View Poll Results: Old ones? Who will be responsible for them???

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Institutions

7 10.61%
  • Family

53 80.30%
  • Others

6 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread: Who Should Care For The Elderly?

Newbie CoNtR0l may be famous one day CoNtR0l may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Who Should Care For The Elderly?

I think the family
    should least you could do
    is help him out

Anime Black-Join My Anime Forum
    http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_Black

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

If you do put the elderly into institutions the most important thing to look at is are the elderly being pampered? Are each and every one of their needs met by the staff? Are the elderly completely and fully cared for?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, don't put your loved ones there. Several studies have shown that if you take away all the responsibilities of an old man or woman and pamper them they will quickly lose the will to live and tend to die off fairly early. It is very important, especially for the elderly to still have some responsibilities, even if it's just taking care of their own plant in the room or perhaps a cat. Basically, a reason to wake up every morning.

Those who had responsibilities were happier and lived longer in these institutions than did the elderly who had every need taken care of by someone else.

Otaku rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai's Avatar
    Thanks

uhh.. shouldnt that family??? I mean would you want to be taken care of by your own family than someone you dont know..
    Thank you Lasura!
    My lover speaks; and he says, 'Arise my beloved my beautiful one and come!' -Song of Songs 2:10

Newbie Flclking22 may be famous one day Flclking22 may be famous one day Flclking22's Avatar
    Thanks

The family should have to take care of them. They took care of them when they were kids so they should have to help them out in their time of need. But the discission who gets the old ones is tough. But We chose upon who had more debt upon their head from all the stuff they got form the parents. So my Aunt got my grand parents. And then my other ones are the healthiest old people that i have ever seen. My grandpa runs 40 miles every morning. :O I c ant even run 10 without dying. So yeah. thats how we handle it. TAKE CAREW OF YOUR PARENTS WHEN THEY GET OLD! THEY TOOK CARE OF YOU WHEN YOU SHIT YOURSELF.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

i agree with vegeta on this plus i think they should be put in an institute
    who has time to take care of all the needs of someone with how
    families are?

example your supposed to give meds , spend time to talk with them
    give them things to do like gardening but you have kids that are noisy and
    are bad there nerves for what ever reason why put them through all
    of that? the institutions have no kids or loud noises which is less stressful
    than living with family
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku LouisaDeztini may be famous one day LouisaDeztini may be famous one day
    Thanks

Born into a chinese family, brought up with family, taught the cherished values (or what is applicable in our modern times anyway, especially in Singapore), I speak from an asian, who is influenced by quite a lot of western culture), point of view. The thing is, it is assumed that it will always be family that takes care of their elders. I don't believe that it is just the youngest in the family who takes care of their parents, eventhough my mum is the youngest, and taking care of my grandma. The responsiblity should fall to someone who is capable of looking after their parent's/parents' needs.
    Money, housing, family, and medical conditions are major factors in choosing where the elder should stay. There will never be a definite place that all should stay at. Why debate for so long over a matter that cannot be solved, unless every single elder in the world is exactly the same. If that happens, woe unto us.
    Ever heard of taking turns? If the elder needs medical assistance and is better served at a home, then send them there. Make regular visits to keep their mind sharp. When it is not so bad, take the elder home. It's not as if they take up a lot of sapce and eat a lot or anything, my grandma probably eats half of what I eat, and I already eat quite little.
    Many a time, elders only want friendship, companions, family, shelter and other basic neccessities. With the exception of those who require medical attention. Even then, those who should go to the hospital or a home, often resist, not wanting to be a burden to the family. then.
    We can say that we will take them in, clothe them, give them food etc.
    But when the time comes, can we really live up to our claim?
    Like I said, there is no definite answer. Their path of live changes every single day. They may be fine one day in our hoome, the next day, for all you know, they may need to go to a home to be better taken care of.
    They may be very critically ill in the hospital one day, the next week, a miracle may happen and they may up and about, running with the younger generation (my grandpa did it once. unbelievable but yeah)
    We should review the condition of the elder first. What they need. Medical attention? 24/7 attention etc. After that, we turn to review family. What can we do as our duty. What family can provide what etc. If they can't fulfil some requirements, move on to the next option - nursing home etc.
    As for me, what better way to thank my parents for bringing me up, for tolerating my tastes and my moods, for teaching the values that would help me in life, then to take care of them? If I could, in the near future, let them live in my home, fulfil their needs, I would be more than happy to oblige. If I can't, I'll have to do my best to find them the best accomodation and do my part for making their 'golden years' realy golden. Seriously, to be able to take a break after having to take care of two often high-strung girls, and a baby boy while (possibly) facing a mid-life crisis at the age of forty plus is very appealing ain't it. I cannot imagine being in my mum's shoes. My teenage identity crisis, my sister's wannabe phrase, and my brother's tantrum phrase all at one go, was not the best periods of time.
    They worked hard to piece and sustain the family together, I say, when the time comes, let them give their opinions, and I'll take it from there. I definitely know that my mum wants to go to somewhere exotic, and Singapore can't be considered exotic, can it?
    Ok, I think I've said most of the important points. Have fun debating over what cannot be fully answered
    Last edited by LouisaDeztini; Nov 03, 2006 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to add my two cents worth

Otaku toonfan630 may be famous one day toonfan630 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think they should stay in a nursing home but the family should come and take care of them at least 3 days a week. It would be better if the young children go to see them because the elderly and young kids are alike. They feel lonely because everyone else is too busy for the both of them so they would be great company for one another.
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde.

Leave me and my simple sig alone. I like it. ^o^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7