+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is yaoi good or bad for the gay community?

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Is yaoi good or bad for the gay community?

Does Yaoi anime/manga shed light on the plight of homosexual men in Japan and elsewhere? Does it give voice to the troubles these men face when developing relationships? Does it make people (girls, mostly) more aware and accepting of homosexuals? Is yaoi responsible for the "gay boom" in the early 90s in Japan where the mainstream media and general population gained interest in the gay and lesbian minorities?

Or does it damage the image of a homosexual man by the misrepresentation of gay people, by the over-dramatic plot, by the girlish fantasies that may not be similar to that fantasies of a gay man? Does it create a community of "fag hags" who love being around gay men because they are "adorable" and "hot" and even "pitiable" because of the problems they face in society?

Discuss.
    関西は最高やねん

Newbie Nocturne is off to a good start Nocturne's Avatar
    Hidin' in your windows, snatchn' your people up.
    Thanks

Re: Is yaoi good or bad for the gay community?

I knew a man in Japan who was gay, and he was absolutely appalled by how "fangirls" treated gay men, especially Asian men. He felt the obsession was demoralizing and women would worship him just because he was a gay Asian and treated him like he was like some guy in a yaoi. I felt really bad for him. D:

I also think yaoi goes above and beyond obsession sometimes. I was at CTcon about two years ago. I saw a large crowd of girls gathering. There was a really good looking Sasuke cosplayer I saw, so I thought they were all trying to talk to him. However, I was sorely mistaken. Two girls dressed up as two Kingdom Hearts characters: Sora and Riku. They were in an intense making out session. Like tongue and everything. o_o; This mob was all squealing ,drooling, and shivering over the idea of watching a live action yaoi. I couldn't help it, I pulled a girl to the side. I stared at her a bit and asked "I know you like yaoi and such..but, you do realize that's not yaoi, but hardcore yuri, right?"

Her faced turned red, and just walked away. A couple of other girls heard what I asked, blushed and went "Ho' shit you're right! D:"

I don't mind Yaoi or Yuri at all. But, I think the fanbase can be a teeny bit crazy and obsessive sometimes. >.>

Orochimaru Fangirl ♥ | MMO Junkie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nocturne For This Useful Post:

Sei-chan (Dec 14, 2010)

Newbie emptycup is off to a good start emptycup's Avatar
    Thanks

hello everyone,
    whereas this might not be a direct reply to the discussion i do want to state my joy in finding such a discussion on a forum(:

I'm new to this forum(and well i'm just plain useless with forums to be quite honest) so a quick hello to everyone~

I'm going to post something more decent to the discussion tomorrow (it is quite late here on this side of the pond), but as a third year university student my dissertation is actually looking at something similar~ (well not exactly similar). if anyone would be interested in taking part then please let me know(: as all ideas and thoughts would be so appreciated, however just so that i could get away with such a "deliciously" shameful plug. i will just offer my own feelings on it.

Personally.

I really don't think yaoi is such a great thing, and i say this from experience, just because I feel that it somewhat mirrors the way western media (and by that i mean the plural of "medium" which to put simply "a go between", i.e. books, TV, radio, comics, films, internet and so on) displays homosexuality today(i'm NOT saying that all media does this, because some do not but quite a lot do):

1. homoeroticism
    2. if featured in a plot, they are normally "outed" or come to terms with their sexuality (normally "pushed" in this direction of the "straight" main character/best friend), and then once realised they disappear from plot never to be seen again.
    3. never rewarded with a romantic partner
    4. (violently) killed off -although this has HEAVILY decreased

the visual stereotypes which are employed i (personally) find really distasteful i mean; Tall older-looking very "masculine" Seme, with a "girly-looking" "petite" Uke. I mean why aren't enough Seme short? or Ukes short with a little pudge on their tummy (and heck let's throw in some "moobs" as well!). why must these notions of "femininity" be employed as visual signs of "weakness" (i.e. small uke is soo cute, so easily overpowered)?

I use to feel really uncomfortable that "rape"/"rough sex" seemed to be the resolution for a lot of these plots; like the only way to reach this form of "romance" or realise "that you are so hot for me" is to violently express it? I use to actually feel hurt because it was almost just differentiating/stratifying homosexual relationship from the "oh so normal heterosexual relationship" (that was dripping in the lard of sarcasm).

finally I feel that the plots are driven by these conquests of the "Seme" and how they must capture/plunder (or in some cases "deflower") the "Uke" and then once that happens it is finished. what? is that what happens in relationships; person finds other person, have "hawt smex" and then POOF! they disappear? why does homosexual romance (depicted in Yaoi) literally have to be portrayed as a "battle" or the "hunting of prey"? why can't we have plots where they feature somebody who goes through relationships learning about themselves as a person?

I've really rambled on here, and I'm really really sorry>,<, I do want to finally state that at the end of the day Yaoi is a text from Japan and actually the way that we might read/relate/interact to it could be totally different to how it is treated in its native country.

I think "fandom" and in general audiences really shape what a text can become as well as have effects on others. um wow, it really feels that I've just rambled, but I hope it adds to to the discussion!

this is such a cool thread(:
    and i have a cat on my lap!

-EmCu

*P.S, excuse the creativity of grammar

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't believe that anime and manga accurately depict or do justice for any people, and I don't believe either should be expected to. If you would attempt to form concrete opinions and beliefs from themes found in an entertainment media, that's user error. Whether the depiction of homosexuals is accurate or terribly inaccurate, the true problem seems to be a persons inability to separate that fantasy world, from reality. Form your opinions based on your experiences. The person must change, not the media, that is unreasonable.

Newbie emptycup is off to a good start emptycup's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree with you Mega >,</
    i've come to realise that A LOT of things in life are neutral (like media, drugs and alcohol) and it's us as people who decide whether it's great fun or not so fun.

i guess i don't want to come across as like some sort techno-phobe but i especially believe that fan-communities should be having more conversations/discussions like this to question the content that is given to them instead of just taking it in like air (which is a bad simile because well "air" you need to live...so uh..yea maybe i should've used something to do with foodO_o?).

on the other hand i personally feel that all sides have to be examined and looked at because yes the person is a big part of this, as so aptly put by Mega, but at the end of the day there was someone who sat in a small room/a studio/an office and said "yes let's do it this way!" a medium still presents somebody else's perspective, and yes the audience can interpret these points of views in a huge variety of forms, but nonetheless somebody decided that this is how "yaoi" should be (on those particular pages).

yes people/fans need to do their bit(even if they do cause many facepalm moments), i just think that some people really just don't know any better, as Nocturne mentionned the blushing "accidental" yuri fan in her post.

to quote Jaws: "we're gonna need a bigger boat..."

but um sorry for my long-winded replies (at least it's not in a seminar...oy vey the death stares...), and my lack of capitalising the letter 'I' (i actually thought of a cool reason but it will probably sound bogus, so i'm ok with the term "lazy"). also i want to say that please imagine the silliest thing when you read my post (i have a bozu haircut if that helps?) but um yea i'm going to shush XD

love, happiness, peace and prana to everyone \^0^/
    -EmCu

Newbie animeboi12 is off to a good start
    Thanks

yaoi is good to me tho
    well cuz it has hot boys
    and u cnt help but look

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

In my opinion I don't think yaoi is good for anyone, but that's merely my opinion. If a person likes it, girl or boy, gay or straight, let 'em enjoy.

Newbie OnePieceGeek is off to a good start OnePieceGeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, well I'm bisexual so I'm not sure how much my opinion really counts, but personally I don't really like yaoi, I think it's WAY too feminine. I always get confused at the concept of guys acting like girls to attract guys who aren't into girls xD It's ludicrous!

Yeah I do think it has somewhat of a negative impact on the gay community though, I can't post a semi-romantic/erotic pic of two guys without getting half of the 12-16 year old girls on the internet messaging me saying "OMG you like yaoiz! lets be pals!" -_-' Then all they ask me is what guys I find hot and what I like about guys and blah blah blah...

xD I like to screw with those girls sometime and tell them what I find sexy about girls. But if fully straight guys get half as annoyed by that as I do, then I truly sympathize with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast