+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who killed the Electric Car?

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Who killed the Electric Car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    Electric cars have no exhaust, hence we all know they are more environmentally friendly to use.
    I guess it would depend on your definition of environmentally friendly. Sure there is no exhaust, but is the process of creating the electric car more "environmentally friendly" than with gas-powered vehicles? I don't know the answer to that off the top of my head, but I can make an interesting comparison using the issue of ethanol fuels made from corn. The ethanol fuel burns "cleaner" than gas and the source is renewable. On the flip side, the process of making the fuel from the corn creates more pollution than refining and burning the gasoline.

Nuclear energy can be used to make electricity. We do not need fossil fuels.
    Personally I am a fan of nuclear power. But that is more politically charged than electric cars could ever become. After Chernobyl and in our 'zomg terrorists are everywhere' perpetually paranoid state the US government would rather destroy the future to feel safer today.

If the economy had to go electric, then I'm sure companies can produce better batteries to fill our needs.
    If only it was that easy. I met some folks at a meeting who developed a battery system that had powered an iPod 24/7 for three months. Yet no one will see it in their own personal iPod unless they want to pay thousands of dollars for their battery.

The batteries can be produced, but no one can afford them.

In the YouTube video, they showed electric cars to be quite powerful and zippy. So electric cars can surely fill our needs.
    There is no question that an electric motor can haul the necessary pounds around and do it in a timely fashion. Where I work we use little electric trucks to tow 5-ton loads around.

The major failure with electric cars, as I see it, is that we are fifty years behind with the technology. Automakers have been too complacent with the internal combustion engine.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

This video is quite interesting:

YouTube - EV-1 : Who Killed The Electric Car ? OPEC ? US Govt ?

About producing electricity, here in Quebec we use Hydroelectricity and we've got plenty of that, the only bad point is slowly deteriorating the quality of the water where the electric dams are situated. So electric cars would be pretty much a good thing in all aspects cost wise. Too bad hydroelectricity isn't possible everywhere, though in China they are gonna have a ton of it once their colossal dam thingy is done...unless it's already done. There is also a lady in the video that uses solar power to charge her car, and still it doesn't seem to cost "that" much to charge a car.

About making the distance and horsepower, look at the youtube video at the start of my post, near the end, there are 4-5 people who "made" their cars and proved that generation "300 horsepower" and achieving 300-400 kilometers a reality with just one charge.

I think these are interesting points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote:
    The electric vehicle is not for everybody. It can only meet the needs of 90% of the population.

^^ not everything can make everybody happy

heres the chain of killers

[auto makers]-[gas companies]-[unemployed workers layed of cuz no money in the car bizz]-[iraq's oil]-[troops protecting the oil]-[bush wants the oil]-[bush]

ok heres the explanation
    - the american economy is dead, and if electric cars are made, they would sell no gas, a business that makes billions a year.so the enviroment would be saved, but we would be all poor in a matter of years

until gas is free, i walk

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Newbie Solarsoldier001 is off to a good start Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't you also think that the electric car came out to early? No one really took any interest in the car, and we didn't even realize how much we would really need a car like that until 2001 really, I think that is about a year after it was retired. I'm not saying that it's not the oil companies fault or political corruption (which I highly believe it was). But if people actually took action before then maybe the cars would still be out today. I love that documentary, it's probably the best that I've seen. And I hope a lot more people see it, so when a car like that once more appears the people of America can fight for what is truely theirs, but you know it doesn't help that there are idoits out there that purchases H2 and SUV's. I believe that the government should start taxing people for those cars instead of giving them tax reduction. They are just trying to send us into the flames of hell.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsoldier001 View Post
    And I hope a lot more people see it, so when a car like that once more appears the people of America can fight for what is truely theirs, but you know it doesn't help that there are idoits out there that purchases H2 and SUV's. I believe that the government should start taxing people for those cars instead of giving them tax reduction. They are just trying to send us into the flames of hell.
    Now now. Let's be reasonable. You can't expect everyone to want an electric car. I don't want a car that goes 90mph top speed. Secondly, the government would be overstepping their boundaries by raising taxes on certain cars. Think about it. Cars are one of the biggest things in America. Can you imagine the havoc the government would create if they started raising taxes on non-electric cars/SUVs.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    Now now. Let's be reasonable. You can't expect everyone to want an electric car. I don't want a car that goes 90mph top speed. Secondly, the government would be overstepping their boundaries by raising taxes on certain cars. Think about it. Cars are one of the biggest things in America. Can you imagine the havoc the government would create if they started raising taxes on non-electric cars/SUVs.

Your right it would create havoc, but unfortunatly, it seems the only way to motivate people to do something about the environment is to put a tax on thsoe things that a creating damage to it, like SUV's, which is sad to say, money is always a good motivator.

But, so long as those 'damaging' cars are seen as much better than electric cars or until electric cars are seen as a fitting replacement, regardless of price people are still going to use the better one. The rising cost of petrol (oil) hasn't stopped any one from using their cars, maybe a few people, but not the majority.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    Now this brings up an interesting point. How would you compare the havoc and economic disruption of the domestic car industry vs the potential havoc and economic disruption caused by long term Global Warming. (Don't invest in any coastal property in Florida!!!). There is also the long term strategic issue of this countries growing dependency on energy imports from unstable regions of the world. In all cases, some people would be hurt. But in the long run, which issue would cause the least amount of damage?
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3