Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the Deal with the Mormon Religion?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Whats the Deal with the Mormon Religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Ive learned some interesting things about this religion. I hear they consider Black People second class citizens. When blacks get to heaven they don't have the same rights or status as the whites. So even in heaven they're 2nd class citizens.

Also they believe in polygamy. Which now they claim they don't, as well as the racist thing. In other words they say they changed, Which i don't believe, when all this stuff is still written in their version of the bible.

I was shocked when i heard this, i always though they were so religious and godly, and none of this sounds godly to me at all.

So are the Mormons a bunch of racist polygamists?
    Well since I am LDS I will answer this. Simply, you have heard wrong. I am not surprised however since there is a lot of misinformation out there complicated by the fact that there is several schisms from the LDS church just as there are many schisms from the Catholic church, our own Protestants if you will. However most people who don't really know the LDS religion don't realize that they aren't the same church or just don't care. Since most of these schisms still call themselves "Mormons" you have to be careful when hearing things like that and make sure who they are talking about.

Now about the misinformation on Blacks. Put simply it has to do with the priesthood. If you know the Bible you know that Blacks are supposed to be descended from Cain through Egyptus wife of Ham. The priesthood was withheld from that line in Ancient times. When the Church was founded it was done so on the original teachings and priesthood authority at the time of Christ. Recognition of that restriction to the lineage of Cain was a part of that. In 1978 however the Prophet Spencer W. Kimball was instructed by God that the time had come for that restriction to be lifted and since that time any man, no matter the lineage, may hold the priesthood as long as they live up the the standards. There are no restrictions after death either. Anyone who tells you there are are either misinformed or personally bigoted. It does happen.

Secondly, polygamy. I am not surprised that you have misheard about this since I run into a lot of members who have never taken the time to learn either. There seems to be an attitude that if their ancestors did it it must be alright. I can't be surprised by that since I run into that attitude everywhere. Someone on this forum once said that it must be all right to marry a 13 year old bride because their grandfather (not sure the greats there) had done it.

So here is the facts.

The LDS church does not believe in polygamy except when God himself expressly calls for it through his Prophet. The Book of Mormon tells us he does so for the intent of "raising up a righteous generation" which would explain why in the Bible whenever you had prophets living solitary in the midst of corruption and disbelief they usually had more then one wife. The polygamy as practiced by the LDS church was done so for a short number of years, regulated with strict requirements for the care of the wives and children, had to be approved, and when the Prophet said the time was finished the members were warned of the destruction they would face if they didn't obey. Since then any member who engages in said behavior is excommunicated for breaking Gods laws of one man and one wife.

I hope I explained that clearly. If not please let me know.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

So the LDS church does believe in it in some situations. Thats what my friend must have heard. So they don't practice it at all today Arrianna? Whats to stop some Mormon priest from claiming hes a prophet and getting whole community into polygamy? With all this said its still tolerated in your version of the bible, and i cant see how that is allowed seeing the other bible has a commandment against it.
    Last edited by Hassun; Sep 19, 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Ariianna -> Arrianna

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    So the LDS church does believe in it in some situations. Thats what my friend must have heard. So they don't practice it at all today Ariianna? Whats to stop some Mormon priest from claiming hes a prophet and getting whole community into polygamy? With all this said its still tolerated in your version of the bible, and i cant see how that is allowed seeing the other bible has a commandment against it.
    Because he doesn't have the authority. Being Catholic that should make perfect sense to you. Every Priesthood holder can trace their authority back to the original Apostles and Christ. There are very clear lines of authority as a result including just who the Prophet is. It would be like a Bishop declaring himself Pope. They can do it, and they can even get followers, but it doesn't change who is really in charge of the Church. Mind you your hypothesis is perfectly legitimate since that is exactly what has happened with a few of the schisms.

Now I have a question for you? Just where is this commandment against polygamy in the Bible? we use the King James Bible so obviously it is a Protestant version (tradition and all) but as far as I know the only command against polygamy in the Bible was in the rules set exclusively for the Kings of Israel. I would love to know your reference.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Knew Arrianna would beat me too this thread...

Little history lesson about our church. Polygamy was instituted out of necessity because so many of the men in the early days of our church were killed off during persecutions, Governor Lilburn Boggs of Missouri in the 1830's issuing an extermination order (Thats right, a United States Governor issued an order that all Mormons in the state be killed, whats even more shocking that it remained law in the state till 1976 when Governor Christopher S. Bond recinded), which forced members out of the state in the dead of winter, where a great deal more men died because they opted to let their wives and children eat first, leading to them dying of starvation, exposure and malnutrition related illnesses, especially during the Martin Handcart company trek to Utah. This left he church with a congregation of widows and orphans. In order to support them, many men took on second or third wives along with their families to take care of them.
    Once the church got to Utah and settled the salt lake valley, polygamy was abolished once there was no more need for it.

Course, this, along with issues pertaining to the order of succession to the leader of the church (The Prophet), lead to schisms and offshoots of the LDS church.

Thanks

Just wandered by at the right time I guess.

If you are going to get historical... It had started before that but was pretty limited until necessity changed it. For a little historical perspective not only was polygamy legal at the time something like 4% of the male citizens of the US practiced it (the percentage in the LDS church was half of that). It didn't become scandalous until after SLC was settled and old enemies spread rumors about the church back in DC. One of my favorite versions was the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes story "A Study In Scarlet" which made me laugh very hard when I realized what it was supposed to be about. I understand that contemporary LDS members were not as amused as I was. Historically it is also necessary to understand that this was a time when single women could not travel safely alone without family. As a result single female converts often had to get married in order to travel safely to LDS lands.

Either way, polygamy has not been sanctioned in the LDS church since 1890 (over a century ago) so anyone who tells you otherwise is seriously behind the times or thinking of one of the schisms.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Now I have a question for you? Just where is this commandment against polygamy in the Bible? we use the King James Bible so obviously it is a Protestant version (tradition and all) but as far as I know the only command against polygamy in the Bible was in the rules set exclusively for the Kings of Israel. I would love to know your reference.
    I didn't mean there was an actual one against it, but in my mind it kind of breaks the 7th one, Thou shall not commit adultery. Cause after the first wife, if you consummate the other marriages your cheating on your first wife.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Thnx Arrianna and Aceman67 for clearin' that up for evry1, I was raised in believin' in the docturines of the Church of Latter Day Saints and I can' count how many times that I've hadta explain ta people 'bout those schisms. People don' understand that most of them r jus' gossip, or even flat-out lies, that had been tagged upon Mormons many years ago. I had often had ta educate people 'bout the church and it's beliefs.

@Miroku4444- If u wanna get technical, then it doesn'. Think 'bout it, if a man is married ta more than one wife, that means that they r all his wives. Let's look at the definition of Adultry-

Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.

Polygamy, yes; adultry, not as much. Not that I'm condonin' polygamy, but if u think 'bout it, How can it truely b tied ta adultry?

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I always knew about the polygamy. But not the whole racial thing.

I used to live in a predominately black neighborhood..., The Mormons would go up and down the streets recruiting (for lack of a better term). Im sure that wouldn't have gone so well had they been walking up to people saying "Would you like to be a second class citizen in the promised land?, You'd be walking...almost most next to God.. y'know... after white people..."

Polygamy almost makes sense to me... Not that Id be down to be a second or third wife, but I feel monogamy is a tad unrealistic. Provided most people cheat or divorce or both. Perhaps it is marriage that is unrealistic.

But yeah... I used to invite the Mormons over so they could convert me. (God, I was bored). They were very helpful... They brought me milk and toilet paper when I ran out. And I listened, mostly so I could question them and debate.. but I listened. Then they wanted me to switch my tea (saying consuming what was in mine was against God's will)... Thats when it all fell apart. No one messes with my tea!
    Good ol' Xerxes Ave, LOL. I remember when you used to invite them over like all the time. ^_^ I think Peach even made them cookies or some s*** like that once. LOL.

I remember one day, when we got into it, I left and the mormons had showed up as I was walkin' out the door, and I tried to chase them away, LOL.

Mormons--to me anyway--are kinda crazy. They listen to a "prophet" who supposedly has "keys to heaven" given to him by god, and he's supposed to lead these people to "eternal life with god". I personally think it's a bunch of whoooey. The last real prophet to exist was in biblical times. Jesus, Mohamed, Moses, Jonah... Those were prophets. Mormons could be following a psychopath for all they know.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast