states don't have an insentive to bring them home.

So, why does so much money get wasted? We'll as Rush Limbaugh states it's because the Mother Pig (Big Government) takes all the milk (taxes) and we little piglets want some of it back! As long as our Congressmen bring home the Milk we'll keep sending them back. When the milk runs dry...we need to find a new source.

And money is the mother's milk of polotics.

So, you want the government to start spending money wisley? Then we, as a collective nation, need to stop demanding "our fare share". Oh, it's easy to say 'we need to cut government spending', itleast until it's our pocket book that feels it.

Ok, there's my rant. Does the government spend our money wisley? That depends totally on rather or not it's taking or giving money to you.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting thought there Barronmore.

First off, there's a myth that needs to be destoyed here. There are very few real 'poor' americans. Compaired to the 3rd world countries were sending money to, poor americans live a very comfortable life. I know, I"m one. I have been all my life. My family makes much less then the national poverty line and yet we have a car, a house, a tv, cable (ok, that comes with the rent), video game systems, etc. I think that should be enough to prove my point.

Scotland on Sunday - Opinion - Katrina reveals truth of American poverty

I think that this may be an isolated case, but it still shocked a lot of people and well, whatever was behind that story isn't perfectly clear to me still.

I don't have other big facts and I don't have time to check for more right now, but I'll sure try to get involved in this subject eventually more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    we do have the money to throw around why? because bush dumb self gonna spend over 3 billion dollars on the war when they can tell when saddam husan is. we go wresck iraq but we use the money, our money to fix it?, so since you dont wanna help africa. at least his dumb ass can fic new orleans. it's still the same way it was a year ago.
    just because he spent billions on the war doesn't mean we accually HAD that money to use. the government deot is in the trillions somewhere...

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually we did. You need a better understanding of the debt to GDP ratio and what it means.

BTW there have also been billions of dollars earmarked for New Orleans. If there is problems with the rebuilding ask the local politicians who are in charge of it's implementation what is taking so long. Though to be fair it is expected to take at least 3 years, minimum.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Jackleonfraust may be famous one day Jackleonfraust may be famous one day
    Thanks

NO.

period.

there are much better ways to say ... fund education. instead of throwing money at the schools. have that money ride with the kids to go to the schools of thier choice (i know, horrible spelling. proof of failure). directly resulting in better schools and a better, happier educational experiance for the students.

just one example.

Newbie pikapika28 may be famous one day pikapika28 may be famous one day
    Thanks

The government never use money wisely, that is why we are in such a huge debt.

Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Thanks

No, America could actually use their money better. Like to healthcare and "helpbox" for poor.
    After Bush was elected I haven't seen USA doing anything good with their money...for fighting
    over for nothing.

Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast