+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Do Teachers Go Too Far?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

When Do Teachers Go Too Far?

Teachers are always looking for ways to bring the classroom to life, to touch those they educate and to make waves in the field of education through creativity. Unfortunately, their "experiments" don't always strike parents or students as fair or even moral.

In 1967, a high school teacher organized "The Third Wave", a student group he said was designed to instill discipline, a sense of community and pride. He taught his students salutes, told them they would change the world, and encouraged them to feel special, "not like everyone else". At the end of the week, he told them the group had gone nationwide and that they would be shown their new "celebrity" spokesman. He then showed them a film of Adolf Hitler and told them that the entire movement had been a lesson to show them how Germany fell under the spell of the 3rd Reich.

In 2006, students in a middle school in Florida with last names falling between the letters L and Z were forced to wear yellow stars while the other children were encouraged to taunt them and treat them poorly. They were made to sit at the back of the room at lunch time. One student went home in tears because he had been "a jew at school".

Did these teachers go too far? Have your own teachers ever gone too far?

Otaku BAUTIFULSOUL is off to a good start BAUTIFULSOUL's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: When Do Teachers Go Too Far?

yes i think this teacher went too far with that lesson thing because it effected the future and many students were hurt because of his lesson which didn't really help anyone or anything (in my opinion) and his lesson only taught people to make fun and hurt innocent people. and no none of my teachers have ever gone that far or too far.

IF YOU LISTEN CLOSELY, YOU CAN HEAR MY HEART BEATING FOR YOU.
    THIS BEAUTIFUL SIG MADE BY LASURA=D

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

It is my understanding that these teachers that you used as examples were either disciplined severely or lost their jobs entirely because of this.

But yes, I've had a teacher go too far. My 8th grade social studies teacher thought it would be a good idea to show Schindler's List and Swing Kids to a group of 12 and 13 year olds with out consulting the parents first for permission, concidering the graphic and explicit nature of both the programs (The Gruesome death and explicit sex scenes in Schindler's List, and the Suicide scene in Swing Kids). She lost her job and had her teaching credentials suspended for a year.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post

In 2006, students in a middle school in Florida with last names falling between the letters L and Z were forced to wear yellow stars while the other children were encouraged to taunt them and treat them poorly. They were made to sit at the back of the room at lunch time. One student went home in tears because he had been "a jew at school".

Did these teachers go too far? Have your own teachers ever gone too far?
    I think that 2006 experiment and others like it (like the Milgram experiment) are absolutely necessary to make people understand certain aspects of themselves. People who say they would have never followed someone like Hitler if they were there at the time amuse me. Of course there are always some who resist but the overwhelming majority (gladly) participates.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

its there a saying like "you can only fully understand how someone feels when you have experienced it first hand". I think it was a good way for understanding what it was like. You can't really be told and then understand it. Its like when you get bullied, you only understand how it feels when your bullied yourself.

I agree with Hassun. Its a good way to learn. Back when I was in primary school in our final year we were able to wear Victorian school uniforms and learn what the education was like back then with out the cane being used. It was very helpful and helped me understand more.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Newbie 59wayz is off to a good start 59wayz's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I do believe in that case that some teachers and schools are getting out of control. Why can't we just put them all in the same uniform and grab a ruler and smakc their hands and ass to teach them the lesson.
    Last edited by 59wayz; Nov 12, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

Based on this issue, the teacher went too far to make a student cry. why my own teachers almost made me cry when we had a program on racism.This is too far. No student or human being, should ever have to be treated with such disrespect.
    Yeah, Bye.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the teachers went to far. You can learn about Hitler in textbooks and yeah, it'll stick, but you won't fully understand unless you experience it.

I've always been one who's learned damn near everything better through experience. Y'know, hands-on. So, I applaud those teachers. So some kid cried over being "The Jew" in class. Tell that kid to man up or quit being racist--whichever comes first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast