+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: why is the media lying to us?

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: why is the media lying to us?

Like what been said, all the media ever is, is negative.

But, the media is a business/organisation, and like a businesses, they are there to make money. And they make money dependin on whether or not the public watches/reads/listens to it. So basically, they are showing us what we want to watch - or maybe they are effectively telling us what we want to watch?

kinda off topic but, parents want violent video games banned and yet at 5-6 at night the news is on constantly showing blood shed? why isn't the news banned?

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Alright, boys and girls, let me tell you right off that my post is biased, as I work for a newspaper.

So, for my first statement: The media is not lying to you.

You are just being paranoid. We are not out to get you and we are not trying to control your minds. A lot of news is negative because that's what news is. Recently it has been very negative because we're in a war where we're suffering quite a bit of human loss. That's negative, sure, but people want to know that we're suffering human losses.

Should the media actually lie to you and say that the war is all sunshine and happiness and cupcakes? Or should they say that Kim Jong Il and N. Korea are not developing nukes, but rather giant missiles of joy and prosperity that he plans to share with everyone? Or maybe they should say that Ed Bradley didn't die today, he was just playing a huge practical joke. (Bonus points if you knew who Ed Bradley was without looking it up.)

We're in a negative time period right now. We're in a war, there's international conflict and trouble in the homeland as well. What is the media supposed to do, not report it?

There are happy segments when truly meaningful happy things arise. The NY Times did a cover story recently that followed a field medic in Iraq who saved a soldiers life after being sniped in the head with an anti armor round. The article had some shocking things in it, but all in all it shows that we're sending out well-trained people to save our soldiers.

Once you boil everything down though, you have to understand that it is very hard to find positive things to report when you're surrounded by conflict and disaster.

Newbie Daemoniac Night may be famous one day Daemoniac Night may be famous one day
    Thanks

If something sounds like a lie to me I make sure that it is before I pass judgement. If you just keep on saying "It's a lie" without investigating it you will never be sure if it really is a lie. And what if it's the truth and you don't believe it? Wouldn't that make you a lier?

Next time you think the media is lieing, do some research before you point the finger.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

well this is how i see the media. firstly i don't believe the media lie to u intentionaly, true there maybe sometime when they will undoubtfully make errors in their facts and figures. but hey they are just human like every1 else, but if they did that on purpose just so it would fit into their story then that is not acceptable.

but u got to admit that sometimes u feel like the media isn't saying everything that they know. it is true that the media doesn't lie to us, but i do believe they play a part in manipulating the information that they give us. i mean if u look at the war, for the most part most of the information is about ur solders, it is mostly a one sided view on what is happening, and by golly its the side that u are really only interested in. if it was like the 'enermy' side there would be a few ppl that would just look over it and say, "meh, it not effecting me, a little sad though. but what can u do?".

also, not even the internet is a safe place to collect the entire truth. i mean how do u look for new, of course we use a search engine correct. but what happens if the government decides that certain information should be withhold. of course he can't completely stop every1 from seeing it, but i'm sure that they could make some arrangment with the search engine company to make sure that when ppl would search for that certain bit of information they could simpley put it on the end. and knowing how many sites that can pop up do u really think u r goin to find it. i mean it just like finding a needle in a hay stack.

but u can't forget that money makes the world go round. and naturally in all bussinesses, the main goal is to make as much money as possible. so naturally they will only choice to report on things that will only grab ur attention, thats another reason y i think they hold back on the truth a little. but it can't be helped can it?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

The first thing you need to understand is the definition of a lie.
    1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
    3. an inaccurate or false statement.
    4. the charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at his accusers.
    –verb (used without object)
    5. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
    6. to express what is false; convey a false impression.
    Liar seems to be the call of the day anytime you don't agree with someone or it turns out that something was incorrect. Unless it was delibrate however it is not lying. They're human people, no one is perfect.

That said there are those who do lie and when they are caught most of them lose their credibility and careers. When it happens more then once in the same news network I stop listening to them. That is why I no longer care what CNN and the New York Times says/prints.

The rest/majority of the time it simply a matter of bias. As I said they are human not gods. They have beliefs and thoughts of their own and a truly unbiased reporter is extreamly rare. Lets also remember that once you get into countries that do not have their news controlled by the government it is instead controlled by private ownership/corperations. Many times the owners of these news companies directly influence the hireing and fireing and thereby the slant or bias of the reporting. Some are even more hands on in the choices of editing. There are those that keep their hands off and only require journalistic integrity. Again they are as rare as a truly unbiased reporter.

So just keep the bias of the report in mind and don't believe habitual liars and you'll do fine.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

The media is trying to sell a product, just like Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Door-to-Door salesmen, time-share realtors, and Jehovah's Witnesses (no offense). They spin it however they think more people will view.

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the media lies so it can get its ratings up, now and days its just what people want to hear and not. People are always gonna spice something up in someway.

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

dats true.i mean come on,it is part of human nature.but i think dat not all media does dat though.there is bound 2 b a few medias dat is actually informing the public the truth dat they can accept.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast