+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you an "adult"?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you an "adult"?

There is something I have been thinking of for sometime that I expect everyone to have an opinion on. That is whether we should change the age of majority (when you become a legal adult) back to 21 or even as high as 24 yrs of age.

Here is my reasons.

1. Research into the affects of sex and childbirth indicate that it is better for a persons health if they wait to have sex/childbirth until they are at least 21.

2. Research into the effects of alcohol consumption have found that damage to the brain from excessive drinking is usually permanent if it takes place before the age 23-24. The same ages that it is most likely to occur. (After that to counter the effects one has merely to stop drinking.)

3. Studies into mental maturation discovered that people do their most changing mentally between the age of 18-21. After 21 one has finished maturing mentally.

So with all the arguing people do about what the proper age for buying alcohol etc is (say 16/18/21) I am thinking we should go in the opposite direction. Raise the age of adulthood to at least 21 and legal alcohol consumption to 23 or 24 (voting ages would of course follow).

What do the rest of you think?
    The screaming may now commence.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Are you an "adult"?

i think raising the age limit would be a good idea
    of course i didnt drink anything till i was 21 anyway
    because of the laws in my state. there are still issues
    with sex drugs etc. but if you really want to be on the
    safe side the age limit should be raised to 21 or 24 even.

but no one can really stop sex or drinking its up to the teens
    who do the acts of drinking and have a night of sex which i think
    is not what love or a relationship is about anyway but hey there kids
    and they haven't developed as you said yet.

more kids need to step up and frown on sex and beer for
    it to have any real affect so peer pressure could be a good thing
    if kids pressure there friends for the right reason.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's something I didn't know:

Age of majority is frequently confused with similar concept, the age of licence, which also pertains to the threshold of adulthood but in a much broader and more abstract way. As a legal term of art, "licence" means "permission," and it can implicate a legally enforceable right or privilege. Thus, an age of licence is an age at which one has legal permission from government to do something. The age of majority, on the other hand, is legal recognition that one has grown into an adult. One does not need legal permission to grow up; it just happens.

For example, in any jurisdiction, the age at which an individual is allowed to exercise the franchise (vote), leave school without taking a diploma, enter into legally binding contracts (other than for necessaries, to which no age of licence applies), operate a motor vehicle, purchase and consume alcoholic beverages, and so on – these are all ages of licence, at which the law permits an individual to perform certain acts and exercise certain rights, with or without any restrictions.

Age of majority pertains solely to the acquisition of control over one’s person, decisions and actions, and the correlative termination of the legal authority and responsibility of the parents (or guardian(s), in lieu of parents) over the child’s persons and affairs generally.

Many ages of licence are correlated to the age of majority, but they are nonetheless legally distinct concepts. One need not have attained the age of majority to have permission to exercise certain rights and responsibilities. Some ages of licence are actually higher than the age of majority. For example, the age of licence to purchase alcoholic beverages is 21 in all U.S. States, but Mississippi is the only state which still retains 21 as the age of majority.
    So, to answer the question, if "age of majority" is used only in the sense of an individual being capable to make rational, informed decisions about his/her own life, without having to answer to a parent or guardian, then perhaps it should be raised to 21. But this could come with its own set of issues; for instance, students who go to directly from high school to college at 18, and live off campus in an apartment. Would they be able to open bank accounts, sign a lease, or set up bills in their own names if they aren't considered adults?

As for the alcohol thing, while all states require a person to be 21 to purchase or be in public possession of alcohol, many do not have a minimum age of consumption, and others allow consumption by those under 21 under certain conditions. The map on this link is from 2005, but should be fairly accurate:

Legal Drinking Age

Interesting stuff.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Devoted Otaku hiei9957 may be famous one day hiei9957 may be famous one day hiei9957's Avatar
    Thanks

im not one yet..in about a mounth tomarrow im going to be 18

Tanks zyta

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

Technically I am not. i only act like an adult. But according to the law (going by the drinking age) I am a long way from being an adult. I am a child in body and an adult in mind.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    So, to answer the question, if "age of majority" is used only in the sense of an individual being capable to make rational, informed decisions about his/her own life, without having to answer to a parent or guardian, then perhaps it should be raised to 21. But this could come with its own set of issues; for instance, students who go to directly from high school to college at 18, and live off campus in an apartment. Would they be able to open bank accounts, sign a lease, or set up bills in their own names if they aren't considered adults?

As for the alcohol thing, while all states require a person to be 21 to purchase or be in public possession of alcohol, many do not have a minimum age of consumption, and others allow consumption by those under 21 under certain conditions. The map on this link is from 2005, but should be fairly accurate:

Legal Drinking Age

Interesting stuff.
    So a age of majority returned to 21 and legal age for "purchase or be in public possession of alcohol" at 24 would be perfectly doable.

I must admit I linked the legal adulthood to alcohol since so many keep saying they should be the same on this site. The two (mental maturity and physical side effects of alcohol) really don't have anything to do with each other, in spite of what everyone seems to think, so there is no reason they should be.

As for students going to college that is a very good question. Perhaps it would mean a need for more on campus housing and accounts to handle such things? That may not be a bad thing. I have heard that credit card companies have been targeting college students. Encouraging them to go into debt to them heavily enough that most will be paying them for a good 10 years or more. If they can't sign up for those cards without a cosigner then perhaps it would be a little harder for that to happen.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Where I come from an adult is someone of 18 years or older. And I have to say I'm quite happy with how it is now. Due to various circumstances I reached mental adulthood at about 15 (maybe even earlier, these things are hard to pinpoint). I never did anything like extreme drinking, drugs, smoking, partying, etc. Not even in college. I have just been the same boring person since puberty.
    This may be an exception to the normal development of of people but I can only speak for my own behavior of course.

In my opinion, most people in their late teens/early twenties do crazy shit just because they reached the legal adult age. When becoming a legal adult, many restrictions from before are lifted. Resulting in a period of more extreme behaviour. I think that If you raise the age of adulthood, the extreme behavior and final adult development will just raise with it over time.

P.S. There are cultural differences of course (age limitations are very different over here compared to the USA) so my input might be completely worthless anyway.

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

isn't it already 21? like your not "officially" an adult till you are 21 ans you have more freedom. but i think 21 is a very good age to become an adult. you are more matue than you were at 18 and think mor logically. 21 is the legal ae last time i heard anyway

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast