+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When was Jesus Christ Born?

Newbie sarcosuchus is off to a good start sarcosuchus's Avatar
    Thanks

When was Jesus Christ Born?

Christmas is almost coming, few days left before Christmas but.... do you believe that December 25 is Jesus Christ's birth day? Do you believe that it is necessary to celebrate Christmas? what is your opinion?
    sarcosuchus bite

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: When does Jesus christ birth?

I'm not a strictly religious person, but I believe that Christians will tell you that December 25 is a celebration of Jesus Christ's birth date. Some argue that it's in fact the day before, or the day after, but the main belief is that it was in fact December 25.

I do think that Christmas Day has lost much of its meaning though. To many people, Christmas is simply a day to give out and receive gifts from family and friends. When the word Christmas is mentioned, images of Santa and wrapped-up presents under Christmas trees come to mind. How many children celebrate Christmas without knowing exactly what they're celebrating?

I guess it really does depend on whereabouts in the world you are. In Australia, Christians dominate the continent, so Christmas is always big. Just down the street from my house is a family that has completely decorated their house with bright lighting and fake snow and Christmas trees and cardboard Santas. It's quite normal to put up bright lights during the Christmas season.

Yes I do think it's necessary to celebrate Christmas, especially in such a Christian-dominated society. It's custom to celebrate Christmas here, even if you're not strictly religious. Although it has lost much of its meaning over the years, it's important in that it brings family and friends together, and is generally a happy time for most people. I've also come to think of it as an early celebration for the end of the year, because it's so close to the new year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical shadow angel For This Useful Post:

sarcosuchus (Dec 07, 2008)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: When was Jesus Christ Born?

The fact is, we will never really know the exact date of his birth (year, or day) until we come before him to be judged after we die. But we still celebrate his birth on the 25th, just like we remember his Death every easter (which doesn't have a fixed date...).

This page might be a good read if you're interested: Chronology of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I was always under the understanding that both of the popular Christmas an Easter dates were more so pushed by the church to divert away from pagan holidays that exsisted on or around those dates.

I found a site that touches on that, as well as other ineresting perspectives about the day December 25th NOT being the day of Chrsts birth.

When was Jesus Born?

Another interesting thing they pointed out on this site, is that in the bible they say the shepards were out in the firelds with their flock. And that it was common for shepards to have their flocks out in the field between the months of April and October? That they would keep the flocks sheltered during the winter months. This would suggest Christs birth to be sometime before october....

There is also speculation about the whole nativity story. As in, the wise men never coming to a manger at all. In fact the bible suggests more so that the wise men did not greet jesus with gifts until he was a "young child". Probably a toddler. ect.

Here's a site I found that mentions more about that: Zero wise men saw baby Jesus in manger

Either way, I take christmas as a day to recognize the bith of Christ. But I only do that because thats what everyone else is doing. For me personally... Christmas has become more about creating a sense of magic and joy for my children... and being around (attempting to enjoy) the rest of my family.
    ... Not Ever Again...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peach_follows For This Useful Post:

Newbie z0rn is off to a good start z0rn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I was always under the understanding that both of the popular Christmas an Easter dates were more so pushed by the church to divert away from pagan holidays that exsisted on or around those dates.

I found a site that touches on that, as well as other ineresting perspectives about the day December 25th NOT being the day of Chrsts birth.

When was Jesus Born?

Another interesting thing they pointed out on this site, is that in the bible they say the shepards were out in the firelds with their flock. And that it was common for shepards to have their flocks out in the field between the months of April and October? That they would keep the flocks sheltered during the winter months. This would suggest Christs birth to be sometime before october....

There is also speculation about the whole nativity story. As in, the wise men never coming to a manger at all. In fact the bible suggests more so that the wise men did not greet jesus with gifts until he was a "young child". Probably a toddler. ect.

Here's a site I found that mentions more about that: Zero wise men saw baby Jesus in manger

Either way, I take christmas as a day to recognize the bith of Christ. But I only do that because thats what everyone else is doing. For me personally... Christmas has become more about creating a sense of magic and joy for my children... and being around (attempting to enjoy) the rest of my family.
    Christmas holds similar meaning for me. It's a time of the year when you celebrate your friends and family by exchanging gifts to show your appreciation for them. It's also an attempt to have some joy in your life during the coldest and darkest time of year.

As far as its spiritual significance. I'm not sure if I believe that Jesus was a real person. Historians have found records of a man by that name that lived around that time (Jesus of Nazerus(sp?)) but there is speculation whether this is the Jesus from the bible or not.

I'm more inclined to believe that the Nativity story, as well as the Death and Resurrection, are literary re-tellings of astrological events. The move Zeitgeist does a very good job of explaining this. Better than I could do in this post anyways.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

That is Jesus. People back then for the most part during this day and age didn't have last names, that came about much much later, so to identify two people of the same name as individuals would be to use where they are from/born/provence/city/state... so on and so foth as a last name. Thats why you see people say "I am Hans from Brusles Germany" for example compared to "Hans from Burlin Germany." But that is the same Jesus as Jesus Christ.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scourge For This Useful Post:

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

christmas is not his birthday.
    the catholic church chose this day only to get the pegins to convert to cathalosism(spelling??) Jesus was most likely born in the spring somewhere around march or april.
    So no he wasn't born on the 25th of christmas. But it doesn't mean you cant celebrate his birthday then. No one really knows for sure when it is. I just say as long as you celebrate it thats all that matters. Doesn't matter the day.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to P.R. Princess For This Useful Post:

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sarcosuchus View Post
    Christmas is almost coming, few days left before Christmas but.... do you believe that December 25 is Jesus Christ's birth day? Do you believe that it is necessary to celebrate Christmas? what is your opinion?
    There was a similar thread on this last year. I gave a long answer then here.

When do I personally believe Jesus's Birthday was? April 6th. Ok, seriously I believe he was both born and died in the spring. No, it has had nothing to do with Pagan celebrations, in the early Catholic church it was celebrated at times throughout the entire year as no one could agree on when either. Eventually it came down to him either being conceived in the spring or born then and the ones who believed he was conceived then won, hence the current December date.

Yes, the wisemen didn't come for a few years, anyone who has taken the time to read it in the Bible know that. After that Herod had all of the male children 2 years and younger killed to try and destroy him but they had already left. One of my favorite carols actually tells this story.
    1. Lullay, Thou little tiny Child,
    By, by, lully, lullay.
    Lullay, Thou little tiny Child.
    By, by, lully, lullay.

2. O sisters, too, how may we do,
    For to preserve this day;
    This poor Youngling for whom we sing,
    By, by, lully, lullay.

3. Herod the King, in his raging,
    Charged he hath this day;
    His men of might, in his own sight,
    All children young, to slay.

4. Then woe is me, poor Child, for Thee,
    And ever mourn and say;
    For Thy parting, nor say nor sing,
    By, by, lully, lullay.

Is it necessary to celebrate Christmas? If you are a Christian why would you not?Is there a more joyous reason for celebration then the birth of the King of Kings?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast