Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will books die out?

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Will books die out?

I've been reading Fahrenheit 451 for the 3rd time now so I thought this might be an interesting question, since the books main concept is describing how a futuristic iliterate America will be when people have completely disregarded books as evil and twisted.

Readers of this book now more than ever are seeing this prophecy come true as new technology is created and new forms of unintelligable entertainment become more numerous and easier to access, prompting today's youth and even some older generations to throw away more time consuming and intelectual pass times like reading for video games, TV or partying.

It's sad, but I think eventually reading books will be completely abandoned as as an acceptable form of entertainment and looked at as only an annoying requirement in school. It's already happening and has been for awhile, and I'm subjected to proof of this transition several times a week; if you sit in a classroom and read a book, you'll probably get a wide eyed stare from someone and they'll ask, "You like to read? No one does that anymore". I get gawked at whenever I take out a book that's even been assigned to everyone else outside of my English class.

But if reading isn't completely abandoned by society, I expect that writers themselves will be so influenced by the direction our generation is taking they'll eventually start dumbing down the complexity of their storylines, relevance of messages and narrow their vocabularies so someone might pick one up. Eventually making books just as unintelligable as what might replace them entirely.

Agree or disagree?
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Exoparadapsyphobia For This Useful Post:

Zatoichi (May 16, 2008)

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Will books die out?

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    I've been reading Fahrenheit 451 for the 3rd time now so I thought this might be an interesting question, since the books main concept is describing how a futuristic iliterate America will be when people have completely disregarded books as evil and twisted.

Readers of this book now more than ever are seeing this prophecy come true as new technology is created and new forms of unintelligable entertainment become more numerous and easier to access, prompting today's youth and even some older generations to throw away more time consuming and intelectual pass times like reading for video games, TV or partying.

It's sad, but I think eventually reading books will be completely abandoned as as an acceptable form of entertainment and looked at as only an annoying requirement in school. It's already happening and has been for awhile, and I'm subjected to proof of this transition several times a week; if you sit in a classroom and read a book, you'll probably get a wide eyed stare from someone and they'll ask, "You like to read? No one does that anymore". I get gawked at whenever I take out a book that's even been assigned to everyone else outside of my English class.

But if reading isn't completely abandoned by society, I expect that writers themselves will be so influenced by the direction our generation is taking they'll eventually start dumbing down the complexity of their storylines, relevance of messages and narrow their vocabularies so someone might pick one up. Eventually making books just as unintelligable as what might replace them entirely.

Agree or disagree?
    And that is exactly why we can't have nice things
    faceplam.jpg

Nah, they won't, perhaps the ones printed on paper might disappeared. Many books are being upload it to the internets for everyone to read. As a matter of fact i have read some online books. (*_^). I don't think writers will change the way they write, there will be always be there someone who might retained the old story writing techniques, although even if they do change. It would be cool to read new vocabulary words.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

To put it bluntly: No.

Not for a long long time, and more then likely, they will just change medium from Paper to digital, we'll still have "Books"

Reading is a more involved activity that makes your brain work harder to visualize what you're reading in your head, and I think they give a better experience since, literally everything is left to your imagination.

Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Thanks

i don't think books will die out. even the movies don't compare to what you see as you read them.and even in this day and age, books will not replace movies. that is why e-books are popular you just have to check you are buying the real one though.
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

Newbie Zatoichi is off to a good start Zatoichi's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe everything has a beginning and an end so eventually books will die out but only to be replaced w/ something that is more advanced and can be put into a small area and trains the brain to imagine to an extent.but yes books will over time die out

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Interestingly enough, they address this issue in a Ghost In The Shell; Stand Alone Complex episode. For those who haven't seen it, in the GITS world technology is so advanced, it's commonplace to have various body parts replaced with cybernetic versions, one character being nothing but a brain in a box with limbs, while 2 of the main characters are full cyborgs, only small parts of their brains remaining. And yet, despite the fact they can link with the internet anywhere, even while driving, there are still paper books around, even with a robot to carefully sort them back into the proper location.

Personally, writing has been with us since we realized we needed to store our thoughts somewhere other than our heads. I don't think they'll ever completely die, though they may become rarer in time, most likely decades in the future I'd say.

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly don't think that books will ever die out. They may not be in the same format that they are now in the future but there will still be books of some sort. Whether they come on a computer or some other type of surpassed technology.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post

Agree or disagree?
    I agree and I disagree.

While I absolutely love to read and I think that reading is HIGHLY important in order to have the grammar skills needed to properly converse with people, I don't think that humanity will become entirely illiterate. Though I DO believe that books are starting to be a thing of the past, what with the inter-web and all. Plus, when people ask me what I like to do for fun and reading pops up in my list of activities, they laugh at me and say, "Reading??? Are you f'real???" Like, it's against the law or something, LOL. Or, "Ask Sprout! That ni**a knows everything! He reads!" Then there's my personal favorite, "I don't read because it's not cool."

You need to know how to read in order to operate a LOT of modern technology. Computers... If you can't read and you own a computer, you're basically screwed!! No internet, no installing any cool games,--Typing skills?? Out the window!!--no IM'ing everyone and their grandmother, no MySpace, no email, etc. Cell phones and video games also apply to this. ESPECIALLY video games!

RPGs, for example. Unless there's a LOT of CG cinematic cut-scenes, you're gonna be doin' a good amount of reading. I know a kid who taught himself how to read better simply from playing Pokemon!! The instruction manuals that show you how to play the game you purchased and give you a little bit of story info and character data would be rendered useless. You can't enjoy a game you know absolutely nothing about. I can't, anyhow.

Yes, there is a massive amount of people who are just plain dumb, due to lack of education or bad parenting; yes, there are people who will just refuse to read, because it's too damn hard or they're just too damn lazy. But, in my opinion, those people are kinda outnumbered. While books may or may not fade from existence, reading will always be important to many people for millenia.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast