+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is society trying to force everyone to join a religion ?

Newbie ChaosTempest is off to a good start ChaosTempest's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking What's your religion ?

Do you feel the need to choose a religion it's seems like you just gotta have one like there the latest technological fad without that new ipod your just another nobody . So why did you choose your religion and how do you think you would feel without it .
    Last edited by ChaosTempest; Feb 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why is society trying to force everyone to join a religion ?

I got news for you, this isn't new.

This has been going on since the dawn of religion. (IE Thousands of years)

Except back then, if you didn't join one, well, you normally wound up dead, especially during times of "holy war" like the Crusades. Heretics (People who preached differing idealogy) and Heathens (Those who believed in something different or didn't believe in anything, which pretty much encompassed everybody) weren't very well liked in the Dark Ages.

And I don't know what kind of stuff you're seeing, but I don't feel pressured into joining any religion by anyone, 'cept maybe my parents who pester me every Sunday to go to church, just so they don't have to drive.

Also, lets take a look at Christianity at a moment. They are single handedly responsible for more death and destruction to humanity then any other religion, or political power combined.

Main reason for this is Fear. Christian leaders feared that they would lose influence over their congregation. And we tend to kill what we fear.

We're a violent, brutal race. Makes you glad you're human, doesn't it?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post

Except back then, if you didn't join one, well, you normally wound up dead, especially during times of "holy war" like the Crusades. Heretics (People who preached differing idealogy) and Heathens (Those who believed in something different or didn't believe in anything, which pretty much encompassed everybody) weren't very well liked in the Dark Ages.

And I don't know what kind of stuff you're seeing, but I don't feel pressured into joining any religion by anyone, 'cept maybe my parents who pester me every Sunday to go to church, just so they don't have to drive.

Also, lets take a look at Christianity at a moment. They are single handedly responsible for more death and destruction to humanity then any other religion, or political power combined.

Main reason for this is Fear. Christian leaders feared that they would lose influence over their congregation. And we tend to kill what we fear.

Horray for bein' human!

I agree with you though. It's been this way for quite some time. Humans run in packs, groups, whatever. Gangs, religion, cliques, crew--they're all the same. Despite how humans like to think they have a sense of individuality, there's that need to be a part of something, or a part of a group. To be accepted by other humans. In that sense, it causes conflict due to difference in opinions/beliefs.

I personally think that whatever you choose to believe you do it because it either gives you hope, it gives you a sense of purpose or it makes you feel better as a person. The problem with religion is that theres a conflict between faith and not fact, so the issue is never really resolved. Just swept under the carpet until someone trips over it and remembers why they were fighting.

Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What's your religion ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTempest View Post
    Do you feel the need to choose a religion it's seems like you just gotta have one like there the latest technological fad without that new ipod your just another nobody . So why did you choose your religion and how do you think you would feel without it .
    I was born into my religion, so I don't feel that it was a nice shiny fad that I just had to join, know if I changed my religion then it would be an example of a fad or a change in my belief's. however I have embraced this faith on my own, yes I might have gone to church every week but now that I am an adult, I have the choice to either embrace it or take a different path. so I choose to embrace it because I like what they teach, however I don't feel that group mentality when I think of my religion, I just feel a spiritual side of it. if I was no longer apart of it I don't know what I would feel, maybe emptiness or if I was never exposed to it maybe I would not care but I am sorry that you feel society pushes religion on you, the same could be said about everything, but it is my own personal belief that you are the one who in the end will make the decision and it is not my place to force my ideals on you, it is you who has to find your own answers, that is why I won't say the religion I belong to because only you can choose your own path and who am I to say that you are wrong or right.

Newbie Jitsan is off to a good start
    Thanks

I hate to think that my last post went completely to waste, so I changed the wording a bit to add to the discussion. I feel set back knowing I've already disobeyed the rules. Why not add a little to compensate?

On the subject of religion...
    If the outcome, gains, and loses of an opinion ultimately prove how great a decision was, what about the opinions on those?

Say, for instance, I choose Roman Catholic as my religion and follow it for the rest of my life. Say I also went to heaven. Some would say I made genuine decisions; others would not. Wouldn't you agree that I may have done good and bad, but it doesn't need to be said that my decisions were entirely right or wrong?

My next question is, wouldn't it be nice if religious people would leave those who are not alone and vice versa? But then the line has to be drawn, right? What if religion really is causing problem?

Personally, I think any system or belief should be put through checks and balances so it doesn't harm a person's well-being.
    To one and all, a future!

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

Usually what i see around here is that people tend to follow their parents beliefs and pass it down through generations. And i thought that how it has been for many many years. But everyone is different, that's why theirs not just one belief.

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

because people suck sometimes..lol
    no, because people think if they believe something is true, they panic and think they have to prove to everyone else that it is too.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post

Except back then, if you didn't join one, well, you normally wound up dead, especially during times of "holy war" like the Crusades. Heretics (People who preached differing ideology) and Heathens (Those who believed in something different or didn't believe in anything, which pretty much encompassed everybody) weren't very well liked in the Dark Ages.

Now now, isn't that exaggerating things a bit?

The thing is, people need religion (in the broad sense of the word). While it has indeed caused much suffering. We wouldn't be where we are today if there weren't any large religious groups or grand ideologies. Religion makes people band together, and people working together can accomplish so much more than those who don't. Every single great civilization had a strong religious base if I'm not mistaken. (Western civilization is based largely on the Christian faith for example.)

So while it's all probably myths and fantasy, humanity needed (needs?) it to get to where it is today. As we become more knowledgeable, religion becomes less pervasive but I for one think unless we get to a stage of omniscience (not very likely now is it?) it will never truly disappear.
    Last edited by Hassun; Mar 05, 2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling error

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast