+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: when and where to protest...

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

when and where to protest...

ok, we just had a memorial for a soldier killed in the ambush, kidnapped and later found in a river in Iraq this last week. Cpl. Joesph Anzack (20)was brought to his old highschool and honored. it was a tragic loss to the family and another reminder about how close to home this war in Iraq is to me. what gets me is that some people would pick this day of all times to protest the the war and other ideals. the police had to come out and actualy protect the anti-war protestors from the students of the school, who i know have several friends in this war. now i think its disgraceful of them to stand on the corner wearing shirts and holding up banners declareing how much god hates gays?? and how much god now hates the US...give me a break...when everyone else is pouring there support to a family that had to pay a heavy price. it was in very bad taste...

am i wrong in thinking that a protest at this kind of event is not only counter productive but also aimed at the wrong people...if people want the policy to change shouldn't they go and bother the politcos in D.C. where the gov. is...its like trying to picket a gas station about the oil prices when the refinery sets the cost...the idiots that want to protest about that should A. get a ticket to saudi arabia and protest in the freaking desert where the oil is pumped or B. go to that gas companies HQ where the CEO is and bug him about the price not the stations which are pretty much forced to go with the prices that they are given...am i right or wrong...and why the hell dont these folks think about things before they go and protest something...
    Don't Panic

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: when and where to protest...

If you're talking about the same group I'm thinking of, it's members of the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas and/or their supporters. They go to the funerals of soldiers with anti-gay banners and signs; their feeling is that soldiers are dying because God is angry with America for its "acceptance" of homosexuality and general lack of morals. Apparently, they also protest at the funerals of those who've died of AIDS.

I don't know that there are words to describe how disgusting this type of behavior is, or how insane their so-called logic is for disturbing grieving families and friends of the deceased. Free speech is all well and good, but there's something to be said for knowing when to keep your mouth shut. And I agree, if these people want to criminalize homosexuality so badly, they should take it up with the policymakers in D.C.
    Last edited by gren; Jun 03, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I respect the right of free speech, and for people to think whatever they want, but protesting has honestly lost all effectiveness and isn't even a shadow of its formerself, it's just a complete opposite of what it should be. Now it's just an excuse for angry people to get together and complain loudly.

I think it is in very very very very poor taste for these people to go around to funerals and memorials to try and stir up attention (because that's honestly what they want....it's not to prove a point, it's just to get media attention). If they held a protest in their frontyard, no one would pay attention....but if they somewhere that people are mourning, or someplace unexpected, the media gets all over it. If these people were truly trying to make a point, they wouldn't go to places like these.....sure, they are flaunting their opinions, but they aren't protesting for the opinions, just attention. The only way a protest will get attention is if it A) turns violent, or B) is causing trouble. While this protest wouldn't have been violent, it WAS trying to cause trouble.

Back in the 60's, when the protest movement actually started taking off, it was getting media attention simply because it was a protest. They didn't happen often back then, and when these new movements from college students and the public started parading around to prove a point, people were taken aback by it, because this hadn't really happened on the same scale. Sure, you had workers strikes, but they were limited to a specific work force, or group of unions. The protests of the 60's were only limited by political thought. So when a huge group of people suddenly start protesting, it got attention.

But that was back in the 60's, and protesting has lost its meaning, since it has been kicked to death and done so many times. We're just too use to them. People no longer care if a protest is held unless it gets violent, or out of control. Then it's news. And that's what that group is trying to do, just cause trouble. They are just a bunch of thugs trying to get attention.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

yes, a good point. i thank the local papers for ignoring the hecklers that were at this memorial, it was not even mentioned in the next days paper. only video footage of the casket and family and friends of the lost soilder a=was taken by the news crews...look at the riot that practicly engulfed the G8 summit in germany. way to protest for peace and shit, by attacking the police guarding the g8 leaders...they(protesters) have really lost touch about it all huh?
    Don't Panic

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

YouTube - Fred Phelps supporter on Hannity & Colmes

Obviously these people are not reasonable.

I think they should sacrifice themselves to their god if they are so holy.

The Phelps disgust me, and are a disgrace to Christians everywhere. They are all raving lunatics, and hopefully someone will set them straight, on this plane, or the next.

Cpl. Anzack was a brave man. Don't forget that. And also don't let the tactics of one fringe group make you question the validity of freedom of speech and protest.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    But that was back in the 60's, and protesting has lost its meaning, since it has been kicked to death and done so many times. We're just too use to them. People no longer care if a protest is held unless it gets violent, or out of control. Then it's news. And that's what that group is trying to do, just cause trouble. They are just a bunch of thugs trying to get attention.
    It's not only the volume of protests, it's the fact some of the things people choose to protest these days are just idiotic. Case in point, here in Chicago, there was a big to-do about Marshall Fields becoming Macy's. People stood outside the store with picket signs, ranting about how Fields is a Chicago icon, and Macy's wasn't welcome. When I see people wasting so much time and energy on something so trivial, it pisses me off that more energy can't be focused on eradicating homelessness, fighting crime, educating the youth, you know, things that actually matter.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee's Avatar
    Thanks

Man those people are rude and disgusting. I understand you have the right to freely express yourself by protesting but not at someones funeral. The family, friends, and everyone else are trying to mourn a loved one and don't need to deal with that. Go protest to the government or picket somewhere else jeez. People sure can be dumb and seriously insensitive sometimes.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Everybody keeps forgetting why we went to war to begin with, they need to be reminded of the twin towers coming down again. We were attacked!! It is disrespectiful to protest things like the war at a war vets furnal! Some times people don't think of other peoples feelings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast