Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the Deal with the Mormon Religion?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Whats the Deal with the Mormon Religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I didn't mean there was an actual one against it, but in my mind it kind of breaks the 7th one, Thou shall not commit adultery. Cause after the first wife, if you consummate the other marriages your cheating on your first wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    @Miroku4444- If u wanna get technical, then it doesn'. Think 'bout it, if a man is married ta more than one wife, that means that they r all his wives. Let's look at the definition of Adultry-

Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.

Polygamy, yes; adultry, not as much. Not that I'm condonin' polygamy, but if u think 'bout it, How can it truely b tied ta adultry?
    Not at all rather then "not as much". Not only is it not adultery if they are lawfully married, as Joe Mage pointed out, but the Israelites had laws pertaining to the treatment of multiple wives and their childrens inheritance. You can find it in Deuteronomy 21, one of the books of law.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Good ol' Xerxes Ave, LOL. I remember when you used to invite them over like all the time. ^_^ I think Peach even made them cookies or some s*** like that once. LOL.

I remember one day, when we got into it, I left and the mormons had showed up as I was walkin' out the door, and I tried to chase them away, LOL.

Mormons--to me anyway--are kinda crazy. They listen to a "prophet" who supposedly has "keys to heaven" given to him by god, and he's supposed to lead these people to "eternal life with god". I personally think it's a bunch of whoooey. The last real prophet to exist was in biblical times. Jesus, Mohamed, Moses, Jonah... Those were prophets. Mormons could be following a psychopath for all they know.
    I've met President Gordon B. Hinkley, not once, but twice. The first time when he announced that a Temple be built in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, and once again, at that temples dedication a couple years later. He is by far the most kind and gentle man I have ever met. He is the spiritual leader of Millions of people all around the world, and I think, deserves just a smidgen of respect.

The dictionary defines a "Prophet" as: someone who speaks by divine inspiration; someone who is an interpreter of the will of God.

I don't see why its so preposterous that a Prophet can't be around today. The faithful of the Roman Catholic church see the Pope as someone who Communes (meaning to Communicate, or Converse) with God, which by the definition that I gave above, he would be considered a Prophet.

President Gordon B. Hinkley is my spiritual leader, and I believe that he is a prophet, seer, and revelator.

Otaku Lupas is off to a good start
    Thanks

RELIEGON(i know spelled it wrong),always a defleshing topic like the inquisision(again wrong)polygamy should only be practice when the speices needs it, but then humans tend to build reliegons around saving graces.i don't understand why we segment ourselves; black, white, muslim, catholic, we r all human, if we can't get off this rock soon we'll be hunting each other. actually we already are

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I've met President Gordon B. Hinkley, not once, but twice. The first time when he announced that a Temple be built in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, and once again, at that temples dedication a couple years later. He is by far the most kind and gentle man I have ever met. He is the spiritual leader of Millions of people all around the world, and I think, deserves just a smidgen of respect.

The dictionary defines a "Prophet" as: someone who speaks by divine inspiration; someone who is an interpreter of the will of God.

I don't see why its so preposterous that a Prophet can't be around today. The faithful of the Roman Catholic church see the Pope as someone who Communes (meaning to Communicate, or Converse) with God, which by the definition that I gave above, he would be considered a Prophet.

President Gordon B. Hinkley is my spiritual leader, and I believe that he is a prophet, seer, and revelator.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not tryin' to disrespect. I, myself, don't choose a religion because I am on a more spiritual level. I believe there's a god and all, I just don't practice religion. But I digress from my point. Prophets--to me--are men chosen by God to speak on his behalf, yes that is true. But if I told you that I spoke to God myself, you'd call me crazy. If God doesn't speak to me or any of the massive amount of people I've met in my 27 years of life, I find it hard to believe that he'd pick just one person out of one religion to speak on his behalf. And does this prophet carry said "keys to heaven" with him? Can I see them? Then I'd have more influence to believe that prophets exist in this day in age. I'm a man of evidence and fact. If I can't hear god, if I can't see "keys to heaven", then I'm more inclined to believe that today's "prophets" are false or not fit in the head.

That's just my opinion...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

The "Keys to Heaven" that you're referring too is the Priesthood, specifically, the authority to do things in God's name. Every Man in my church 12 years and older has the Priesthood (The Youth have the Aaronic priesthood and the Melchizedek priesthood is held by the older Adults.).

The President of my church is the only man who has all the keys, or the authority to do things in God's name, then these keys are then spread out over the membership of the church, with no one havening all of them, this is so that the priesthood can never be fully taken from the earth again (It was originally taken from the earth after Jesus' death and his apostles were killed off, or died. This is known as the Apostasy).

They aren't Literally the keys to heaven.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

The "Keys to Heaven" that you're referring too is the Priesthood, specifically, the authority to do things in God's name. Every Man in my church 12 years and older has the Priesthood (The Youth have the Aaronic priesthood and the Melchizedek priesthood is held by the older Adults.).

The President of my church is the only man who has all the keys, or the authority to do things in God's name, then these keys are then spread out over the membership of the church, with no one havening all of them, this is so that the priesthood can never be fully taken from the earth again (It was originally taken from the earth after Jesus' death and his apostles were killed off, or died. This is known as the Apostasy).

They aren't Literally the keys to heaven.
    Okay, now it makes some sense. The mormons who came to my house on occasion never really explained that part, and if they did, I must've left during said conversation--as I've done a few times. But I'm still wondering: How does one (anybody other than the person in question) know for sure that a person is a prophet? I mean, I can say I'm a prophet; how many will follow me? Ya catch my drift? What proof is there to being a prophet besides a certificate or key or whatever?

Do they just sit in church until one person gets up and says, "Yes god, I hear you loud and clear,"? I mean what real, hard, substantial proof/evidence is there to back that person up? You can't tell me that he's appointed by a council or group of people, because then that defeats the purpose. God is to choose a prophet correct? How does everyone else know that?

Thanks

How does someone know something like that?

Let me ask you this: Have you ever pondered about a choice, and gotten a warm feeling in your chest, and you Just KNEW beyond any shadow of a doubt that the choice you made was the right thing to do?

That feeling and the knowledge that what you're doing is right is the, (According to my beliefs) is the Holy Ghost telling you that.

when a new President for my church is being chosen, the Leadership of our church (The two councellors to the president, and the 12 apostles) all pray to ask who should be the next President, and they know the choice that they made is the right one based on that feeling. Its all based on faith.

Now, in a previous post you said "How do we know that our leader might be telling us the wrong thing". We know that he wont because, and I don't know where this is written and I sure arrianna knows where it is, that should a prophet ever lead us astray, God would remove him from the earth.

Thanks

How does someone know something like that?

Let me ask you this: Have you ever pondered about a choice, and gotten a warm feeling in your chest, and you Just KNEW beyond any shadow of a doubt that the choice you made was the right thing to do?

That feeling and the knowledge that what you're doing is right is the, (According to my beliefs) is the Holy Ghost telling you that.

when a new President for my church is being chosen, the Leadership of our church (The two councellors to the president, and the 12 apostles) all pray to ask who should be the next President, and they know the choice that they made is the right one based on that feeling. Its all based on faith.

Now, in a previous post you said "How do we know that our leader might be telling us the wrong thing". We know that he wont because, and I don't know where this is written and I sure arrianna knows where it is, that should a prophet ever lead us astray, God would remove him from the earth.
    Makes sense, I suppose. But do you mean to tell me that 12 to 14 people all (or a majority of them) get the same gut feeling to pick that one person? It kinda doesn't add up. (no disrespect) I don't see the logic, I suppose.

I've always believed that the warm feeling you speak of is instinct. Pure, unadulterated human--animal--instinct. We're all born with it, and usually it's to make desicions based on life and death. And I still fail to understand why god would choose just ONE person from ONE religious group to be his prophet/voice. It's illogical, and I believe that God is the highest form of logic in the entire universe. The catholic pope is chosen by other priests, they don't pray on it, they vote on it; based from how the priest carries himself and how devoted he is to god and what not. Why wouldn't God choose a prophet for each of his denominations of religion?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast